What's new

6.5 Grendel vs. .224 Valkyrie for long range precision AR build.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You know, I think I’d shop for a .243.
Since we're talking the AR platform, that would require a whole AR10 build, and for that I'd do a 6.5 CM. A .243 might be an OK deer rifle, but I doubt it's much good for 1000 yd. work.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just make sure you get a barrel no shorter than 24”. ;)

You pretty much have to splurge for a top shelf barrel to get 24 in., Wilson Combat match grade "Super Sniper" tops out at 22 in. and runs about $304, which is reasonable. Not sure I'm up to spending $700+ for a Bartlein.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since we're talking the AR platform, that would require a whole AR10 build, and for that I'd do a 6.5 CM. A .243 might be an OK deer rifle, but I doubt it's much good for 1000 yd. work.

I’m no long range shooter for sure, but all this talk as of late, and checking out @NikonNuts gear, sure tempts me to want to be. It’s like a bucket list item you need to mark off, wanting to be able to shoot a 1000 yards and at least hit what you’re aiming at.

I actually went to Walmart the other day to check out the Savage they had in 6.5 Creedmoor that, was it @HARMON who picked one up there? I can’t remember? Anyway, it was there when I went, and it was just a little over $300. :)

OkieStubble

You pretty much have to splurge for a top shelf barrel to get 24 in., Wilson Combat match grade "Super Sniper" tops out at 22 in. and runs about $304, which is reasonable. Not sure I'm up to spending $700+ for a Bartlein.

I hear ya. I don’t mind spending money on quality gear, as long as I know I will put it to use. I can’t see spending alot of money On something that won’t be utilized or just sits in the safe.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I’m no long range shooter for sure, but all this talk as of late, and checking out @NikonNuts gear, sure tempts me to want to be. It’s like a bucket list item you need to mark off, wanting to be able to shoot a 1000 yards and at least hit what you’re aiming at.

I actually went to Walmart the other day to check out the Savage they had in 6.5 Creedmoor that, was it @HARMON who picked one up there? I can’t remember? Anyway, it was there when I went, and it was just a little over $300. :)
Sodyagitit?

Just checked brickseek.com and the price for the same rifle I bought is now $252.00, shoulda got in on it a little earlier..:)

I just checked a random Oklahoma City WM, zip code 73112, and they are showing $252.00 as well.
One WM at
100 East I-240 Service Rd
Oklahoma City OK 73149 Showed the rifle for $184.00, but of course it is out of stock.

I’m no ar shooter. I’d like to and I’ll start someday, but if you are looking for accuracy at long range, the physics behind a long heavy barrel are pretty sound. If nothing else, the forward mass helps a shooter steady. My 6.5 cm is 26” magnum contour barrel. It’s much easier to shoot than my lighter and shorter guns. I have only shot to 300 yards....so really how much do I need the long heavy barrel, but even at short yardage it noticeably helps me steady.... Id look at heavy, long or both in a barrel.

OkieStubble

Sodyagitit?

No. But I sure wanted too. I thought I might let the wife calm down a bit after the LWRC.

I just checked a random Oklahoma City WM, zip code 73112, and they are showing $252.00 as well.
One WM at
100 East I-240 Service Rd
Oklahoma City OK 73149 Showed the rifle for $184.00, but of course it is out of stock.

Is it with the Accutrigger like yours?

No. But I sure wanted too. I thought I might let the wife calm down a bit after the LWRC.

Is it with the Accutrigger like yours?
Yes, It is the exact same gun, Savage Axis 2 with the stainless barrel. Click Here, Enter your ZIP Code,
Then click on the SKU Finder, then type in Savage, click search, scroll down the page and click on the rifle you are interested in and it will show the price and inventory status.

btw... here it is with a scope Savage 6.5.JPG

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I’m no ar shooter. I’d like to and I’ll start someday, but if you are looking for accuracy at long range, the physics behind a long heavy barrel are pretty sound. If nothing else, the forward mass helps a shooter steady. My 6.5 cm is 26” magnum contour barrel. It’s much easier to shoot than my lighter and shorter guns. I have only shot to 300 yards....so really how much do I need the long heavy barrel, but even at short yardage it noticeably helps me steady.... Id look at heavy, long or both in a barrel.

This was a great post Brian. I pretty much limit myself to 300 yards when punching paper. But there is a common knowledge that when you get out there to a 1000 yards, the type of bullet/caliber, the barrel and the glass, becomes much more important.

I have seen tactical officers carry 20" heavy bull .308's and 26" contoured .308's. And while I have never got to personally compare the two out to 1000 yards, I would imagine the physics of both would still be enlightening. While those were bolt action rifles and this is an AR thread, Physics are physics.

But I do concur, a 20" heavy on an AR, still looks much more aesthetic and pleasing than a contoured 26" would. :)

Never tried 1000 yard shooting, most of mine is out to about 250 due to range limitations. I have read over on the 6.5Grendel forum about guys shooting ar's in 6.5 Grendel out to 1000 yards with good results. in their target and competition section there are threads talking about shooting at 1300, 1500 yards and out to a mile. One is even talking about trying 2000 yards with that little caliber, is suspect that is really stretcing it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've been spending a lot of time on that forum lately, learning quite a bit.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I like shorter barrels on rifles. Since I know I will never be a 1000 yd plus shooter, a 20" at 600 will do just as well as a 22". But if I did want to go out to a 1000 +, it would be at least a 24".
On "that forum" (6.5Grendelforum), there is a table that shows for a factory 123gr. load, the difference between a 22 in. and a 24 in., the 24 will give an extra 25 yds. of supersonic flight and an extra 25 yds. of 900 ftlbs energy over the 22 in. Not a huge difference, but it is there.

OkieStubble

On "that forum" (6.5Grendelforum), there is a table that shows for a factory 123gr. load, the difference between a 22 in. and a 24 in., the 24 will give an extra 25 yds. of supersonic flight and an extra 25 yds. of 900 ftlbs energy over the 22 in. Not a huge difference, but it is there.

I think I'd want a 26 inch barrel. I do know the Barret M107 .50 Cal can shoot a maximum range of almost 2,000 yds from a 20" but that's a whole lot of caliber. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Since the Grendels case volume is not all that great, at some point your velocity would peak and then diminish after a certain barrel length, not sure what that length would be.

Top Bottom