What's new

6.5 Grendel vs. .224 Valkyrie for long range precision AR build.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since the Grendels case volume is not all that great, at some point your velocity would peak and then diminish after a certain barrel length, not sure what that length would be.

That's true. Is 1000 yds at it's maximum range?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That's true. Is 1000 yds at it's maximum range?

Depends on who you ask. It will deliver 900 ft/lbs out to about 450 yds or so, stays supersonic past 1000. As mentioned:
Never tried 1000 yard shooting, most of mine is out to about 250 due to range limitations. I have read over on the 6.5Grendel forum about guys shooting ar's in 6.5 Grendel out to 1000 yards with good results. in their target and competition section there are threads talking about shooting at 1300, 1500 yards and out to a mile. One is even talking about trying 2000 yards with that little caliber, is suspect that is really stretcing it.

OkieStubble

Well, depending on the type of things you want to do with it, if it's just purely precision long range, I think the .224V has the edge in distance and accuracy due to it's greater BC.

But if you're looking for knock down to go along with some precision and distance? The 6.5G will provide all three, even though it comes in a close second on distance and precision to the .224V.

You get all that with Creedmoor also, but recognizing it's platform would be the bigger and heavier AR-10 platform.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm a sucker for the 6.5 bullet, took my first deer with a 6.5x55 Swede. I do like the idea of a bit more downrange smack! I see the 6.5 CM in my future, both in bolt and AR 10 flavors.

OkieStubble

I'm a sucker for the 6.5 bullet, took my first deer with a 6.5x55 Swede. I do like the idea of a bit more downrange smack! I see the 6.5 CM in my future, both in bolt and AR 10 flavors.

Swede and Grendel, very similar. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
You know, I think I’d shop for a .243.
You might look at the 6mm AR (based on the Grendel case) or the 6mm ARC. Neither one is a screamer at 2750FPS but they are slinging 107gr projectiles. The .224 Valk pushes a 90gr at 2600 and change so maybe not so bad? Most likely more kind to barrels than the Valk also...

I think this is why Creedmoor looks inviting. 1400 maximum, 1000 practical and can kill a moose at 600.

Yup! But that is AR-10 territory. Not a bad thing but a different platform. Still love mine!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There is a lot of info about using the 6.5 Grendel, the 6mm AR and ARC as snipping rounds instead of 7.62x51 (.308 Win.) over on the 6.5 Grendel Forum. The cool thing is that they can use an M4 platform to do everything from kicking doors and CQB to sniping anything that the 7.62x51 can do.

OkieStubble

There is a lot of info about using the 6.5 Grendel, the 6mm AR and ARC as snipping rounds instead of 7.62x51 (.308 Win.) over on the 6.5 Grendel Forum. The cool thing is that they can use an M4 platform to do everything from kicking doors and CQB to sniping anything that the 7.62x51 can do.

I bet ole' Eugene Stoner is looking down from heaven, smiling real big and thinking; "I never would have imagined."

:)

Swede and Grendel, very similar. :)
I respectfully disagree. I have both and like both very much. The Swede will push a heavier bullet much faster and give a longer effective range, and also should be better on larger game. The Grendel will function through a AR 15 size action, a Swede would require an AR10 size.. That would be about like comparing a 7.62x39 to a .308 or 30-06

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I was reading a good article on why law enforcement should change over to the .243 for their snipers. Do you think I can find it now. But the gist was a good flat trajectory, it maintains velocity, and most important is the risk of over penetration is much lower than say the .308.

This is off topic but since snipers were mentioned.

OkieStubble

I respectfully disagree. I have both and like both very much. The Swede will push a heavier bullet much faster and give a longer effective range, and also should be better on larger game. The Grendel will function through a AR 15 size action, a Swede would require an AR10 size.. That would be about like comparing a 7.62x39 to a .308 or 30-06

You are quite correct Jeff. I should have said Creedmoor and not Grendel. I seem to be having trouble as of late, typing something when thinking of something different. I hope it isn't a sign of early onset anything? :)

I don't much about the history of the Swede's 6.5x55 or the famous M96 rifle. I do know, it's case is a bit larger and has more capacity,but Credmoor's much higher pressure's give it pretty comparable BC's on paper.

Swede's cross sectional density of it's bullet probably gives it a bit more knock down at a bit further range on moose sized game then CM has.

CM: Grains: 120, Muzzle Velocity: 2,892 fps
Swede: Grains: 120 Muzzle velocity 2,804

Both produce about 11 lbs of recoil from a 7 pound rifle.

You are quite correct Jeff. I should have said Creedmoor and not Grendel. I seem to be having trouble as of late, typing something when thinking of something different. I hope it isn't a sign of early onset anything? :)

I don't much about the history of the Swede's 6.5x55 or the famous M96 rifle. I do know, it's case is a bit larger and has more capacity,but Credmoor's much higher pressure's give it pretty comparable BC's on paper.

Swede's cross sectional density of it's bullet probably gives it a bit more knock down at a bit further range on moose sized game then CM has.

CM: Grains: 120, Muzzle Velocity: 2,892 fps
Swede: Grains: 120 Muzzle velocity 2,804

Both produce about 11 lbs of recoil from a 7 pound rifle.
I really do not know much about the Creedmore cartridge, and not too interested. In reality I have too many to reload, and or store ammo for. From what you just posted 88fps does not seem like much difference. In a modern rifle the Swede could be loaded safely to higher pressure levels, possibly approaching, maybe exceeding the Creedmore, I don't know. All I know is the the Swede was originally chambered for the 1894 Mauser action, a two lug , no safety lug like the later 1898 Mauser, and therefore in factory ammo is loaded to lower pressure levels. I don't have my reloading manual handy, but think they show two levels of loads for different actions. All of my manuals are old enough not to contain infor for the Creedmore cartridge, so I cannnot do any comparison there. My Grendels include a trio of AR types and one pretty little CZ527 sporter, My Swedes are just that, 1896 Swedish military Mausers, my pride and joy being a 1900 model made in Germany by Mauser Obendorf, with a two digit serial number with all numbered parts matching.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The thing about about 6.5 mm cartridges, whether Swede, Grendel or Creedmore, is that the heavier 6.5 bullets sectional density allow them to punch way out of their weight class, so to speak, even with moderate velocities. While the various .22 and 6 mm cartridges may shoot a bit flatter, I don't think they would have the sectional density to penetrate like a 6.5 projectile has.

The thing about about 6.5 mm cartridges, whether Swede, Grendel or Creedmore, is that the heavier 6.5 bullets sectional density allow them to punch way out of their weight class, so to speak, even with moderate velocities. While the various .22 and 6 mm cartridges may shoot a bit flatter, I don't think they would have the sectional density to penetrate like a 6.5 projectile has.
That is exactly what I got from my studies. Look at one of those long 160 gr soft nose bullets you used to see in the 6.5 Swede. The Swedes used them for years on bigger game such as elk and bear with excellent results. Penetration and performance not thought of here in that size bullet. In regards to the Grendel, what I learned was the little 123 gr boat tail hp spitzer performes beyond expectations in long range shooting. It apparently has the perfect ballestic coefficient allowing the bullet to remain supersonic at extreme ranges.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You might look at the 6mm AR (based on the Grendel case) or the 6mm ARC. Neither one is a screamer at 2750FPS but they are slinging 107gr projectiles. The .224 Valk pushes a 90gr at 2600 and change so maybe not so bad? Most likely more kind to barrels than the Valk also...
I think that the 6.5 is the easiest on barrel life, another point in its favor.

nikonNUT

I will say that the .224 Valk is impressive! Went on Federal's website and used the compare feature (6.5 Grendel, 6.5CM, and the .224 Valk and the .224 Valk and the 6.5CM are VERY close in drop and even velocity! 130gr versus 90gr bullets is only only 50FPS different and both lead the Grendel by about 400FPS out of the gate (but the CM wins the wind drift argument by about 25%) But at 500 yards the valk has 685 ft/lbs, the Grendel is at 845 and the 6.5CM is pushing 1277. Ringing steel? Pick your poison. They will all make a plate go "DING!". Putting an animal down clean? 6.5 all the way with me in the CMs corner...

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I will say that the .224 Valk is impressive! Went on Federal's website and used the compare feature (6.5 Grendel, 6.5CM, and the .224 Valk and the .224 Valk and the 6.5CM are VERY close in drop and even velocity! 130gr versus 90gr bullets is only only 50FPS different and both lead the Grendel by about 400FPS out of the gate (but the CM wins the wind drift argument by about 25%) But at 500 yards the valk has 685 ft/lbs, the Grendel is at 845 and the 6.5CM is pushing 1277. Ringing steel? Pick your poison. They will all make a plate go "DING!". Putting an animal down clean? 6.5 all the way with me in the CMs corner...

Agreed. Especially a bigger animal. But the pure flat shooting of the .224V does sound impressive. :)

nikonNUT

True but that pure flat shooting equates to a 2" difference at 500 yards (90gr vs. 130gr). Just comes down to whether you want schlep around an AR-15 or an AR-10 I suppose :)

Top Bottom