What's new

5.56/.223 home defense ammo suggestions

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
After a lot of research I use only 2/34 #4 buckshot in Shotgun shells for home defence. I would not recommend .223 or 556 AR 15 near other dwellings as stated before they will go through drywall easily as per ballistic gel testing which is avalible vea google. i chose #4 buck based on ballictics gel tests and use my AR 15 for range practice only

Are you talking about these ballistic gel tests?

And last but not least, the theory of frangible ammo for home defense in slow-mo. :)

Last edited:
I would have to agree that Frangible ammo is a different beast. I was refering to FMJ Ammo which I use at the range bought in battlepacks, cheaper in bulk and you know how much fun it is to go through a few hudred rounds easily at a time. Even using a 12 guage shotgun I am using #4 buck vs 00Buckshot thou I do have a box of 00buck low velosity which would work in a pinch. Just remmember, if you shoot your nighbor you could be charged with a felony so better safe than sorry is my thinking. My nighbors live very close by as part of my caution

Hollow point, Frangible, low velocity may work fine, as for me I'm only shooting 15 yards at most with adrenalin rush pumping so I'd probably empty the full 30 round clip lol. We all have our favorite guns for every possibility. Personally I would use my Springfield XD Handgun with 12 round clip +1 over any other option with hollow point ammo which is in my night stand. What I like about the Springfield XD is it uses hand pressure to fire which to me is better than a safety switch so in a panic your not guessing is the safety on or off

For home defense I'm going with a shotgun every time. I like my Mossberg Shockwave although I know a number of people do not.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Since the OP original question is what .223/5.56, my answer, right or wrong, is Corbon DPX, same for 7.62 x 39 mm and .30 Carbine (which I keep handy with mags loaded, chamber empty). But I'll grab what ever is handiest, be it .38 Spl, 9mm, .45 ACP, 12 ga. 00 tactical , or what ever. The bad guy(s) probably won't give me much time to make a well thought out choice. Run what ya brung!

Last edited:
A .300 BO upper - which you should have anyway - is a potential answer, but that round may well penetrate better! Yet it can be subsonic... Good ... and at 220 grains, may tumble and not penetrate!

AA
Yup. This. I think you can get frangible subsonic too?

I keep my suppressed .300 BLK upper on all the time at home. Subsonic loaded, full mag inserted, safety selector on full, chamber flag installed.

If ever I need it I want to have some hearing left when it is all over.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yup. This. I think you can get frangible subsonic too?

I keep my suppressed .300 BLK upper on all the time at home. Subsonic loaded, full mag inserted, safety selector on full, chamber flag installed.

If ever I need it I want to have some hearing left when it is all over.

Yes to all three lines!

AA

Top Bottom