What's new

40's Superspeed Plating question

Hello,

I recently tried cleaning an old 40's superspeed with some CLR. The end result I'm affraid is that most of the nickel platting under the "silo" doors has now been lost. The metal is now a light copper color that I assume is either actual copper or possibly brass. An unfortuente lesson learned. I normally use nothing but water an old toothbrush and elbow grease to clean my razors.

My question is, do you think it would be wise to keep using the razor with this missing plating? How quickly do you think I can expect it to start pitting? Aside from the plating loss and non existant end caps the razor is in great shape otherwise.

Hey Mike you could get another one in mint condition for not a lot of money. I paid $12.00 I recall for mine here on the forum. It was advertised as "shaver grade" but was in a lot better condition than that.

Thanks rivieraranch. I may end up going that route. I just hate that I did that to one of my favorite razors! Just grabbed the wrong bottle of cleaner. Was thinking scrubbing bubbles in my head and reached for the clr right next to it. Didn't notice until I came back to it after getting some lunch. :001_unsur

I think it would still function for a very long time as a nice user grade razor without any issues. Just keep it relatively clean. Rinse it off and dry it good after each shave.... although I bet you could just let it air dry and it still won't start pitting for a long time. Worst case scenario is you'll have to find a new one which will cost you $20 or so..... or you could get it replated (which would cost a little more). Obviously, if you're going to replate it, now is the time to do it before the brass starts pitting.... and if you are going to do it, do it now and enjoy it for years to come :biggrin1: .

Ben

I think it would still function for a very long time as a nice user grade razor without any issues. Just keep it relatively clean. Rinse it off and dry it good after each shave.... although I bet you could just let it air dry and it still won't start pitting for a long time. Worst case scenario is you'll have to find a new one which will cost you $20 or so..... or you could get it replated (which would cost a little more). Obviously, if you're going to replate it, now is the time to do it before the brass starts pitting.... and if you are going to do it, do it now and enjoy it for years to come :biggrin1: .

Ben

Agreed. That is why CLR, Vinegar, Boric Acid and Bleach are not good products to clean razors with.

Replate now and have a nice shiny Super Speed.

Or now you have your travel razor.....

I have saved many more razors than I have harmed but I have learned the hard way once or twice myself...:laugh:

I think it would still function for a very long time as a nice user grade razor without any issues. Just keep it relatively clean. Rinse it off and dry it good after each shave....

+1

Nickel suffers from pitting corrosion too. We're talking about razors not water pumps or 4th century artefacts, plating is used more for decorative purposes (doesn't tarnish/dull, stays shinier etc) and hardness than corrosion resistance.
Keep it well maintained and it'll outlast you. :001_cool: Only replate if you want it to look 100% mint again (or clean it less regularly)

Thank you folks! It is very reassuring to know that the razor is still usable without its plating. The idea of it being shiny again is appealing but I think for the cost of replating I could pick up a couple 40's superspeeds in very nice condition. This one will probably stay as it is but still be in my rotation as I love the way it shaves. I don't mind cleaning it more often (gently!) as long as it is usable!

+1 to Ben's comment . . . keep it clean and dry and you'll have a solid user-grade razor forever. Keep your eyes open for a replacement - solid '40s-style Super Speeds are out there, just waiting to be found and are still at a reasonable price.

We (hopefully) learn well from our mistakes. I'll never forget the perfect gold-plated NEW that I decided would look better if I polished it with Brasso . . .

Thank you folks! It is very reassuring to know that the razor is still usable without its plating. The idea of it being shiny again is appealing but I think for the cost of replating I could pick up a couple 40's superspeeds in very nice condition. This one will probably stay as it is but still be in my rotation as I love the way it shaves. I don't mind cleaning it more often (gently!) as long as it is usable!

Definitely don't feel bad about it. I'd say anyone who has owned his fair share of vintage razors who has had to clean them or replace endcaps or what not has ended up doing something to it to damage its condition. I tried to glue an endcap on my 40's style super speed and I ended up pushing so hard that I bent the head. I ended up buying another one and then having that replated because the replacement razor's plating wasn't all there after I cleaned it up. The only reason I went to that much trouble was because it was my mother's birthyear/quarter super speed and I wanted it to be nice. There are a ton of 40's style super speeds out there in great condition though.... keep your eye open and you'll find one for a good deal.

Ben

Thank you both! That makes me feel much better. I have since moved the CLR to a cabinet I never look in just to be safe. :blink: At least the razor still works for me! I'll be on the look out some good deals on super-speeds too. I may eventually head over to the classifieds and post a couple of razors I never use that I think others would appreciate maybe I can even work out a trade.

Top Bottom