What's new

New wet shaver from Netherlands says hi. (pretty pictures inside!)

Yes i have tried to sharpen it already up to 10k grit and completely reground the bevel but i still lack the experience to perfect the final edge.

Previously i thought i was able to sharpen something razor sharp no problem but then i encountered DE blades and omg was i wrong.
That’s something I notice often when people are sharpening different objects and then calling them "razor sharp", while there is a difference between "sharp object" and "razor sharp". But with a bit of reading on the straight razor section, you can understand what is the delta and how you can get to real "razor sharp".

That’s something I notice often when people are sharpening different objects and then calling them "razor sharp", while there is a difference between "sharp object" and "razor sharp". But with a bit of reading on the straight razor section, you can understand what is the delta and how you can get to real "razor sharp".
i always assumed shaving my legs was razor sharp and the leather working tools i've sharpened were definitely sharper than new stanley blades but razor blades are just so incredibly sharp lol.

Working on a bigger version of the gillette stand :D
gillettehouderrender.PNG

Hi, I'm Arthur and i'm addicted to buying vintage razors haha.

I usually shave like 2 or 3 times a year with my rotary shaver because i don't like spending money on disposable plastic rubbish and i don't like electric shaving either so i tend to only do that when i cut my hair.
After the last time shaving i decided to start doing more for my appearance but i hate using the electric razor, it doesn't shave well, needs a ton of passes to shave so i started looking if there were any better newer models and holy **** they're expensive nowadays, so maybe just some new blades and even they cost 40 bucks :O

So i started thinking about other options
I already had a self sharpened gold dollar straight razor that i use to clean up the back of my neck after i'm done with the clippers and i wondered if i can shave my face with it too but the answer was a big fat nope.
Then i spent like an hour sharpening it again with sharpening stuff i have for my kitchen/woodworking/leatherworking stuff and after that it cut hair on my head, arms and legs very well but still didn't want to go through my beard stubble without applying pressure and i was too afraid to do that with a straight razor.

Then i remembered my dad used to have a butterly DE razor that i always found very cool so i started googling and 2 weeks later i have 4 vintage razors lol....

From top left clockwise:
-unknown Single ring clone
-60's british superspeed/rocket/giromatic ? only pictures of this exact version with the 4 blade dispenser i could find was of a giromatic made for netherlands/belgium/france and that fits with my location.
-60's british aluminium handle ball end Tech
-USA 63 "I1" slim adjustable
View attachment 1648492

I got the slim adjustable below for 5 bucks :O
i guess nobody wanted it because it was spray painted black.
i managed to clean off all the paint and there was a bunch of missing plating underneath, prolly the reason it was painted.
But it works fine now, even the quarter tightening turn works :D
View attachment 1648493View attachment 1648494

The single ring clone was also funny.
When i opened the package and took out the metal case it was super heavy and expected the razor to be somehow 3 times as heavy as more modern razors but it was the container with like 40 vintage blades that made up most of the weight lmao.
That thing was super gross, there was even still a vintage blade inside the razor covered with hairs and the spaces between the teeth was half filled with soap scum or something.🤢
View attachment 1648497View attachment 1648495

I also got this Mylord brush with the old razor.
Anyone know the brand or if it is any good ?
I think it's some kind of fake wood.
Dunno what i'm supposed to do with an old brush lol.
View attachment 1648496

Btw, i haven't properly wet shaved yet haha.
I've tried Tech on just one cheek with some ****ty lather i made in a soap tray with a wash cloth because i didn't have the new brush in yet and it went amazing :O
no tugging, rash or blood at all and this was my first wet shave ever at 40 years old :D
Using aftershave was less of a success, i had some really old axe phoenix from my teen years left and used that but i didn't like that stretchy dry feeling on my skin at all.
Is this a common thing for alcohol based aftershaves without moisturizer in them ?
Sounds like a lot of effort fort shaving 2-3 times a year 🙃, but hey, whatever floats your boat

Top Bottom