What's new

2024 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of MacGyver

Ever since my favorite smell got discontinued about ten years ago I'm on the lookout for a replacement I have yet to find.
The one I bought looks like a nice candidate but is not used as an aftershave.
I wore perfume when I had a beard so it's not part of shaving in my eyes. Unless someone here thinks differently I think I'm still in. If not, let me know.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ever since my favorite smell got discontinued about ten years ago I'm on the lookout for a replacement I have yet to find.
The one I bought looks like a nice candidate but is not used as an aftershave.
I wore perfume when I had a beard so it's not part of shaving in my eyes. Unless someone here thinks differently I think I'm still in. If not, let me know.
I’d say you’re still in as long as you’re not using it as an aftershave. An EDP, EDT, or Cologne can be used anytime, not necessarily as part of a shaving routine. I’ve purchased colognes while in the Sabbatical because they are not tied to my shaving routine. There are plenty of times I’ll give myself a little spritz of cologne just before I walk out the door, hours or days after my last shave.

What was the favorite smell that was discontinued?

I’d say you’re still in as long as you’re not using it as an aftershave. An EDP, EDT, or Cologne can be used anytime, not necessarily as part of a shaving routine. I’ve purchased colognes while in the Sabbatical because they are not tied to my shaving routine. There are plenty of times I’ll give myself a little spritz of cologne just before I walk out the door, hours or days after my last shave.

What was the favorite smell that was discontinued?
Gucci pour Homme. The brown one. The blue version was nice for summer too but it was the brown one was my best smell ever.
I was on my third bottle when the news broke and couldn't find it anywhere anymore.
Apparantly the perfumers got into a fitty and the smell is never to be released again by either of the two. Just my luck.
Thanks for confirming Perfume is not part of the shaving ritual, was getting a bit nervous here.

Last edited:
Depends on how you look at it I think, but I am not pointing fingers to where the ritual begins and where it ends. Taking a shower with a soap doesn’t exactly count as preshave right. At least not in my book. But buying a random mug and using that for shaving is. I just wanted to make sure that Cologne doesn’t mean aftershave or similar - wouldn’t be the first item to get lost in translation. But you’re in until you say you are out.

Enjoy!

Guido
That would depend on if you use a pre-shave soap during that shower and needed to replace it... Regular soap, I would think not.

I've always viewed EDP, EDT, or Cologne as an extension of grooming. Whether you use it everyday or occasionally doesn't matter but I feel it is still in the personal grooming realm.

So...... We now have one brother saying I'm out and another saying I'm not.
Shall we do a vote on it?
If it is not part of your shaving routine (as you mentioned) then you didn’t spend anything on shaving.

But for others it is - this is not black or white in that sense. Not everything can be settled in fixed rules. I personally use a broad definition and do not distinguish between aftershave or EdP/EdC, but I only have one perfume bottle.

Guido

Bring it on.
I mean, as my pre shave routine I always take a dump. Is toiletpaper then also part of my pre shave routine?
Why would I use perfume as an after shave? There is no soothing propperties just a lot of sting.
Hmm… two layers or three?

I have no idea why you would or wouldn’t. I don’t mind some stinging. I am still scared to try my Ukrainian aftershave though - 60% alcohol. Either way - let’s just assume you are still in as it is shaving unrelated to you.

Hmm… two layers or three?

I have no idea why you would or wouldn’t. I don’t mind some stinging. I am still scared to try my Ukrainian aftershave though - 60% alcohol. Either way - let’s just assume you are still in as it is shaving unrelated to you.
Don't get me wrong, I love the sting. But it is because of the soothing properties I endure it.
My toiletpaper of choice is the unbleached one ply rough. Or as we call it here, John Wayne *ss wiping paper. I enjoy the scrub it gives over the soft multiply girly paper most people use.

Last edited:
I've always viewed EDP, EDT, or Cologne as an extension of grooming. Whether you use it everyday or occasionally doesn't matter but I feel it is still in the personal grooming realm.
That would include toothpaste too would it not? And hairproduct? And the water you use to rinse your razor and face? Did you buy new water to rinse your face? I would consider that as part of the grooming routine too..:cuppa:

When I started, I figured EDT and stronger was fine, I tend to use them on non-shave days anyway, and even if I use it on a shave day it's not a shaving product. I'd consider it in the same category as a body soap or deoderant. Eau De Cologne strength was an edge case for me, but I decided it was too close to an aftershave. I'm out anyway but that's just my 2 cents.

Still in and going strong!
Haven't shaved in weeks (full beard but do shave cheek lines and the dreaded neck beard!)
Decided to have a luxury Italian style shave.
IMG_20240503_075825~2.jpg

brucered

System Generated
Not part of my shaving routine.

Personally, l don't use it during or after my shave. It has absolutely zero, nothing, zilch to do with shaving for me. No more than hand soap, deodorant or hair products.

Not part of Tom's either. Treat yo self.

5ybK.gif

Last edited:
Let me expound a bit on my previous post... I used to use cologne, EDP, or EDT after shaving in the morning just before I stepped out for the day to go to work or if I had a late afternoon / early evening shave to go out to dinner or a date I used it before stepping out which IMO, is part of the grooming routine. I've even seen some SOTD that had a cologne in the pic which is inline with what I've posted...

Let me expound a bit on my previous post... I used to use cologne, EDP, or EDT after shaving in the morning just before I stepped out for the day to go to work or if I had a late afternoon / early evening shave to go out to dinner or a date I used it before stepping out which IMO, is part of the grooming routine. I've even seen some SOTD that had a cologne in the pic which is inline with what I've posted...
But this sabbatical is about cutting down on buying shaving related products isn't it? The grooming routine is not what this is about. Heck, I would have to go without my pre shave coffee too...

Still in. Wish me luck gentlemen, my daughter is getting married tomorrow. Today I am off to rehersal, then dinner and evening pre-wedding festivities. I am really looking forward to Monday's shave when I'll have my routine back.
Never a better excuse for a close shave! Congrats Rico and enjoy that special moment when your (in your mind still) little girl is walking down the aisle.

Guido

Top Bottom