What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hi,

Ah. I see you got a spare bowl in case one follows your X-wing. And six drop tanks. If MWF depletes as slowly as that half tallow, half glycerine mix I use, that's a couple decades worth.

Of course, you are still with us. No one gets completely Out this year. Thanks to good old Rover, you know. ;)

I had trouble finding you on the master list. I had put Porkins in front of your screen name. :p

Stan

Prisoners

2. KQY61 - No Exception
3. sjblon - No Exception
4. Tillerman - No Exception
5. Noodles - A/S
6. Patrick McGoohan - Always Exceptional
7. VerbaVolant - No Exception
9. elmo_koffman - exception: blades
10. Jim99 - Exception: Italia soap
11. Pepin - exception vintage razor
13. La Malice - Shaving bowl

18. Sandorfi - Exception Vintage Gillette new
20. Crisp Rat - no exception
21. Esetter - no exception
22. Chef455 - Exception Lucky Tiger if Supply Runs Out

24. EB Newfarm No Exception

30. Balin - "The Duke" Exception - Shaving brush
31. JAHE - Exception - modern razor
32. Sotiris_A - No exception
33. Tjsgarden-Exception- razor
34. Contact_vs_Feedback - Vintage razor
35. KW Driver - Exception - Linseed oil/sealers for brush repairs.
36. Cantujm -Exception- Wolfman Razor
38. ByDoms - No exception
39. Ruva - razor
40. Jamesearthdrum - Geo Trumper Coral Skin Tonic
41. cryhavoc - shaving brush
42. T.Orso - witch hazel

49. JKaboom - LEA 3in1

52. kjbarth - no exception
54. Fred D - No exception
56. LJBraaten - Vintage Razor

Out(ed) as Warders

29. awk_m4 - No Exception - 1/31- Bought stuff for sons and dipped in
53. Markdad2 - No exception - 2/6 - Muhle Rocca Stainless
25. JWCowboy No Exception - 2/16 - Neighbor getting out of making brushes
19. ewk - NO EXCEPTION - 2/18 - Mutton tallow soap
16. DougK - no exception - 3/12 - Bic Flex 5 carts picked up out of habit
55. bartje-p - Blackbird (regular) SS plate - 3/17 - Lupo .95 SS w/ HD handle
26. Trollky - tube of Proraso cream - 3/18 - Color Coordinated razor, brush and soap in a shade of red.
27. MaineYooper - vintage razor - 3/24 - Wolf Whiskers' brush w/ Maggard Razors SHD badger knot
8. bjm - Exception: razor handle - 3/24 - Merkur 34C
43. Heron - shave soap - 4/3 - Simpson's brush
15. DEaficianado - razor handle - 4/27 - Greencult razor plate 4
50. Berwick12 - No Exception - 5/1 - Bought Too Much from Above The Tie to feel good about the Group Exception
44. Guido75 - New Razor - 5/10 - Bought himself some B'Day gifts
45. Whisky - No Exception - 5/12 - La Toja soap, etc, quite a bit of it (as it rides off into the sunset)
23. JeffJ - No Exception - 5/13 - La Toja soap and creme, (as it rides off into the su
47. linty1 - no exceptions - 6/7 - something used came up and it's in the exact configuration I wanted
28. (Porkins). CzechCzar - exception TBD - 6/14 - MWF soap as it changes formula

Missing from the village Q1 check-in

12. gdawg55 - aftershave
14. 02FLHTCI- No Exception
17. wmadoty - No Exception
37. Bobbyb - No Exception
46. Doc4 ... exceptions are for wimps
48. Alum Ladd - Nivea post shave balm
51. Chandu - No Exception
57. sirplatypus - blades
Exactly. I like MWF a lot and am done searching for the Next Best Thing.

My current stash is around 10 Speick creams, 1 taconic cream, 10 tallow Speick sticks, 1 DR Harris stick, and now the MWF.

I go over my face with soap and then palm lather cream on top of that. Hopefully I am set for awhile.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Don't want to duplicate content/double post so I'll just link to the "what are you opening" thread of what caused me to fall out of Gruyere:

Much appreciated.

Hi,

Ah. Yes. I Old Typed half my face yesterday. Grandpa's now 100 year old OT. And the other half with my Dad's Post War Tech. And...a noticeably dissimilar shave. But, then, this was not about the shave per se. :)

Back to the Fasan today and that'll fix things. ;)

BCNU (which is an old Morse Code shorthand)

Stan

Still in...!

I'm shaving more or less frequent these days.... living my life in the cozy appartement in The Village I call my home this year has made me a bit lazy, as far as shaving is concerned...
Screenshot_20230110_130526_YouTube.jpg
... but whenever I decide to shave I'm enjoying the good stuff I have found in my large suitcase... 😀

Be seeing you!

Last edited:
Hi,

There were a right good many Morse shorthand schemes. Most of which didn't make it into Chat (the original IBM terminal form of text messaging). Generally, just the ones where we sound out the letters to form words without spelling the entire words. Or, shorter 'close to the word' forms such as TNX for Thanks.

I don't see any use of the Western Union number codes, and not even very many of those in radiotelegraph use. 73, 88 and 76 being the most common. (73=Best Regards, 88=Hugs and 76=God Bless)

There is much use of the later Q signals such as QSO, QTH, QSL, etc. (QSO=Conversation, QTH=Location, and QSL=Confirmation)

I think every wireline telegraph company had their own book of shorthand, but Western Union was the largest of those. And then the shipping radio companies, such as Marconi, had their own as well.

Here is a 30 second video showing Morse v SMS. In it, the Morse goes faster than the SMS can. What make me laugh is the Morse guys are dressed as late 1800s telegraph operators, but using modern high speed electronic keyers. I doubt they'd have won using a straight key or even a period-correct 'Bug' Vibroplex semi-automatic keyer.

I can't go faster than 30 words per minute with a straight key and usually keep it down to 20-25 WPM. But, I have been at it since 1969 with that straight key. My uncle gave it to me when I first became interested and my dad taught me the code with it. We'd sit at the kitchen table after supper sending articles from the paper to each other. Later, the Novice license was code-only back then. The code requirement in amateur radio is long gone now, but some folks still learn it.

73 de W2CK

--.. ...-- -.. . .-- ..--- -.-. -.-

(says the same using the text dots and dashes for Morse)

Stan

Last edited:
Tallow Tabac Tuesday!

1687272463683.jpeg

Hey Guys
Its Tabac Day with excellent tools. I am using an Astra SS blade that is starting to lose it's edge. I have quit counting how many times I use a blade and just go by the smoothness of the cut. I am guesstimating the blade has been used about 10 times. Tomorrow I plan to switch blades. I admire the Excaliburist in our mist and especially congratulate LJB, @LJBraaten on his blade longevity. My Sherona, Bologna, Krona performed excellent and I like the contoured handle. It was a modernistic design in it's day...and today. The B&B Paladin brush is "breaking-in" nicely and I'm glad I got the larger knot.
Oh yeah, I am still in GRUME & GRUYERE

Comfort/Satisfaction: 11
Efficiency: 9.5

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Hi,

There were a right good many Morse shorthand schemes. Most of which didn't make it into Chat (the original IBM terminal form of text messaging). Generally, just the ones where we sound out the letters to form words without spelling the entire words. Or, shorter 'close to the word' forms such as TNX for Thanks.

I don't see any use of the Western Union number codes, and not even very many of those in radiotelegraph use. 73, 88 and 76 being the most common. (73=Best Regards, 88=Hugs and 76=God Bless)

There is much use of the later Q signals such as QSO, QTH, QSL, etc. (QSO=Conversation, QTH=Location, and QSL=Confirmation)

I think every wireline telegraph company had their own book of shorthand, but Western Union was the largest of those. And then the shipping radio companies, such as Marconi, had their own as well.

Here is a 30 second video showing Morse v SMS. In it, the Morse goes faster than the SMS can. What make me laugh is the Morse guys are dressed as late 1800s telegraph operators, but using modern high speed electronic keyers. I doubt they'd have won using a straight key or even a period-correct 'Bug' Vibroplex semi-automatic keyer.

I can't go faster than 30 words per minute with a straight key and usually keep it down to 20-25 WPM. But, I have been at it since 1969 with that straight key. My uncle gave it to me when I first became interested and my dad taught me the code with it. We'd sit at the kitchen table after supper sending articles from the paper to each other. Later, the Novice license was code-only back then. The code requirement in amateur radio is long gone now, but some folks still learn it.

73 de W2CK

--.. ...-- -.. . .-- ..--- -.-. -.-

(says the same using the text dots and dashes for Morse)

Stan
Aviation still uses Morse, sort of. Pilots flying Instrument flight rules (IFR) are required to tune and identify radio navigation stations (ILS, VOR/VORTAC/TACAN, ADF if any are still operational) that transmit a Morse identifier. GPS is chipping away at radio receivers and making that aspect slowly obsolete.

GPS, digital and “glass paneled” dashes are a technical advantage that really reduce pilot workloads, but if GPS goes down or is regionally spoofed it’ll severely limit aviation capabilities

Last edited:
QRS QRS QRS!:eek2: Since I am not in the sabbatical I will quietly QSY to a different thread

Ruckin
Hi,

You are OK being here. But, QSY is ok, too. Just don't QSB to a different site. And, don't go QRT. ;)

For those who don't follow:

QSY = change frequency
QSB = change band
QRT = Sign Off
QRS = Slow down transmission speed (for CW, which is what we call the Morse Code mode)

Technically, Q signals are for CW only, but just about everyone uses them on phone (voice) as well.

And, this is probably enough of this stuff. We do have a ham radio forum here, BTW, if anyone wants to go further.

Stan - W2CK

And we all have unique worldwide callsigns. Mine is W2CK which dates back to the beginning of Gov't issued callsigns in 1912, which came about as a result of the sinking of the Titanic. Before then, radio ops made up their own callsigns which meant no good way to look anyone up. That caused confusion as to who was on the air while the Titanic was going down....

I am the fourth person since 1912 to hold W2CK, BTW.

Alas, fellow villagers, I must depart. Sadly, I have fallen victim to the demise of a favorite. However, this one I did not anticipate, unlike my favorite A/S which I listed as an exception. Thusly, I have just purchased four Kent branded pucks of tallow MWF, my desert island soap. On the other hand, I now have seven pucks of MWF/Kent in reserve, and could get through a number of these challenges in future years successfully. I will miss The Prisoner theme - one of my all-time favorite shows.

Hi,

And, another MWF fan. Maybe *I* should go Out and get some because, while I have never tried it, it must be worth it.....

Stan

Prisoners

2. KQY61 - No Exception
3. sjblon - No Exception
4. Tillerman - No Exception

6. Patrick McGoohan - Always Exceptional
7. VerbaVolant - No Exception
9. elmo_koffman - exception: blades
10. Jim99 - Exception: Italia soap
11. Pepin - exception vintage razor
13. La Malice - Shaving bowl

18. Sandorfi - Exception Vintage Gillette new
20. Crisp Rat - no exception
21. Esetter - no exception
22. Chef455 - Exception Lucky Tiger if Supply Runs Out

24. EB Newfarm No Exception

30. Balin - "The Duke" Exception - Shaving brush
31. JAHE - Exception - modern razor
32. Sotiris_A - No exception
33. Tjsgarden-Exception- razor
34. Contact_vs_Feedback - Vintage razor
35. KW Driver - Exception - Linseed oil/sealers for brush repairs.
36. Cantujm -Exception- Wolfman Razor
38. ByDoms - No exception
39. Ruva - razor
40. Jamesearthdrum - Geo Trumper Coral Skin Tonic
41. cryhavoc - shaving brush
42. T.Orso - witch hazel

49. JKaboom - LEA 3in1

52. kjbarth - no exception
54. Fred D - No exception
56. LJBraaten - Vintage Razor

Out(ed) as Warders

29. awk_m4 - No Exception - 1/31- Bought stuff for sons and dipped in
53. Markdad2 - No exception - 2/6 - Muhle Rocca Stainless
25. JWCowboy No Exception - 2/16 - Neighbor getting out of making brushes
19. ewk - NO EXCEPTION - 2/18 - Mutton tallow soap
16. DougK - no exception - 3/12 - Bic Flex 5 carts picked up out of habit
55. bartje-p - Blackbird (regular) SS plate - 3/17 - Lupo .95 SS w/ HD handle
26. Trollky - tube of Proraso cream - 3/18 - Color Coordinated razor, brush and soap in a shade of red.
27. MaineYooper - vintage razor - 3/24 - Wolf Whiskers' brush w/ Maggard Razors SHD badger knot
8. bjm - Exception: razor handle - 3/24 - Merkur 34C
43. Heron - shave soap - 4/3 - Simpson's brush
15. DEaficianado - razor handle - 4/27 - Greencult razor plate 4
50. Berwick12 - No Exception - 5/1 - Bought Too Much from Above The Tie to feel good about the Group Exception
44. Guido75 - New Razor - 5/10 - Bought himself some B'Day gifts
45. Whisky - No Exception - 5/12 - La Toja soap, etc, quite a bit of it (as it rides off into the sunset)
23. JeffJ - No Exception - 5/13 - La Toja soap and creme, (as it rides off into the su
47. linty1 - no exceptions - 6/7 - something used came up and it's in the exact configuration I wanted
28. (Porkins). CzechCzar - exception TBD - 6/14 - MWF soap as it changes formula
5. Noodles - A/S - 6/22 - MWF soap as it changes formula

Missing from the village Q1 check-in

12. gdawg55 - aftershave
14. 02FLHTCI- No Exception
17. wmadoty - No Exception
37. Bobbyb - No Exception
46. Doc4 ... exceptions are for wimps
48. Alum Ladd - Nivea post shave balm
51. Chandu - No Exception
57. sirplatypus - blades

Top Bottom