What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

The bulk of my re-supply has arrived. My focus is on soaps that I know I like and some that I have heard a lot about but have never tried. I am now well stocked with Proraso Red and Arko that I have always enjoyed and miss when I don't have them. I added a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat. I also received a kilo of Cella. I am fascinated by the prospect of cutting some off to use and storing the rest. I will figure that out over the weekend and I can always find someone who wants it if I don't like it.. I got a bottle of Thayers Witch Hazel Balm, Captains Choice Bay Rum, and Captain's Choice Balm. I already have Proraso Red and Green in the barber's size. Should be good to go for consumables. On impulse, I bought a tiny Omega brush for $7.00. I don't recall the model number but I think it is called Mighty Midget. How far wrong can I go for $7.00?
I am good to go for the year ( and likely beyond). Approaching 51 more weeks without buying, I know that I can commit to getting the most out of different razor and blade combinations, focusing on technique, and seeing what appeals to me about a soap. I know that I like boar and synthetic brushes so I can spend the time to see why I like one over another. Last year was a good experience in looking at what I have acquired and what I "need". The resupply was welcome and my wife says I was like a kid at Christmas when the supplies arrived. I am fortunate to be able to afford anything I want to spend money on but I want to be able to do so with some sense that I thought about and made a decision that has some basis in logic. Good luck to all for the coming year. I will confess that I have never seen Star Wars so I am at a loss to recognize much of the theme but the objective is still worth pursuing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I will confess that I have never seen Star Wars so I am at a loss to recognize much of the theme but the objective is still worth pursuing.

48wko8.jpg

Still in. SOTD
Razor: RR German 37
Blade: PIR
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Maggard London Barber Shop sample
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
First use with the German 37 and London Barbershop. The razor was great! Very smooth with just the right amount of blade feel. The soap has a great scent, but I think I need to use a bit more of the sample next time. Lather was a bit lacking today. Great shave overall though!
BD08B8F6-15BC-4E94-9BD3-DB9289098FBC.jpeg

SOTD (009/2021)
09-01-2021

>> Shave Roulette <<
20210109_122204-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man AS.

JAHE - still in

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum shave soap
Soap: Chiseled Face Banana
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar synthetic
Razor: EJ Chatsworth
Blade: Kai SS (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: WSP Bay Rum

Still in! Q'apla!

Kit 20210109_2.jpg

SOTD
IMG_20210109_105442780~2[1].jpg

Soap: Col. Conk Amber (likely for a few more weeks)
Razor: $3.00 Gillette Super Blue Razor
Blade: Double Edge from CVS
AS: Wife chosen Lonestar

The real surprise in this setup was the razor. It arrived yesterday from Ali express, it was ordered in early December. I unwrapped it, loaded a blade and noticed that the blade gap was dangerously uneven left to right on both sides of the razor. It was like the guard was twisted. I also noticed that I did not like the lightweight hollow plastic handle.

For three dollars I nearly just tossed it in the trash, but I thought that maybe evening things up with pliers might not be too difficult. I straightened the guard up and put the razor to my face just to get a feel. A lot of blade feel and I assumed it was going to be very aggressive razor. At that point, I figured I would give it a pass or two and toss it in the trash. I even made sure my Rockwell 6c was ready to finish the job when this thing failed.

I lathered up and made a pass. Very very smooth, and very comfortable. The length of the handle made up for its light weigh. The head held the blade securely and I guess I have the guard problem corrected. I could shave with this thing every day and be very happy!

The only thing keeping me from getting back on Ali express and ordering a few more of these is this Sabbatical. I am so thankful you are all allowing me to participate in this event. You are keeping me from filling my house with tons of stuff I do not need.

Still in, but felt temptation. Live Long and Prosper!

Attachments

• IMG_20210109_105442780~2[1].jpg
    IMG_20210109_105442780~2[1].jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
Copied you with the chief engineer Avatar. Ready for the trip.
I could not let Uhura be missed. My personal favourite.

I had my first phasers-on-stun knockout this year. A puck of Haslinger Aloe Vera I had started early last year was down to a thin ring, so I dropped a new puck of Schafmilch on top of it, and enjoyed a great shave with my Canadian New SC loaded with a Bic blade.

7B0FF597-231C-4AB4-A3D9-7357AE8887A8.jpeg

Top Bottom