What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

I almost did the same thing ordering some stuff online. I put some peppermint oil in my cart as an add-on. I do use it for other things but 75% of the time I use it in my lathers to give it that face freeze effect. I didn't end up doing it thinking that it would put me out of the sabbatical but a few days later another thought occurred to me. I'm totally out of peppermint oil. Aren't we allowed to buy something if we totally run out of it? Or would that be considered a non-essential shave item and not count in the purchase allowance? I could see an argument both ways.

Last edited:
I put some peppermint oil in my cart as an add-on. I do use it for other things but 75% of the time I use it in my lathers to give it that face freeze effect. I didn't end up doing it thinking that it would put me out of the sabbatical
It is a sabbatical and therefore no purchases are allowed. The general principle is you have enough supplies for the entire year.
Aren't we allowed to buy something if we totally run out of it?
No is the simple answer.

SOTD (# 96/2020)
23-05-2020
20200524_105052-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ Platinum
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS, Nivea After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 16;
After shave balm: minus 2)

SOTD (# 97/2020)
25-05-2020
20200524_175451-01-02.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Saponificio Varesino ~ Manna di Sicilia 4.3
Razor: Gillette NEW Long Comb
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS, Alverde After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 16;
After shave balm: minus 2)

Okay, okay! So I have a razor inbound that I’m viewing as a gift. It’s a one-off razor that a very talented gentleman on another forum built and decided to give away. All I had to say was “I’m in” to be in the pool of lucky contestants. Lo and behold, somehow I won. I didn’t buy a ticket, nor expend funds in any way.

The way I read the rules, specially rules 5 and 9, I’m still in. I just want to get the opinion of others. What do you think?

Okay, okay! So I have a razor inbound that I’m viewing as a gift. It’s a one-off razor that a very talented gentleman on another forum built and decided to give away. All I had to say was “I’m in” to be in the pool of lucky contestants. Lo and behold, somehow I won. I didn’t buy a ticket, nor expend funds in any way.

The way I read the rules, specially rules 5 and 9, I’m still in. I just want to get the opinion of others. What do you think?
Looking at rule 5; saying "I am in" was asking for the gift even though you could not be sure you were the winner. I don't see how you could read that rule any other way. Is it any different for example saying to the wife in passing, "I would love to have one of those razors" say {could be anything shave related}, and then she buys you the razor as a gift even though you had not intended that. One of the participants failed on that very situation.
Looking at rule 9; Plan your year carefully, means make sure you have all required at the start of the year to complete the sabbatical. I don't think this helps your case.
Seems to me the entering and winning the gift put you out even though none of your money was spent; someone spent money building the razor!
That would be my view. The intention of the sabbatical is not to increase your shaving items.
I will leave you to call this one under rule 13.

Last edited:

My understanding from last year and looking at years past (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) is that receiving PIF's are ok. The implication of a PIF is that someone is doing you a solid by letting you acquire/use/tryout an item and you, at some undisclosed point in the future, will fulfill your trade by doing someone else a solid when they are not expecting it.

It seems to me there is a stark difference between, "Hey honey, with our shared bank account, I really like the Blackland Vector. As you know, I'm not spending any money but maybe you could spend money from your portion of the shared account to buy it and give it to me so that I am for sure NOT spending my money on it."

and, "Hey person who is giving away a razor, I enjoy using them and would be interested in trying the thing you have already decided to give away." I feel like this is much more like a loved one calling you and asking you where to send the razor they bought you.

I also feel like this is more appropriately covered in rule 13" Gifts you receive are also dicey. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list in an exciting chapter of our ongoing storyline."

It doesn't sound like @Jim99 has spent money (either his or anyone else's) since the razor was being given away regardless of what Jim99 did. It also sounds like Jim is not saying, "I'm out". Maybe I am overly good at justifying things, but this is a purchase sabbatical and I have a hard time accusing Jim99 of making a purchase. If the power(s) that be disagree(s) with my understanding of the rules than I will consider it good information to know going forward.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande Ni
Blade: Timor (6)
Brush: Maggard 22mm Synth
Cream: CRS Indian Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
044_40.jpg

What a great shave. CRS Indian Sandalwood is super slick. I really like that. Slickness is always is a bother when skin stretching, but it's a trade off. CRS is also phenomenal in the cushion department. I haven't used CRS Sandalwood for awhile now. The scent was stronger than I remember. It's truer and not as obnoxious as TOBS Sandalwood, so I enjoyed it. I got close to tasting it which is never a good thing. Finishing up with the Veg is always awesome. CRS Indian Sandalwood followed by the Veg is actually a killer combination.

Last edited:
5. Gifts. You cannot ask for, solicit, hint at, etc., gifts in any way.

I agree with what's been said. Saying "I'm in" is asking for a gift.

There's something in the rules about if you won a gift certificate in a PIF, spending the certificate would cause you to go out. It's considered the same as spending money. But, strangely enough, it's OK to trade the certificate for something else you want, because trades are allowed, with some limitations!

There are some other restraints running on B&B that are more strict and don't allow trades or PIFs. This restraint is a bit more flexible, though.

Basically I won a PIF. I did have to say that I was in the PIF in order to be in the drawing, but I didn’t spend a penny for the razor. There is no trade or cash payment, not before, not now and not in the future.

So, with the rules being what they are, it sounds as though a PIF falls under a gift and a gift is dicey, which then leads me to being out.

Well, it’s been fun guys. Good luck!

This has not been the case so far. PIFs are OK and do not cause you to go out. Precedent has already been set, you don't get to reinterpret the rules now.
Entering a PIF is a breach of rule 5, how do you interpret it differently?
The precedent was PIFs for others, not for yourself. Have you a reference that PIFs for yourself are okay?
This was the reference for PIFs for others; 2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/2020-shave-purchase-sabbatical-those-daring-men-with-their-jaunty-razors-jalopies.577617/post-10507001

Basically I won a PIF. I did have to say that I was in the PIF in order to be in the drawing, but I didn’t spend a penny for the razor. There is no trade or cash payment, not before, not now and not in the future.

So, with the rules being what they are, it sounds as though a PIF falls under a gift and a gift is dicey, which then leads me to being out.

Well, it’s been fun guys. Good luck!
Thanks for that as I was waiting for you to confirm your position under rule 13. I noted you had not spent any money but it was a gift request.
May we have a photo of this unique razor when it arrives?

Thought I remembered something about PIFs last year. I did a quick search and found this, among other things:
View attachment 1104883
You would have to look at the context. Just 4 posts later I confirmed that many offers were made to help out the sabbatical participant but the offers were turned down. I think the participant realised they had not planned very well and had to order a number of items in early June and said; "...so I’m now a firm believer that this sabbatical thing isn’t and or wasn’t for me to begin with. ."
Yes, someone will help you out if you are running short and struggling to complete the sabbatical without purchasing items; it comes under PIFs for others category. The basic theme of the sabbatical is you are looking to reduce your shave items not add to them.
Also in rule 4: "...If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. " The context is items needed to continue shaving till the end of the sabbatical.

Entering a PIF is a breach of rule 5, how do you interpret it differently?
The precedent was PIFs for others, not for yourself. Have you a reference that PIFs for yourself are okay?
This was the reference for PIFs for others; 2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/2020-shave-purchase-sabbatical-those-daring-men-with-their-jaunty-razors-jalopies.577617/post-10507001
If you go back to Jan 1-2 of this year, you will see there were several PIFs sponsored for people that were participating in the restraint. @Pepin confirmed it was OK and nobody went out because they entered or won a PIF.

For instance:

This won't put us out of the sabbatical on day 2 will it? Haha!
You're good, pif's are okay.

If you go back to Jan 1-2 of this year, you will see there were several PIFs sponsored for people that were participating in the restraint. @Pepin confirmed it was OK and nobody went out because they entered or won a PIF.
That is the exact reference I made in post #1755 and it referred to #GaryTHa, who was in the sabbatical at that time, buying blades pre-start and offering a PIF only for other participants in the sabbatical ; rule 12... PIF purchases for others. Both parties were in the sabbatical.
I keep iterating the theme of the sabbatical is that you are looking to reduce your shave items and you are allowed to declare one exception at the start.
You cannot be bypassing rule 5 by entering PIFs which is an intention to solicit gifts, effectively making it a few more exceptions and no restraint. Begs the question why join the sabbatical if that is the intention.

Top Bottom