What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

#45 still in. Like others, I have no doubt that I could likely make it another year. I thought I might have a problem with alum blocks, but I found an unopened on in the back of a drawer. I look now and then but I feel that I have a good representation of vintage DE and SE razors going back to the Old and Valet Autostrops. Single Ring and Black Beauty are two that I don't have but I'd have to see really nice examples at excellent prices to buy now. Same with a notchless Superspeed. Over the past few months I have noticed that my real favorites are Parkers. The Parker 76r was the first DE razor I bought and I have been finding that I like the weight, length, grip, and feel very much. Results are consistently good. I also gravitate to the Variant, although I find that it keeps me on my toes. If I don't slow down and pay attention, I will nick the same places on my chin and upper cheek and the alum block will really burn on my neck. Settings between 2 and 3 seem to be where it works best for me.
The one thing I anticipate missing when sabbatical ends are JAHE's pictures! He could start a Shave of the Day gallery! Good luck to all.

I look forward to seeing photos from @JAHE every time I’m on this thread.

I have decided to do a "SLANTastic STIRLING SOAPtember", which means I am going to shave with my trustworthy Razorock German 37 Slant and Stirling Soaps exclusivly in course of September. So I guess you have to expect rather boring shots in the next month, however I will do my best to find some nice perspectives.

20200826_174730-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m tempted. Can I change my exception you figure?

I was tempted as well (🐺). But then I made my mind and decided to buy this razor as a kind of reward in January 2021 - but only if I can make it through the sabbacital year 2020 successfully.

That said, I guess you are not entitled to change the exception. But what about considering the idea of rewarding yourself, too...?:thumbsup:

SOTD (# 159/2020)
31-08-2020
20200829_144300-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing ~ Danidevil Revolution
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette Nacet (8)
Postshave: frigid tap water, S.Oliver Superior AS, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm.

JAHE - #6 still in.

I was tempted as well (🐺). But then I made my mind and decided to buy this razor as a kind of reward in January 2021 - but only if I can make it through the sabbacital year 2020 successfully.

That said, I guess you are not entitled to change the exception. But what about considering the idea of rewarding yourself, too...?:thumbsup:
Nice solution.

SOTD (# 160/2020)
01-09-2020

>>SLANTastic STIRLING-SOAPtember<<
20200831_193209-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Tuscany
Razor: Razorock German 37
Blade: Gillette Nacet (9)
Postshave: frigid tap water, mentholated Majestät AS & orange eo, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm.

Only 4 months to go...
Stay strong, gents!

JAHE - still in

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Brush: EJ Badger Medium Super
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
033_40.jpg

SOTD (# 161/2020)
02-09-2020

20200831_191244-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Mountain Man
Blade: Gillette Nacet (10)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS , Nivea Sensitive post shave balm.

JAHE - still in

#61 Checking in. I've not been going through stuff as fast as we're still a skeleton staff at work and no visitors. And any "vacation" this summer has been backcountry in a tent with the dogs, so I'm MAYBE averaging two shaves a week. Did manage to get through my tub of Santa Paula soap; it's the first in a long while that I've been sad to see used up so it'll definitely be on my restock list - if I restock - during the January window. Made a significant dent in my TdH and Son of Zeus aftershave and a couple others. Hoping we can keep a critical mass motivated during the Q3 check in and the home stretch.
To the 50+ percent still in, we've got this!

My tally:
Preshave - 1 (Noxema)
Aftershave - 7 (Gatlinburg, Kramperts, Irish Countryside, 500ml witch hazel, AV musk, Blue Barbershop, Island Bay Rum)
Soap - (Gatlinburg, WTP Blue, Santa Paula)
Frag - 3 (Z-scent Irish countryside, Aramis, Jovan Musk).

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Another thing I absolutely love about the FOCS is the handle. I don't know if we have discussed handles yet. With the grande and piccolo, the handles are either too slippery or too thin.

Not so the FOCS. The handle is beautiful, elegent, and perfect.

SOTD (# 162/2020)
03-09-2020

20200902_193951-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Pharaoh's dreamsiecle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Sirling Soap Orange Chill AS & Witch Hazel

JAHE - still in

SOTD (# 163/2020)
04-09-2020

20200901_184911-01-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Hipster
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Hermann (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Extro Cosmesi Vetiver AS, Nivea Cool post shave balm

JAHE - still in

SOTD (# 164/2020)
06-09-2020

20200903_184322-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue SOC 2-band badger
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man AS

JAHE - still in