What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

#52 is still in.

Roadside maintenance to keep the air cooled Beetle running - completed 3017ing a puck of Pre de Provence No 63 soap after 150 shaves over a period of 16 months (only shaving about once every four days or so). New oil filter is in place - need to determine whether to refill with L'Occitane Cade cream or AoS Lavender soap.

#52 is still in.

Roadside maintenance to keep the air cooled Beetle running - completed 3017ing a puck of Pre de Provence No 63 soap after 150 shaves over a period of 16 months (only shaving about once every four days or so). New oil filter is in place - need to determine whether to refill with L'Occitane Cade cream or AoS Lavender soap.
Beetles don't have oil filters from the factory! (Unless you add one yourself). They have an oil screen. One of the things I did not like about this engine. 1930's technology, I suppose.

vw-oil-1.jpeg

SOTD (# 166/2020)
09-09-2020

>>SLANTastic STIRLING-SOAPtember<<
20200906_191530-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Gin & Tonic
Razor: Razorock German 37
Blade: Personna Platinum Lux (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS, Nivea Cool post shave balm

JAHE - still in

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well gents, I am still out, but I'll let you be the judge of whether I am treewhaling it yet.

So far, I have purchased:
  • Five soaps:
    • B&M Cologne Russe
    • Stirling Deep Blue Sea
    • Declaration Grooming Unconditional Surrender
    • Cella Extra Extra (blue)
    • Murphy & McNeil Ouroboros
  • Five balms:
    • Captain's Choice Nor'easter
    • B&M Seville
    • Soap Commander
      • Honor
      • Justice
      • Endurance
  • Three razors:
    • Fatip lo storto OC
    • iKon Standard B1
    • Henson
  • Two brushes
    • PAA Peregrino
    • Yaqi Timberwolf
I have returned everything else.

This seems excessive when I put it all together. I think I am treewhaling. Anyone have the original post for comparison?

In any event, this replenishes my stock - after doing 2 GRUYEREs in a row, I was getting bored. And, FWIW, I am now coasting. While a less-restrained version of myself would list everything subpar on the Bay, incur losses, rinse, and repeat, I am pretty happy with what I have. What I would purchase, having used it, from the list above is:
  • The Fatip
  • Cella soap
  • B&M Seville balm
  • iKon Standard
But the other stuff is worth using as well.

I wish the rest of you the best of luck with the rest of the year!

Well gents, I am still out, but I'll let you be the judge of whether I am treewhaling it yet.

So far, I have purchased:
  • Five soaps:
    • B&M Cologne Russe
    • Stirling Deep Blue Sea
    • Declaration Grooming Unconditional Surrender
    • Cella Extra Extra (blue)
    • Murphy & McNeil Ouroboros
  • Five balms:
    • Captain's Choice Nor'easter
    • B&M Seville
    • Soap Commander
      • Honor
      • Justice
      • Endurance
  • Three razors:
    • Fatip lo storto OC
    • iKon Standard B1
    • Henson
  • Two brushes
    • PAA Peregrino
    • Yaqi Timberwolf
I have returned everything else.

This seems excessive when I put it all together. I think I am treewhaling. Anyone have the original post for comparison?

In any event, this replenishes my stock - after doing 2 GRUYEREs in a row, I was getting bored. And, FWIW, I am now coasting. While a less-restrained version of myself would list everything subpar on the Bay, incur losses, rinse, and repeat, I am pretty happy with what I have. What I would purchase, having used it, from the list above is:
  • The Fatip
  • Cella soap
  • B&M Seville balm
  • iKon Standard
But the other stuff is worth using as well.

I wish the rest of you the best of luck with the rest of the year!

It's been a good week since I checked in. It's now my birthday month, so I've pulled out all 4 of my M3 coded razors and they're each getting a week; I'm saving the Tech for the actual day; I prefer it to both the SS and the Slim.
I've also managed to empty my remaining bottle of Stetson aftershave, and melted the few shards of Tatum and Shea (unremarkable glycerine soap) into a new puck of Ogallala Bay Rum (slightly better) so I'll consider it two kills.
With summer winding down I've had little time to even think about shaving much less browse, so no temptation and still going strong - still in.

My tally:
Preshave - 1 (Noxema)
Aftershave - 8 (Gatlinburg, Kramperts, Irish Countryside, 500ml witch hazel, AV musk, Blue Barbershop, Island Bay Rum, Stetson)
Soap - 4 (Gatlinburg, WTP Blue, Santa Paula, T&S)
Frag - 3 (Z-scent Irish countryside, Aramis, Jovan Musk).

SOTD (# 167/2020)
13-09-2020

20200912_192502-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Yaqi Synthetic Tuxedo 28/58
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Sandpiper
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, S. Oliver Suoerior AS, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm

JAHE - still in

Hello gents, The Geo Trumpers was a long straight 3 month slab haul so the Henderson and I are going to take on some short twisty roads on our way to finishing off the sample soaps and creams in the inventory. Wiki has been updated. Ramble on gentlemen we're almost 3/4 of the way there!

Hi,

Hey! There he is! Our very own Darth Lord. :)

I didn't grow any pumpkins this year. Nor any other soft shell gourds (like squash). Just the hard shell ones. Which, we sell commercially.

Stan - Still In

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Merkur 33c
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Fatip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
024_50.jpg

I had a really good shave with my Merkur 33c. Where has Merkur been all my life? Oh, I remember, on the top shelf in my closet in a box. DE shaves definitely beat cartridge shaves hands down. There is more control, the shaves are more comfortable, and they last longer. Everything is good this week. It's very good indeed. In fact it's Proraso Red good. Being on Sabbatical, I wish I hadn't seen the slant from Fine Cal just bought. Some things you just can't un-see. I've come this far, with only a few short months to go, I'm not going to cave.

I’m still out. I haven’t bought anything since I went out, although I got a soap as a gift and another as a PIF, plus a cream from one of the Captain’s contests—so I’m up to the same amount of soap/cream as when I started the year. I finished up an Osage Rub and generally continue to marvel at how long AS lasts. Right now I’m alternating Brut, Clubman, and Thayer’s realizing those three will last me through next year.

SOTD (# 169/2020)
18-09-2020

20200916_192009-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Blade: Gillette Nacet (12)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & Witch Hazel & post shave balm.

JAHE - still in

Top Bottom