What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

I seem to be collecting both paper and e-books. I tend to get woodworking, history, books that I will continue to reference and things that I find historically interesting in paper form. Things I am likely to read once I try to check out from the library, and non-fiction I want to keep will be in whatever form I find them. In our house we have more than 10k paper books, and probably 3-4k of e-books. I dread having to move.

Hi,

Hanging in there without any Burma Shave. Thinking of putting extra razors up for sale and pass them on to the unrestrained. I am thinking of keeping just the Fasan DoubleSlants and letting go all those other Open Combs except for my Old Type. That was my Grandfather's and I'd not let go of any of the heirlooms, of course.

I was posting a B-S jingle every day but then figured I had better slow it down some. So now I post one when the thread falls off the front page. Make them last a bit longer before I have to repeat any.

Stan - Still In

Hi,

Hanging in there without any Burma Shave. Thinking of putting extra razors up for sale and pass them on to the unrestrained. I am thinking of keeping just the Fasan DoubleSlants and letting go all those other Open Combs except for my Old Type. That was my Grandfather's and I'd not let go of any of the heirlooms, of course.

I was posting a B-S jingle every day but then figured I had better slow it down some. So now I post one when the thread falls off the front page. Make them last a bit longer before I have to repeat any.

Stan - Still In

At first i didn't understand, but then i found "Burma-shave" in wikipedia and it became clear to me! :biggrin1: I wouldn't let go any relative related item either. I will be passing once in a while to say hello, sir. Just so that you know, that in spirit, i am with you. I admire your effort.

Happy shaves, sir!

Hi,

Yeah. An old brushless shaving cream made famous for their sets of signs along the roadsides of America. They used to publish them every year from 1927 to 1964. I have a file from the early 1980s with the text of them all in it. I am posting them as we roll along our road here. :) And, the jingles make me want to go to the store and buy me some and try it. But, it is a Restraint Friendly shaving cream as it no longer exists. Well, some here and there on eBay of very old stock I'd not be trying to use. Who knows what chemical changes have occurred....

Happy Shaves right back to you! :)

Stan

Hi,

Yeah. An old brushless shaving cream made famous for their sets of signs along the roadsides of America. They used to publish them every year from 1927 to 1964. I have a file from the early 1980s with the text of them all in it. I am posting them as we roll along our road here. :) And, the jingles make me want to go to the store and buy me some and try it. But, it is a Restraint Friendly shaving cream as it no longer exists. Well, some here and there on eBay of very old stock I'd not be trying to use. Who knows what chemical changes have occurred....

Happy Shaves right back to you! :)

Stan

Ah, so these were the original signs! I didn't realize this! How fortunate of you to have the entire collection! Ahahaha! You are right, it is extremely restraint friendly! :laugh:

Thank you very much, sir!

Hi,

I know the company had jingle books in the drugstores. Probably for the kids to see and talk their Old Man into getting them a copy. Free with a jar, of course. At least, I seem to recall a jingle saying so.

Long ago in the early 1980s, someone I worked with at IBM had a collection and we put the jingles into a file. That would load at log-on to the mainframe and pop up the sign sets in a timed sequence to cadence the signs alongside the road. Later, we wrote a program for the PC to do the same. In use, the years were random but here I am copying the jingles in year-order.

The way I am entering them here, we have to read a line then pause to recreate the cadence. I thought about entering one line per post but that would be tedious, I think.

I think there were reprint books from time to time of these, and probably all over eBay. I have seen some auctions for the actual Burma Shave, but would not want to trust such an old chemical formula. Unlike hard soap, I have my doubts about a cream.

Stan

Hi,

I know the company had jingle books in the drugstores. Probably for the kids to see and talk their Old Man into getting them a copy. Free with a jar, of course. At least, I seem to recall a jingle saying so.

Long ago in the early 1980s, someone I worked with at IBM had a collection and we put the jingles into a file. That would load at log-on to the mainframe and pop up the sign sets in a timed sequence to cadence the signs alongside the road. Later, we wrote a program for the PC to do the same. In use, the years were random but here I am copying the jingles in year-order.

The way I am entering them here, we have to read a line then pause to recreate the cadence. I thought about entering one line per post but that would be tedious, I think.

I think there were reprint books from time to time of these, and probably all over eBay. I have seen some auctions for the actual Burma Shave, but would not want to trust such an old chemical formula. Unlike hard soap, I have my doubts about a cream.

Stan

That is a very nice story, sir! In a way, you are preserving a piece of american shaving history by posting it in the forum. :thumbup1: Yes, i would have my doubts too for cream. But nice jingles nonetheless!

Top Bottom