What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

So, two months in the decade and first day of the leap year restraint. Not a single shave related purchase yet, and not even the slightest temptation.

Good luck everyone in these two restraints

Although it isn't part of this challenge (I need to check the rules to make sure) but I have retired my bottle of RR baby blue aftershave. I tend to 3017 my shaving stuff but for aftershave I make an exception during travel if it is inconvenient and bring a small sample bottle of something I have on hand so 852 days is a bit of an over estimate by about 10-15 shaves or so. Next up is a 400ml bottle of Floid Blue...

Ruckin.

Thanks! 23 people for the leap year and 18 for the 10 year. That’s pretty good! It’ll be interesting to see how many make it. I think the 4 year will have good results but the 10 year, even i’m wondering if i can make it through that. It’ll be fun to try though. Only thing that would knock me out is if Homelike rereleases those sandblasted plates. The two i’m missing will always aggravate me so if they ever do come up i’ll have to buy them. Other than that i think running out of aftershave would be the only thing that’d stop me.

Thanks! 23 people for the leap year and 18 for the 10 year. That’s pretty good! It’ll be interesting to see how many make it. I think the 4 year will have good results but the 10 year, even i’m wondering if i can make it through that. It’ll be fun to try though. Only thing that would knock me out is if Homelike rereleases those sandblasted plates. The two i’m missing will always aggravate me so if they ever do come up i’ll have to buy them. Other than that i think running out of aftershave would be the only thing that’d stop me.

I'm also interested to see how many people just stop posting over 10 years. I haven't consistently checked any website for a decade.

Just for the sake of completeness: I (# 17/14) withdrew - but I wish all participants good luck and all the best.

Hi,

And....for those of us born to WWII parents:

Boomer-Shave!

Ok. Even I think that's bad! :p

Shaving Brushes

Such A Bother

Burma-Shave

Looks Good

To

Father

This one sticks the Burma-Shave in the middle. That's different! At first, I thought they might have doubled up on the B-S with one in the middle and at the end. But, on second thought, that makes little sense and they do have all six signs. They must not have doubled up. And, that probably made everyone that drove by chuckle. :)

Stan

I'm also interested to see how many people just stop posting over 10 years. I haven't consistently checked any website for a decade.

Hi,

Good point. I have been here since July 2013. So, not 10 years yet. But, restrained since October of 2013. The way that worked is I followed without posting for a year or so, and picked up way too much stuff. Imagine that! ;) And, it is the restraint threads plus a couple others (our fun threads mostly) that keep me on daily.

I have been on a board for John Deere Crawlers since 2005, so over 10 years. Those are a real hobby of mine so always a daily read and posting of how to work on old things dating back to 1950.

I have been on two digital camera boards since 2000. But these four are the only ones I follow with any regularity.

My ham radio activities are mostly on-the-air and local clubs. So, not on the internet. Ham radio is the original electronic social media. Been at that since 1969. Yeah. 8 years old. Made not only a lifelong hobby out of it, but also my career as I moved into the professional radio ranks at 16. My moniker here is the last three of my ham call plus my birth year. :)

Stan

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Those Burma shave signs were great. I didn't know about them until a variation of them popped up in a road ditch in the 1980's. They had nothing to do with shaving, but my aunt who I was riding with told me that the signs were done like Burma Shave advertising years earlier.

Last summer I saw someone use the burma shave style to advertise their garage sale. Sadly I didn't find anything I wanted and they didn't have any shaving stuff either.

Ruckin

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Last summer I saw someone use the burma shave style to advertise their garage sale. Sadly I didn't find anything I wanted and they didn't have any shaving stuff either.

Ruckin

I've pretty much given up on garage sales. Lotsa plastic junk that would have been better off left at the store in the first place. Seems like the good stuff is at estate sales, but I'm not one who enjoys the hunt. I'd rather find what I want, decide if I am willing to pay the price rather than hit 10 sales hoping to find a bargain wasting time and money doing so. I put a high value on my leisure time.

Second shave with a gillette silver blue. BY FAR the best shave I've had (I'm a beginner). Definetly the most comfortable and in the top 3 closest.
I did NOT buy a big hoard of blades.Two things kept me in the "restraint":
- the price. 25-30€/100 shipped => I'm going to try to find something cheaper that works as good as possible and buy the GSB only if I really do not find anything elser that I like.
- the first shave. Holy cow that was a bad one. I jumped on the styptic stick before I passed out from blood loss, the balm was mandatory and not an indulgence. Nearly as bad as my worst derby extra shave. If I have to choose between a shave like that and a kick in the balls I'll probably choose the shave but it's not an easy decision.

I'm going to do some searches in the forum to see if there are ways to improve this first shave.

Last edited:
Hey Stan, we were discussing a clients idea to put a series of signs on the lap posts leading to there corp. HQ and my boss, who is the same age as me, and I said at the exact same time....Burma Shave!

Top Bottom