What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

You know, @Rico Suave, I've thought about doing something similar. I was going to promise to PIF the same item that I went out on, but I was scared it might be something expensive. And I was right - last year I went out on a Rockwell 6S. I'll see if I can find something I have to put up for a PIF if I fall.

We are losing participants to the powerful forces of RAD and SAD at an alarming rate, so I have been brainstorming a bit, and have some remarks for your consideration.

I think part of the problem is that it is too easy to quit if you have no skin in the game. So I decided to put some skin in the game. Below is a photo of a (very!) lightly used tub of MDC original. I hereby pledge that if I drop out of the sabbatical for any reason, I will immediately PIF said tub of to one of the remaining participants, to be chosen at random. Said tub will be put into inactive status (actually it has been pretty inactive in any case) for the duration.

I see this pledge as having a two-fold purpose. First, it will help to keep me in, because dropping out now has a cost. Second, it will offer at least some small incentive to others to stay in the game, as you might score a tub of MDC were I to fold.

I think it would be great if other participants would consider similarly putting some skin in the game. To further that end, I make a second offer: if five more participants join me in "putting skin in the game" by pledging something to be PIF'ed upon early withdrawal, then I will make the offer of the MDC unconditional. By that I mean that I will PIF it to someone (other than myself) to be chosen randomly from the survivors at the completion of the PIF.

Let's make this thing even more interesting...

#99, still in.
full

This is a great idea. Let me scour my den when I get home. I like how you think, Rico!

MdC is not just any product, either. It’s several layers of skin. You might think about establishing a minimum “value” for the five follow-on PIFs. Just a thought.

Also, if each of those five also make the PIF unconditional if each signs up five more, we can create a great pool of tremendous products for redistribution!

You know, @Rico Suave, I've thought about doing something similar. I was going to promise to PIF the same item that I went out on, but I was scared it might be something expensive. And I was right - last year I went out on a Rockwell 6S. I'll see if I can find something I have to put up for a PIF if I fall.

I like this idea a lot. If you were to have to PIF an identical item to the one you go out, it would eliminate so many potential purchases and make the price for others twice as high.

Find a rare item? Can’t buy it because there aren’t two of them. Great deal in the BST? Negated because you’d need to buy a duplicate. New soap scent that catches your interest? $18 isn’t so bad but $36 will make you think twice.

I like this idea and hereby proclaim:

If falconer Nick Weepers #39 should fail to maintain restraint, he will PIF the an item identical to the one that does him in. The PIF will commence on the 1st day of January, 2020 and will be open to all 2019 sabbatical survivors.

We are losing participants to the powerful forces of RAD and SAD at an alarming rate, so I have been brainstorming a bit, and have some remarks for your consideration.

I think part of the problem is that it is too easy to quit if you have no skin in the game. So I decided to put some skin in the game. Below is a photo of a (very!) lightly used tub of MDC original. I hereby pledge that if I drop out of the sabbatical for any reason, I will immediately PIF said tub of to one of the remaining participants, to be chosen at random. Said tub will be put into inactive status (actually it has been pretty inactive in any case) for the duration.

I see this pledge as having a two-fold purpose. First, it will help to keep me in, because dropping out now has a cost. Second, it will offer at least some small incentive to others to stay in the game, as you might score a tub of MDC were I to fold.

I think it would be great if other participants would consider similarly putting some skin in the game. To further that end, I make a second offer: if five more participants join me in "putting skin in the game" by pledging something to be PIF'ed upon early withdrawal, then I will make the offer of the MDC unconditional. By that I mean that I will PIF it to someone (other than myself) to be chosen randomly from the survivors at the completion of the PIF.

#99, still in.
full

I consider keeping my word and being strong in resisting my base urges as having a ton of skin in the game. I don’t need any inducements to keep me on track and do as I say I will.

MdC is not just any product, either. It’s several layers of skin. You might think about establishing a minimum “value” for the five follow-on PIFs. Just a thought.
I think that is a very natural thought, but I would go otherwise. We find ourselves in various circumstances in life, and some of us just have more disposable income to indulge in hobbies. I would not want it to be about that. We are all gentlemen, and in my book whatever someone might put up would be great. It's the thought that counts.

Last edited:
I consider keeping my word and being strong in resisting my base urges as having a ton of skin in the game. I don’t need any inducements to keep me on track and do as I say I will.

Fair enough, and well said. I understand and respect that point of view.

For me this is mostly about the fun. I like the idea of putting something at stake. One can play poker without staking anything, but it's just not the same, imo.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?

#99, still in.
full
Yes let’s do make this more interesting!!!

I’ll match that!
I’ll PIF a brand new unopened jar of MdC if I drop out.

I like the idea of getting some skin in the game. However, we may need some clarification on the rules. According to the rules, it is fine (with reservations) to buy something to PIF to someone. But, the rules do not clearly allow us to receive a PIF. However, by custom, it seems to be fine.

What I really enjoy is the idea of forming an informal team to watch out for each other while at the same time, allowing people to play the game differently. One might be open to trades, one might start a soap circle, etc.

I choose to follow the lead of @martym because he has completed the last two Sabbaticals. Often, it pays to listen to the voice of experience. So, I pledge to PIF a kilogram of Cella soap. (Some may drop out just to get rid of it). I already have the money saved for resupply next year, so it's not a financial hardship. I'll buy a smaller dollar amount of Arko sticks next year instead. The person who receives it might choose to divide it and use it as currency for other trades. Whatever works.

During the past week or so, I've carefully planned to use only my original supply of soap for the remaining 316 days of the Sabbatical. I should squeak by with a few grams of Williams left. Don't worry, I traded some blades for an additional three pucks for a safety reserve. Therefore, if I win a PIF, I'll ask that the donor give it in their name to the Sue Moore auction.

Last edited:
is that the mighty midget?

Mixed midget, #11047. The pure badger in it is pricklier than I’d prefer when splaying it; otherwise, it’s an excellent travel brush. It packs almost as small as a Wee Scott, but way outperforms it in lather volume and ease of use for me. I facelather exclusively, and with a stick on the road.

I got it as a gift for Christmas, and started looking for a Bambino. If I could have found one in stock anywhere before the 31st, I’d have tried that one too, because I didn’t like the pures in the mixed that much. It’s gotten better since, or I’ve adjusted my technique to compensate.

Last edited:
With all these people promising some excellent PIFs to any survivors, it may pay off for someone to start an enablement campaign to get everyone else to drop out.

Not that I’d do that...

The sound of an A-10 autocannon is pretty awesome to behold!

As a former customer, one of the best sounds ever heard.

Later, when I flew, it was fun having them cover my breaks and putting them on my targets while we’d cover theirs.

I’m ok with some skin in it. I’ll put one of my straights into Sue’s auction if I put myself out.

Later, when I flew, it was fun having them cover my breaks and putting them on my targets while we’d cover theirs.

I’m ok with some skin in it. I’ll put one of my straights into Sue’s auction if I put myself out.
I was in the Army, peacetime. I just heard them at Grafenwoehr. Sounded like a Giant Belching :) Would've loved to have seen them on target. Would've loved to have seen my 8" battalion on a Fire for Effect too :)

With all these people promising some excellent PIFs to any survivors, it may pay off for someone to start an enablement campaign to get everyone else to drop out.

Not that I’d do that...

The PIF could become a form of a Tontine. In it's simple form, say 100 people might contribute $10,000 to a fund that would go to the last surviving member. Eventually, people start killing each other to get the money. Hunger Games was a form of this.

Those who drop out join The Opposition: Kasper Gutman Joel Cairo & their Henchmen. Maybe they are supposed to help the survivors; maybe not, maybe sometimes, but in the end, I think only one group can survive. Maybe only the bigger group gets the Maltese Falcon Razor.

In SAC, we considered our customers to be on the receiving end of our bombs. That was during the time our motto was "Peace is our Profession" (war was just a hobby).

I was a grunt, then flew -58Ds. Live fired in training with them both ways, they weren’t in my airspace downrange. -16s and -18s were, and we did some joint work, but we didn’t shoot together.

In SAC, we considered our customers to be on the receiving end of our bombs. That was during the time our motto was "Peace is our Profession" (war was just a hobby).

Well, we all considered ourselves customers as the recipients of the CAS by initiating the 9-line. They were working for us.

And of any fast mover since Vietnam, the Warthog was/is by far the preferred platform, not counting space permissible enough to allow Spectre, and you rate them being on station.

And I’m glad it was just a hobby.

Clay, calling 8” (conventional) would have been cool.

I'm sensing a need for a pep rally. I present the look of my den, about a year ago, before my lovely wife of 37 years placed my gear into bins that live under the counter and cabinets. And this fine collection within view does not include many drawers of other shaving gear that I understood could not live on this counter, due to laws of physics. Thus, I'm in this Sabbatical, and somewhat optimistic I will prevail...

View attachment 953700
your chances for success look excellent!

I'm impressed to see all of you who devoted portions of your lives to military service. I'm very grateful. Thank you for your service.

My lottery number, combined with the draft phase-out, meant that I avoided the Viet Nam war. My mom was overjoyed, as it meant her planning for a move to Canada was shelved.

Right after the Iraq war started, I was faced with the decision of where my law firm's annual charitable contribution would go. I decided we would contribute to buy holiday meals for the families at Fort Lewis who had a family member serving in the war. I faced some flack from my fellow left-wing Seattleites, but supporting the military does not entail supporting the politicians who decided to go to war. If I'm creeping close to political speech, I apologize, but I really do--in an immense way--appreciate those who serve in the military.

Top Bottom