Pepin
KQY61
Kevdogg329
sgtd
lowjax
dgreene120
Bushhippi
Heresy
That´s a very nice idea for a restraint, because practically everything I buy is bought online. We have absolutely no shop with nice shaving related items in the area. I always wanted to visit flea markets or antique shops to find shaving items but never got my butt off the couch and found ebay or BST to be the easier way. Maybe it helps me to go out and find new toys in the wild, when my body starts to shake due to detoxication. :a38:

Welcome aboard! Getting out and searching in the wild like that is also better for you in general than couch surfing the Net. lol

Thanks a lot!
I hope I can withstand the temptation longer than the 7 1/2 months of my participation to the 2014 Sabbatical.
After my fail I bought way to much. Maybe a kind of compensation like the yo-yo-effect during diets.

Hopefully a lot more people will join despite the not so ideal location of this (and all brotherhood) thread. So we can stand together to make it through the year.

I'll drop this here... some things that helped me through the various sabbaticals I've joined and completed so far.

I made a "wish list" of things I wanted to pick up, try out, that sort of thing, when I started each one. I'd glance at it and update it once every week or three. I found that by the time things had been on the list a couple months or so, I no longer had the burning desire to have to try them out right away... some of them even at all.

I would calculate how much I'd spent so far on the items I had, how little time each one got due to the volume of things I had in general, and how often I'd impulsed bought something only to see it on the shelf barely touched, or not even touched months later... or in some cases, close to a year later.

I also realized I was already getting consistent super quality shaves and results. Great lather is great lather, BBS shave is a BBS shave. Since I was already getting those, no new product I tried could improve on what was already for me perfection. I can get the same results, with a different scent, but so? I like the scent of the stuff I have already, otherwise I'd not be using it...

So, those are some of the things that went through my head at various points in sabbaticals, that kept me on the straight path to curbing my AD's. lol It actually worked for close to a year. I completed the 2013 year, and made it into the 2014 several months before a lark bid on a straight on ebay actually won. I figured if I was going to win a great condition straight razor for $17 after shipping, so be it, I'd fail out after a year plus of not buying. heh After that, I still didn't feel any need or itch to buy stuff... till recently. The AD's started to creep back up on me, so here I am, in another year long restraint. lol

I'll drop this here... some things that helped me through the various sabbaticals I've joined and completed so far.

I made a "wish list" of things I wanted to pick up, try out, that sort of thing, when I started each one. I'd glance at it and update it once every week or three. I found that by the time things had been on the list a couple months or so, I no longer had the burning desire to have to try them out right away... some of them even at all.

I would calculate how much I'd spent so far on the items I had, how little time each one got due to the volume of things I had in general, and how often I'd impulsed bought something only to see it on the shelf barely touched, or not even touched months later... or in some cases, close to a year later.

I also realized I was already getting consistent super quality shaves and results. Great lather is great lather, BBS shave is a BBS shave. Since I was already getting those, no new product I tried could improve on what was already for me perfection. I can get the same results, with a different scent, but so? I like the scent of the stuff I have already, otherwise I'd not be using it...

So, those are some of the things that went through my head at various points in sabbaticals, that kept me on the straight path to curbing my AD's. lol It actually worked for close to a year. I completed the 2013 year, and made it into the 2014 several months before a lark bid on a straight on ebay actually won. I figured if I was going to win a great condition straight razor for $17 after shipping, so be it, I'd fail out after a year plus of not buying. heh After that, I still didn't feel any need or itch to buy stuff... till recently. The AD's started to creep back up on me, so here I am, in another year long restraint. lol
For the 2014 sabbatical, I've also made a list and had originally about 15 things on it. Now there are I think 3. I also relied heavily on trades when I got the urge to try something new. Trading has worked out well and has defensively helped curb my desire to purchase new items. I plan on taking the same route for 2015.

Hi,

I only had one thing on my list at the start of the 14 restraint. So, I made it my exception and posted a WTB in the BST and in a couple weeks I had it. I did not have anything else I wanted until ATT pops out their new Slant. That, I do want. And, so will order it the day after this restraint starts. And, that will be it for me. It will take who knows how long to get it, and then I have to take a month using it to properly figure it out. After that, well maybe some things will pop up at estate sales and such. That will be the fun part of this restraint. I can go for things in the wild. :)

Stan

For the 2014 sabbatical, I've also made a list and had originally about 15 things on it. Now there are I think 3. I also relied heavily on trades when I got the urge to try something new. Trading has worked out well and has defensively helped curb my desire to purchase new items. I plan on taking the same route for 2015.

Ah yes, trading is also a huge plus. I really reduced a lot of excess stuff via trades in 2013 and into 2014. So much so I went to try a trade for a brush and realized I had almost nothing to offer. rofl

I stop by Green Park every day... which is next to Jermyn Street. Can I be in? :lol:

lol You'd be allowed to still stop by those every day, and be in... the more the merrier? lol This sabbatical may not help you curb spending habits though, in your situation. hehe

lol You'd be allowed to still stop by those every day, and be in... the more the merrier? lol This sabbatical may not help you curb spending habits though, in your situation. hehe
:lol:
Na not in, I don't buy much shaving stuff anymore anyways. But when I want something, I want it :blink:

Well I am down to approx. three brushes, three razors, three soaps, one cream, and two aftershaves.
So I think I am fairly "minimal"

Wow... that is a level I am 110% sure I will never drop to. lol DE razors and brushes, I'd be ok with 4-6 of each, straight razors are my real weakness more than anything. Creams, not so much, soaps, a little bit, DE blades, not really at all. AS not to bad either. It's those darned awesome vintage straights that get me every time. :lol:

Wow... that is a level I am 110% sure I will never drop to. lol DE razors and brushes, I'd be ok with 4-6 of each, straight razors are my real weakness more than anything. Creams, not so much, soaps, a little bit, DE blades, not really at all. AS not to bad either. It's those darned awesome vintage straights that get me every time. :lol:
:lol: Well if it makes you feel better I am now going after cigars.

Well, what is this doing on the 2nd page? We aren't doing a very good job of keeping this thread bumped up where it belongs....

By gum your right.

$IMG_3161.jpg
Need to pick up some more Speick AS before we get started. Mines all gone now.

Updated, and welcome on!:

Shave_Rat
Galaktus
cpacamper
Pepin
KQY61
Kevdogg329
sgtd
lowjax
dgreene120
Bushhippi
Heresy