What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Even with a re-stock I'm not sure how committed I will be to the 2013 sabbatical. It has already been 20 months since my last West Coast Shaving purchase.

I don't know how you guys do it. Hell, I am considering selling a pen (Lamy Studio- I almost never use it since I got my Pelikan M200) to get money in my Paypal account to order some DR Harris Windsor. I have been salivating since this was released. I have just been buying other things, like straight razors and rich man strops :biggrin:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I don't know how you guys do it. Hell, I am considering selling a pen (Lamy Studio- I almost never use it since I got my Pelikan M200) to get money in my Paypal account to order some DR Harris Windsor. I have been salivating since this was released. I have just been buying other things, like straight razors and rich man strops :biggrin:

Just added that to my wish list at WCS.

brucered

System Generated
Windsor cream was one of my pre-2013 sabbatical purchases....I used it a couple times to make sure, Yup I made the right choice

A refill puck of Windsor and some Mike's Barbershop are on my list to be purchased in January.

Any other purchases will be made at a leisurely rate.

Buying product is a lot easier than using it up. I'll use up my 5th product of 2012 soon but I still have an insane inventory. :blink:

1. akokandy
2. Price
3. Greg1911
4. OldSaw
5. flat_tire

Still in as well and I don't foresee any problems for the rest of the year. It would have been tough had I been aware of the TSN Shavemac brush in time as a D01 2-band brush could have been purchased for only $126 shipped. That is a brush I certainly want to get someday and it was a great deal compared to regular prices. Fortunately all brushes were sold by the time I discovered it and the choice was out of my hands.

The good news is that something else will always come along for those of us patient enough to wait for it.

-CZ

As a side note regarding the 2013 thread, I do think it is funny how people want to be included in the group even if they are not meeting the intent. I understand the exceptions for B&B LEs and the Sue Moore auction, but some of the other ones are a little overboard. I think it is okay that people want to buy only a few limited things throughout the year, but if you are not really demonstrating restraint then maybe you shouldn't make the commitment?

Of course, like all things B&B, YMMV as to how people define "restraint". Whether it is complete abstinence from purchases or simply a reduction from normal, I will not argue with anybody's right to participate. I wish them good luck and will probably browse the thread for the first few months to see how things go for them.

Thanks,
CZ

We actually had somebody fail this year because they bought a can of goo for a friend to shave with.
For clarification I bought the can of goo and used it myself for a couple of shaves to replicate the problems my friend was having. To be honest, I could have had a clear conscience doing just that and not having said anything about it, but it made a good excuse to exit the sabbatical and buy LOTS of aftershave and soaps.

Hey CZ.... hows that Case ??

It's working great! I used it for a trip back in November and have used it a few times at home as well. Nice dense little brush, and that actually reminds me of another purchase I need to make after the new year; a simpsons travel tube (it has to ride around in style, right?).

Thanks again!
-CZ

So, any words of wisdom from the 2012 restraint group for those of us looking to embark on the 2013 journey? You know, like.. don't do it? lol

So, any words of wisdom from the 2012 restraint group for those of us looking to embark on the 2013 journey? You know, like.. don't do it? lol

Yeah, don't &!#* up! :lol:

If you don't intend to finish what you started, don't bother. A year is a long time and there will be lots of temptation.

You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel determined? Well, do ya, punk?
$crime-movies-dirty-harry-callahan-clint-eastwood-via-theedgeoftheframe.jpg

My advice is to stay away from antique stores and e-bay. A lot of people claim that if they come across a cheap xxxxxx then they will not be able to pass it up. So if you don't come across that item, then you won't have to worry about dropping out of the sabbatical. This also saves you the dilemma of trying to determine the value of your commitment. Are you willing to fail in your purchase sabatical commitment for a savings of $20?

This is what has helped me everytime a dilemma has come up. I think to myself, is saving $XX more important than my commitment to this thread? Most items will still be available after 2013, and even the items that are not are not unique.

Just my thoughts,
CZ

I believe I showed maximum Gentlemanly Restraint by not ordering every day. Sometimes I even went for 2-3 weeks before "needing" something. Cannot say for certain that I ever lasted a month, so I won't make that claim. Oh wait, I fell for the lie that DE will save me money just this past May, so for the first 4 months of the year I was clean.

Yeah, don't &!#* up! :lol:

If you don't intend to finish what you started, don't bother. A year is a long time and there will be lots of temptation.

You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel determined? Well, do ya, punk?

I bombed out pretty badly from the 2012 restraint till christmas, but the list of things I wanted in the collection and to try was pretty huge at that point, since I'd only started out a couple months before. I've actually managed to fill out that list, now, and I don't really have anything in my head for "extremely want to own/try" at this point. That is the only reason I'm thinking I'm ok with making the commit to not purchase.

Even my list of stock up prior to Jan 1st isn't much. Some Captains Choice since that's a daily use item, and some blades I found out that are the only ones I've tried that work well in 2 razors I like to have in rotation. I just found that out, so hadn't bought those types previously. I should be good in for the long haul. :D

So, any words of wisdom from the 2012 restraint group for those of us looking to embark on the 2013 journey?
  1. Think about your exemptions carefully. I got bounced over something that almost but didn't quite fit into my personal exemptions. My exemption list allowed me to buy things to set up a newbie with, but not to buy something to sample myself to understand the problem my newbie was having.
  2. Develop your other AD's. Cast iron pans, fountain pens, and a rekindled love of my pipes really helped to distract me from my shaving related AD's. Next year I think I'm going to add guns and camping to the mix.
  3. Give in now and get the stuff that you have been yearning for before it counts against you. I have several soaps, aftershaves, and a couple of razors that I really need to get before I try joining any lengthy restraint thread.
  4. Bulk up your shave den in the time you have left. I went back to cartridge and disposable razors during Lent in part because I was cutting it close on blades for the year. Nobody should have to do that.
  5. Focus on techniques rather than stuff.
  6. Try to engage others in this hobby and enjoy your AD's vicariously through them.
  7. Save something new for later in the year when your resolve is weakening. I'm saving back some soaps and aftershaves for spring and fall that I have not yet tried.

1. Think about your exemptions carefully. I got bounced over something that almost but didn't quite fit into my personal exemptions. My exemption list allowed me to buy things to set up a newbie with, but not to buy something to sample myself to understand the problem my newbie was having.
  2. Develop your other AD's. Cast iron pans, fountain pens, and a rekindled love of my pipes really helped to distract me from my shaving related AD's. Next year I think I'm going to add guns and camping to the mix.
  3. Give in now and get the stuff that you have been yearning for before it counts against you. I have several soaps, aftershaves, and a couple of razors that I really need to get before I try joining any lengthy restraint thread.
  4. Bulk up your shave den in the time you have left. I went back to cartridge and disposable razors during Lent in part because I was cutting it close on blades for the year. Nobody should have to do that.
  5. Focus on techniques rather than stuff.
  6. Try to engage others in this hobby and enjoy your AD's vicariously through them.
  7. Save something new for later in the year when your resolve is weakening. I'm saving back some soaps and aftershaves for spring and fall that I have not yet tried.

Good stuff. I actually do not have any exemptions listed at all, this pairs with number 3. I'm not yearning for anything... I know, weird. I was on WCS to get my last essentials for a year (blades and AS), and am $9 under for free shipping. I'm actually having trouble finding anything I care to put in my cart to get to the free shipping mark. I must be ill... But, that also helps tell me that I really don't need anything, and it's a good time to stop buying stuff for a good while, hence the restraint. :) I'll toss in a few pucks/creams to stash for if I get an urge in the summer/fall to try new ones.

Top Bottom