What's new

1960's Techmatic - need some help for a mate.

I shared a photo of a razor I just bought with a friend of mine and she told me she bought her fiance a 1960's Techmatic for Christmas last year. But it's a bit broken. She said it has a winding blade that they can't find a replacement for. Both her and her fiance are really into vintage things but I had no idea her fiance had a Techmatic. I've not much idea about them but he's a top bloke and she's a close friend, so I'd like to help them out.

Are these razors common? Is it easy to fix the part she's talking about?

Haven't used a Techmatic myself, but from what I've seen, the head mechanism contains the blade ribbon (which unspools via the winder to provide "fresh blade" when the current exposed bit dulls). NOS replacement heads can periodically be found on the bay but it's been awhile since I checked. Also, from my understanding, the Techmatic typically gives a mediocre shave so it might not be worth the effort.

I'm sure more informed members will chime in with better information.

I shared a photo of a razor I just bought with a friend of mine and she told me she bought her fiance a 1960's Techmatic for Christmas last year. But it's a bit broken. She said it has a winding blade that they can't find a replacement for. Both her and her fiance are really into vintage things but I had no idea her fiance had a Techmatic. I've not much idea about them but he's a top bloke and she's a close friend, so I'd like to help them out.

Are these razors common? Is it easy to fix the part she's talking about?

If the band broke every now and then you can find them on Ebay. Nobody makes replacement bands for them anymore.

Clayton

Thanks Clayton & proxymoron. I'll keep an eye out for them.
I'm fairly sure she bought it on aesthetics and not for him to use, but she seemed a little bummed that he couldn't at least try it.

Any Techmatic cartridge would be at least 30 years old, so the sharpness of the blade would be questionable. I have seen them on eBay. I never thought they were that great for shaving because the ribbon blade usually had a curve in it. Wasn't flat.

I had a Techmatic back in the early '70s. My father didn't like it and gave it to me because I thought it was cool looking. Band cartridges were still available then.

Shave wasn't the greatest . . . Trac II kicked its butt! I worked my way through one six-blade band . . . and then tossed it in the rubbish and went back to my Schick Injector.

I have one or two handles in my collection drawer . . . but haven't seen any NOS carts to give it another try. Shave probably hasn't gotten any better in 40 years . . .

(But they are cool looking . . .)

Well, I spoke to them again today and they're happy to keep it just as a display item. That's fine given that it may take a bit of getting used to and neither of them have used DE's. They do however love all things vintage, so it has a good home. Many thanks for all info Gents.

Well, I spoke to them again today and they're happy to keep it just as a display item. That's fine given that it may take a bit of getting used to and neither of them have used DE's. They do however love all things vintage, so it has a good home. Many thanks for all info Gents.

Sounds like they are half way to switching to DEs - they already have an interest and an appreciation in vintage shaving supplies. Perhaps you should gift them a Gillette Tech (or something else that is eaqually affordable and easily obtained) with some blades...... you may convert....

Sounds like they are half way to switching to DEs - they already have an interest and an appreciation in vintage shaving supplies. Perhaps you should gift them a Gillette Tech (or something else that is eaqually affordable and easily obtained) with some blades...... you may convert....

I am actually tempted to buy her fiance a vintage razor as a small wedding gift. He'd love it.

Top Bottom