What's new

1901 NEW GEM aka Lather Catcher RESTORE

Great work Ambrose!

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the handle is great as well. I think good (or restorable) handles are harder to come by than the heads themselves and yours came out great.

Great work Ambrose!

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the handle is great as well. I think good (or restorable) handles are harder to come by than the heads themselves and yours came out great.

Thank you bud, I actually didnt realize that about the handles.
I did have a big fear to ruin this one so I took it very easy. I tried my best not to remove much or any material from it besides the grime. I used only a buffer and a only a touch of a high polishing compound.

Unbelievable....what a journey it has been from rags to rushes. You should be very proud for this one Jose. I told you guys his Gem had my mint Gem Jr. beat!:mad2:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very nice work :thumbup1:

Asked in another thread, but is there any chance of removing and re-using the existing rivets for such a resto? (I ask because I've got a Jr.Bar with tight rivets but a loose spring, thinking it would need to be removed to be bent back to the proper tension). Come to think of it, it's got a bent up closed comb section, a ton of brassing (near 100%) and the wood handle could use serious attention too.

What a great post, thanks for sharing. Reading the story and seeing the before and after pictures made my day. Fabulous that a piece of history has been saved.

Incredible job there. That's different from mine, yours takes the wedge blades like my Kampfe Bros star razor. I think that is because mine is a 1901 Gem Jr. Bar.

I have a Gillette double ring with a build date of 1905 based on it's serial number. I shave with it once or twice a year.

I can't imagine how cool it would be to shave with one of these old lather catchers designed right at the turn of the century. Especially if it looked as wonderful as your restore razor.

I am hunting one down. One day :001_rolle

Top Bottom