What's new

Quick clean ups.

Had a little time before tonight’s shave and dinner. Only planned to see if these took an edge. Looking at the simplicity I figured I could clean them up a bit before posting on frameback Friday.
It worked. The J. LeCoultre just unscrews, sand the blade ( laterally) progression on the frame ( nothing fancy) and thin down the scales where someone left file marks. Polish it all up and done. Hmmm. They didn’t use washers in plastic. So I didn’t either.

I’ve gone through the frame back thread and didn’t ( might have missed it) see any Sterlings, made in NY. Found just a couple on line.

Single pin, but an interesting blade mechanism. Like a Winchester rifle. Drop the lever, replace the blade , pulling back up and you’re locked and loaded!
Cool!
Same routine to clean it up as the LeCoultre.
Not pristine resto’s . Serviceable. Better than they were. I can live with these.
IMG_2343.jpeg
IMG_2332.jpeg
IMG_2335.jpeg
IMG_2336.jpeg
IMG_2337.jpeg
IMG_2341.jpeg
IMG_2339.jpeg
IMG_2338.jpeg
IMG_2342.jpeg
IMG_2331.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone know what the stamping is near the tip on the LeCoultre? Does someone have a complete image. If so I may re-etch it if I know what it is.

I checked on 4 of my LeCoultre, and 2 of them had nothing there, the 2 others had a name on it. None add the logo thing yours has. I suspect this was left for customizing upon demand.

Thank you for checking! I appreciate it. These little details drive me nuts. No real records but traces just lure you in.
Incrementally better ( in my mind) if it’s there. Why not?
As if anyone cares!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Maybe the blade number - they made these with blade pairs, maybe triples or quads, and 7-day sets. They’re fairly common so I suspect maybe a customer/dealer ordered them with numbered blades? You see the same scheme on escutcheons on English scales.

Maybe the blade number - they made these with blade pairs, maybe triples or quads, and 7-day sets. They’re fairly common so I suspect maybe a customer/dealer ordered them with numbered blades? You see the same scheme on escutcheons on English scales.
Yeah. I keep staring at it trying to decipher what it could be.
A number, a crown, makers mark.
Frustrating .

Make me stop.

At this point t I can’t figure out why this crazy little razor has just surpassed nearly every one I’ve used over the past decade. And that’s a lot. Every day . And I don’t care.
I’m just flabbergasted I kid you not. Twirl it like a cheerleaders baton and go at it . No fuss no muss. It’s in the top 5 ,,, maybe 3 of ones I’d want on a deserted island.
I’m at a loss. Tonight the planets aligned. And I’m so content.
G’night.

Thanks for all the help.
Can’t say it’s perfect but it no longer looks like some flawed stamp or weird pitting on the blade.
Before ( with a coat of clear as a resist) and after acid/ electric etch. Viewing the razor at normal distances it looks just fine. It seems several styles of script were used and this one appeared to be curving instead of a typed N.

IMG_2373.jpeg
IMG_2387.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom