What's new

Vulfix 404 Bristle/Badger

Item Description

This was recommended by a forum member and cost £7.80 excl P & P from www.diamonedgeltd.co.uk. Delivery was prompt @ 2 days from 5.30pm. I ordered this as my EJ Superbadger is very soft, and I have decided to concentrate on soaps again. I need something more robust.
The moment I picked this up I remembered my grandad used to have this or another Vulfix and it really brought him back...this alone is worth the price. It looks wellmade, with no visible flaws and has a sort of "candle-flame" profile to the bristle. I assume the badger-colouring is fake, but can't be certain... it'd be churlish to take issue at this price-point. The handle is sturdy and re-assuring and I'm sure it'll last for ever. The bristle is firm but not uncomfortable and invigorating to the skin. In-use, this is very different from the EJ and it whips up a lather well. Realistically, the actual amount of lather is less than with the EJ since the head is much smaller, but it appears more concentrated and seems to get creamy more quickly as the available pressure is higher with the stiffer bristles and because this doesn't have the expansive, bloomed, luxuriance of super-B its more focussed & controllable. It does the job efficiently and without irritation and should last several years.
(please note the picture is of a badger 404, and the bristle/badger mix is much lighter in bristle with less expansive blooming. )
Addendum:- After a fewshaves this has soften up nicely and stated to bloom, becoming even better- a genuinely competent brush.

Latest reviews

Pros: possibly the best handle ever
Cons: doesn't hold a lot of water
I feel this is quite a unique brush, and I will explain why. The boar/badger mixed knot is not popular commercially, and so far I feel is not popular among the B&B community. This is a tragedy to a very versatile brush. The 404 Grosvenor has, quite possibly, the best handle shape in the history of human civilization. It does not have the drama and grace of the Morris & Forndran, or the elegant simplicity of the famous VDH boar that comes with the beginner's starter kit, but it fits easily in the hand and the double-ring provides an easy spot for the fingers to grip. It is large, chunky, and heavy, providing heft and a comfortable weight.

Right out of the box the badger/bristle knot is stiff enough to paint a fence, but the boar tips quickly split and soften nicely. Once the knot breaks in and blooms, the tips are surprisingly soft. The backbone is comparable to a stiff boar, but with tips as soft as a badger brush.

This brush has a lot of scritch, but surprisingly no scratch. There is a LOT of backbone though. The knot isn't that dense, and doesn't hold that much water. I have found that once it is broken in, it doesn't take that much longer to whip up lather than with a full-badger brush.

To me, this brush is too large to be a regular choice for a travel brush but still fits into the Simpson travel tube, so I suppose it would still work for that purpose.

I find myself hard-pressed to find negative points about this brush, but I will do what I can. It isn't as luxuriously soft as other, more expensive brushes, but it mills through soaps like a buzz-saw. I have tried tilting the handle every which way I can, and it stubbornly refuses to dispense whiskey, no matter how much I curse and yell at it. Neither does it courteously greet me each time I enter the bathroom, and bid me a good day each time I leave. What a terrible brush!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Fantastic Handle & Good Backbone
Cons: Does not hold ALOT of water. It wasn't free.
I pulled it out of the box & fell in love with the handle immediately. It's heavy & large. Weighted well with the knot. My 1st brush was a synthetic which held more water, but was very floppy. I wanted something with more backbone but not the stiff scratch of a boar. Sure the badger will be softer & hold more water, but hey, I want to attack that hard soap.

I bowl lather with a Dirty Bird Scuttle (great purchase) & this brush produces more lather than I can ever use. A very nice backbone & after the 30 day break in................ it's very soft.

Believe what you read, everyone's review here is right on! I was not going to spend $100 on a brush & I already tried the $9 bust. This is a worthwhile compromise.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I purchased this brush from Bullgoose approximatly 4 months ago. It shortly became the only brush I use.

Cella and Tabac are my two favorite soaps, and it handles them both equally well. I face lather almost exclusivly, and this brush fits the bill perfectly.

Stiff but not scratchy. The tips softened up quite a bit in a short time. While certinly not as soft as my Shavemac silvertip, it blows the doors off the tweezerman or even the Omega 49.

The loft I found to be the perfect size for face lathering, yet still tall enough to whip up a generous bowl of lather if desired.

The lathe turned faux ivory handle is very ergonomic and beautiful.

Overall, I believe the Vulfix Grosvenor is a great all around brush at a budget price.

Knot: 21mm
Loft: 53mm
Overall Height: 100mm
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability