What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic shaving brush review

Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic shaving brush review

Item Description

I got this brush a couple of weeks ago along with another brush and it is absolutely superb.
Unbelievably soft, very dense knot of bristles, and has the perfect amount of backbone for lathering soaps. I have been using this brush for bowl lathering and it does a outstanding job.

I have used this brush with Proraso soaps and also Taylors Of Old Bond Street tub cream and it.

The brush does not splay easily, but personally I don’t see the need to do it with any shaving brush. You can get it to splay if you really want to, although its not as easy as other brushes. Word of warning though, that Simpson DO NOT recommend you splay the brush, and instead use a back and forth “paint brushing” motion.

It holds tons of lather and still has a heap left in it after three passes, so what I usually do with the remainder of the soap is, I squeeze it out of the brush and rub it around my face, and leave it on, until I have washed out the lathering bowl and my brush (why waste leftover lather, when I can rub it into my face and get the benefit of the ingredients) and I then wash it off.

The brush is really comfortable in the hand. I really like the handle design of the Chubby 2 brushes, it provides a really comfortable and easy to hold handle and it remains so even when it gets wet or soapy. I have noticed with the Chubby 2 synthetic, that it does seem to need a bit more soap/cream than the Razorock Big Bruce that I mentioned earlier. But again, I think the reason this is, is due to the amount of fibres Simpson have managed to pack into the knot (it looks a lot denser than the Big Bruce, after comparing them side by side). I've heard it mentioned that the Chubby 2 synthetic, can require some breaking in, but I have noticed mine performed well from the first use YMMV.

I’m so pleased I went with the synthetic version as I can wet the brush and its ready to go (no soaking required I find) and it dries quickly, albeit not as quickly as the Razorock Big Bruce that I reviewed earlier. But I think the reason is, Simpson have managed to pack an insane amount of fibres into the knot. But in a warm bathroom, the brush would be dry by late on in the day.

And lastly, the brush looks stunning on the shelf. I promised myself a Simpson brush when I first started DE shaving and I’m so pleased I got one.

Although this brush is probably one of the most expensive synthetic brushes, it is really well made and I would expect to get many years of happy shaving with it, and for that, I feel its worth its asking price.

Here's some photos of the Chubby 2 synthetic lathered up, hope you can get an idea of its performance from them. Any questions please ask :)

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2085.jpg
Reactions: awk_m4

Latest reviews

I am not a big synthetic fan, but of all the synthetic’s that I have tried this is absolutely my favorite by a long shot, it’s only slight negative is that it is a little pricey by synthetic standards.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
S
Scrubby
Would be nice to add if you used the platinum or the sovereign grade synthetics - quite a difference in price and maybe also in performance.

Item information

Added by
Talster
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Shaving Brushes (Reviews)

More from Talster

Top Bottom