What's new

Shark... Oh the Shark has, some fine shaves dear,

Item Description

picture.php

I admit it. The picture got me. That, and the name.

I'd been shaving with the much maligned and sometimes admired Dorco ST-301 , and was happy to find myself in the minority that gets good results with the Korean blades with the funny name.

When it was time to restock, I decided a new blade was in order...and it would be nice to have a blade with a cool name for a change. My drawer of modern blades stared at me - "Personna, Dorco" . It was almost insulting.

That's when the Sharks caught my eye. I read a review that praised them. I read a couple of positive comments. I saw the wrapper with the skookin' blue shark. When a fellow member offered some up for sale, I jumped the Shark, er, jumped at the chance to try these Egyptian Sharks.

The price of these is in the value category. As of this writing, member Melyus offers them for $15 shipped per hundred. I saw Shark brand blades elsewhere for a little more, but I'm not sure they are the same. Other sources show a picture of Chrome Sharks, with different packaging.

Quality seems good.

Sharpness seems to hit a sweet spot for me. They are sharp enough to handle my moderate beard, but still forgiving and smooth. The first pass takes a lot of whiskers with it. I've had a couple shaves where I went WTG twice on the neck and left it at that, saving the XTG and ATG passes for the cheeks and jawline. The blade is sharp enough to deliver a high grade DFS on the neck that way, and there is no irritation.

I'm sure there are sharper blade, but for me the Shark is "Sharp Enough".

Longevity seems better than the Dorco ST-301. I would get three multi-pass shaves out of the Korean blade, and then ditch them. The Shark blade seems perfectly fine after five multi-pass shaves. Seven shaves in to the Shark, and it's time to change. I could squeeze another shave, maybe two, out of it, but why?

The Shark gives me a smooth shave. In fact, I kind of miss the megaburn from my Florida Water.

The packaging is basic. Cardboard box of five, paper wrapper, wax paper, some glue on the blade. The glue isn't really obnoxious, but I'd prefer that it wasn't there at all.

I like these Sharks. They shave great, the price is right and the packaging has a nice, retro-cool look. They are certainly worth a try, and I think even a shaver that decides that the Shark isn't going to dethrone their favorite blade will be glad to have a pack in the blade collection.

After all, look at the shark logo. You gotta admit, the kid in you thinks that is pretty awesome.

Latest reviews

Pros: Smooth & Comfortable
Great longevity
Cheap as chips
Feels efficient
Only one wrapper to get through
Tiny glue dots that don't get on the blade edge
Cons: None
Obviously, these are subjective reviews here but for me these are great blades. Frankly, all of the Lord brand blades work well for me and these are widely available and incredibly cheap. ($8.75 for 100 on Amazon atm)

The Shark SS blades are very comfortable for me and provide a wonderful closeness. I always take longevity and price into account when purchasing things and these have, IMO, the best longevity to price ratio of all the blades I've tried.

I added in the pros that these blades come wrapped only once which is a pro for me as I find it silly that blades need to be double wrapped to protect them from something. Also, the glue dots that hold the blade in place in the wrapper are tiny on these which is wonderful as I often see the glue covering blade edges on other brands.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: It's forgiving.
Cons: It's dull and it bites.
I have tried a few types of DE blades and the Shark Super Stainless are the worst so far. The first use of a fresh blade feels like the blade is trying to bite your face off (ironically to the name). Any subsequent use feels like, well, nothing is really happening. The blade is so smooth, it's dull. To be fair, my facial hair is thick. However, Derby, which is also considered to be a smooth blade, gives me a good shave.

On the positive side, I guess they are forgiving. I didn't feel like I can easily cut myself even though my skin would feel irritated especially after the first shave. And yes, they are cheap, but many better blades are as well. Longevity is irrelevant IMHO since the blade just doesn't work for me.

I have used a few Shark blades and will give them another go until my pack of ten ends. My prediction is that I am never going to go back to these afterwards.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Cool picture on box and name.
Cons: Not sharp at all.
I have very little to say about this blade. It is very cool looking packaging. The blade is wrapped nicely. I tried 2 blades because I thought the first one was not sharpened completely at the factory. I am not sure who could possibly like these. Tugged terribly from the start. It was really uncomfortable. I will never buy these blades.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)