What's new

Semogue 1305

Item Description

proxy.php

I can't believe this has not been reviewed yet.

I got this brush on a whim from Vintagescent.com. After having it a couple of months, I find I am using this brush almost exclusively, my badger hardly gets used.

First thing I noticed was that this brush had no skunky smell when it got wet that other boars I own all have. For example any Omega brush I have owned has had it. In itself its no big deal, but not having to use Borax to get rid of this smell was a nice plus.

The brush took very little to break it in and now I have to say its makes the best lather of all my brushes including the badgers I have. It works great with soaps and creams and created mounds of rich lather, especially when used to face lather. It becomes very soft when soaked, but still firm enough to provide a great feel of the bristles on the face.

Semogue brushes feature a metal ring around the bristles, the ring is there as an added measure to hold the bristles in place. As you will see in the pictures, the brush has a very old-time barbershop look which I just love. The product screams quality and as far as I know they are still made using the same traditional brushmaking processes in by a family business Portugal. Overall this quality is better than Omega IMHO and I prefer to buy from a smaller family business.

If you want to buy a boar, this is the one you should buy.

Latest reviews

Pros: Cheap
Well Made
Vintage Look
Cons: Long Break in
So this brush will take you anywhere from two to three weeks to break in. What I did is when I came home I just did a later up with it on my hand about three times then clean and let sit until the next day. About 2.5 weeks in and you can see the split ends. It performs exceptionally well and maintains that strong backbone so many look for. I'm glad that I bought this brush. Don't buy as your only brush due to the break on period.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
An outstanding, low cost brush, that whips up a thick, creamy lather, regardless of the shaving soap I am using.

Heartily recommend it to my fellow DE shavers.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great tolather with
I started by washing the brush with dish-soap, then doing test lathers. It never had a skunky smell when it got wet.

The brush was very easy to break in, and now I have to say it makes the some of best lather of all my brushes.

I use it for cream and soaps, both bowl and face lathering, and it works every time.

I have always soaked it a few minutes in warm tap water. You do need to use it differently with different soaps/creams (amount of water retained at the beginning etc will vary)

I find that it is better to lather my face with than the badgers I have. It has more backbone, which makes painting on the lather easier.

The handle is easy to hold when whipping up the lather. I have had no issues with paint fading or chipping after 5 months of use.

I would have liked to have the name engraved in, rather than using a sticker.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)