What's new

444 Aftershave Balm (para depois de barbear)

Item Description

I bought this Portuguese aftershave balm, as I was searching for relatively natural balm which could replace the overly chemical Poraso Pre/Post I was previously using.

Before I begin I bought this product through Leon at VintageScent.com at http://vintagescent.com/aftershave-balms-c-4/444-aftershave-balm-p-1 Allow me to heartily recommend Leon's store as a great place to buy a variety of hard to find shaving products.

The 444 is probably one of the best balms I have used. It is also particularly interesting in how you can use it. You can use the balm on its own in the regular way and it will provide a great menthol blast, eliminate the most horrible razor burn and also moisturize the skin. You only need to use a small pea-sized amount an no more. However the unique way you can use 444 is to mix a small amount in your hand with you favourite aftershave splash and then apply this mixture to your face.

So far I have used this method with Aqua Velva, Spanish Floid, Indian Version of Old Spice and Skin Bracer. In all cases the smell of the aftershave takes over the very neutral smell of 444, but your aftershave has now become moisturizing and has taken on the menthol blast properties of the 444. This is particularly great for me as alcohol based splashes tended to dry my skin out, but no more!

Overall great product you should try.

Latest reviews

I only bought this to try out a cheap menthol AS . As such, it serves it purpose of providing a cool, calming sensation and reduces soreness of the skin surface. The consistency is gel-like and just a little thicker than what I need to easily spread around. Like everyone else recommended, I usually mix it with a drop of water or another lighter AS balm.

Scent: The smell of this right off the tube is exactly like cherry cough syrup. For me this is a negative but fortunately it goes off a few minutes after you put it on the face and only the cooling menthol sensation remains after.

Ingredients: menthol, glycerin, distilled water,carboxivinil resin, and disoproprilamin
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Soothing and moisturizing, convenient, economical, cool retro look.
Cons: None that I can think of...
Forever curious, but not willing to order from overseas due to the war stories others have written along the lines of: "...and it finally showed up." A reliable Canadian vendor now carries it, so I ordered and received a cool, retro-boxed tube of 444 along with a replenishment of Alt Innsbruck, so I could try them out mixed together as our European brethren are wont to do. Nice....very smooth and moisturizing. I plan to keep this pattern for the remainder of the week--it's a definite keeper (especially mixed along with the Alt Innsbruck). Wetshaving's fun!--aren't we lucky?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, awesome menthol kick, really, really cooling, moisturising
Cons: bad sensation on the face - greasy
Allright. I really wanted to try this product. I loved everything it offers, except it leaves my face very greasy. Now, if I use it, I mix a lentil-sized drop with a splash. But then it loses much of its moisturising properties.
Really good stuff, but not for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn