What's new

R41 2011

Item Description

My initial reaction to the new Muhle R41 razor was that it’s a stunning piece of craftsmanship, with flawless, shiny plating that reminded me of polished sterling or rhodium. When I picked it up for the first time, I found it lighter than the heavyweights I normally use, and with a shorter handle than my barber-poles, but with a size and heft that felt good in my hands. The balance was perfect for easy use and made holding it very pleasant.
I opened it to insert a new blade, and turned it over to examine the alignment. When I saw the blade exposure, my jaw dropped. This was not like any DE I’d ever seen before. The new R41 appeared to be beautiful, lean and quite possibly—mean.
The full review appears below.

Latest reviews

Pros: Extremely close shave.
Cons: Takes time to get the best out of it.
I got mine 2nd hand off ebay. It had obviously not seen much use.

Nice weight, beautiful craftsmanship.

If you take your time and respect the razor, it's a very rewarding shave.

I gave 8 for the grip because I felt the handle was just a little on the short side. I've now put the 10cm, heavyweight handle off my Parker 89R on it and the extra weight is fantastic!!

It's a razor blade!! you should always be careful!

Very aggressive and demands care and time.

I gave it 1 because there's no 'n/a' facility.

The new heavier and longer handle makes the razor more balanced for me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality craftsmanship, Modern rendition of classic OC design
Cons: Respect required!
Although I am relatively new to DE shaving I am also a DE head shaver which I believe qualifies me to write a review for this razor.

There seems to be little disagreement that there is a learning curve to get the most efficiency from this razor. I seemed to suffer the most cuts and weepers on my neck in the beginning. You must pay attention to technique and pressure. I have some spots on the front of my neck that even after a fourth pass require some buffing. I have used my R101 for a month of every day shaves and I look forward to every shave with the anticipation of a child waiting for dessert.

I shave at night so I am in no hurry. I'm able to appreciate the aggressiveness of the unique open comb design. The R101 handle is a smooth resin texture, but maintains a good grip when wet provided your hands are free of lather. I can not comment on the R41 handle.

My skin is still smooth when I leave for work in the morning and I still fall under the classification of DFS by dinner time. This razor delivers above and beyond all the expectations I had for it. I have found my go to daily shaver and I am content to experiment with scents and soaps only.

My compliments to Muhle for manufacturing an heirloom quality razor that may be passed down through the generations.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Aggressive and efficient
Cons: Must be careful
To me, the sensation on my face was like I was shaving with a straight razor, yet with the advantage of using a safety razor and its ease of maneuvering. Also, the razor gives great feedback. Because of its very open design, it does not get clogged easily.

Got great shaves from this razor. It's the heavy artillery needed when tackling a heaving growth.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
Codfish
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.06 star(s) 17 ratings

More in Safety Razors (Reviews)

More from Codfish

• Bamboo SE Razor
    I’ve been a wet shaver for 35 years, and have experience with a wide...
  • R41 TWIST
    The R41 TWIST is my favorite Mühle razor to date, and it’s among my...
  • R89 TWIST
    Mühle's latest addition to the shaving world is the R89 TWIST, a...
  • Infinity Silvertex (synthetic)
    Full review to be posted April 30, 2013
  • R41 2013
    I like the original R41 very much. I've shaved with it 450 times and...
Top Bottom