What's new

R41 2011

Pros: Extremely close shave.
Cons: Takes time to get the best out of it.
I got mine 2nd hand off ebay. It had obviously not seen much use.

Nice weight, beautiful craftsmanship.

If you take your time and respect the razor, it's a very rewarding shave.

I gave 8 for the grip because I felt the handle was just a little on the short side. I've now put the 10cm, heavyweight handle off my Parker 89R on it and the extra weight is fantastic!!

It's a razor blade!! you should always be careful!

Very aggressive and demands care and time.

I gave it 1 because there's no 'n/a' facility.

The new heavier and longer handle makes the razor more balanced for me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality craftsmanship, Modern rendition of classic OC design
Cons: Respect required!
Although I am relatively new to DE shaving I am also a DE head shaver which I believe qualifies me to write a review for this razor.

There seems to be little disagreement that there is a learning curve to get the most efficiency from this razor. I seemed to suffer the most cuts and weepers on my neck in the beginning. You must pay attention to technique and pressure. I have some spots on the front of my neck that even after a fourth pass require some buffing. I have used my R101 for a month of every day shaves and I look forward to every shave with the anticipation of a child waiting for dessert.

I shave at night so I am in no hurry. I'm able to appreciate the aggressiveness of the unique open comb design. The R101 handle is a smooth resin texture, but maintains a good grip when wet provided your hands are free of lather. I can not comment on the R41 handle.

My skin is still smooth when I leave for work in the morning and I still fall under the classification of DFS by dinner time. This razor delivers above and beyond all the expectations I had for it. I have found my go to daily shaver and I am content to experiment with scents and soaps only.

My compliments to Muhle for manufacturing an heirloom quality razor that may be passed down through the generations.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Aggressive and efficient
Cons: Must be careful
To me, the sensation on my face was like I was shaving with a straight razor, yet with the advantage of using a safety razor and its ease of maneuvering. Also, the razor gives great feedback. Because of its very open design, it does not get clogged easily.

Got great shaves from this razor. It's the heavy artillery needed when tackling a heaving growth.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Very effective razor delivering quick BBS shaves
Cons: Like the OCMM it can be fickle.
I acquired this on sale with free shipping because I had been fascinated by the design since it was first introduced.

The fit, finish, and design are outstanding. This could be in the Metrpolitan Museum of Art.

The razor is like the Unix OS - It is user friendly, just picky who it is friendly to. Initially, I would only recommend going with and/or across the grain. Only after gaining some experience with the razor, would I suggest going against the grain.

I have now used this razor for a month, continuously, and have gotten some of the best, closest, longest lasting shaves ever. There is a learning curve, but once mastered, it is well worth it.

The grip is excellent, even with soapy hands I can maintain a firm hold on the razor with no slip.

It is a three piece razor, so blade replacement is quite easy.

I like aggressive razors, and this fits the bill. The audible feedback is loud, comparable to the OCMM, wide open Futur, and Barber Pole Slant Bars - as is the shave. It is quick, eradicating whiskers with methodical precision. What other razors would take 3 or more passes, I can do with 2 passes.

This is not an adjustable razor.

The balance, and heft, of this razor are perfect.

I not only recommend this razor highly, but am going to against the grain, (pun intended) and say even newbies to wet shaving should try this. I know you're thinking rookies should try something milder, but using this razor with the grain it will deliver a close, comfortable shave. As a rule, new wetshavers are told to only go with the grain until they gain experience. Going with the grain, and using no pressure, this razor will not give cuts or nicks, at least in my experience.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Style
I just got my R41 three weeks ago and that was my first DE razor. I was pretty scared about some reviews indicating how aggressive the R41 is. However I must say that after three weeks of using it I do not have cuts or burns. What for me indicates being a newbie is that the shaving technique is what matters.
I have heard that the R41 is not recommended for beginners but I would say that this razor is not indicated for people that do not enjoy shaving and do not want to spend time in front of the mirror, otherwise you will get the best shaving! Being a beginner I recommend it!!1
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful finely constructed shaving instrument that renders it in a niche of it's own.
Cons: Requires more shave time than most razors or it has the ability to punish you for rushing. Also a tad over the top in cost.
If you appreciate precise well made razors that are a work of art to look at and ask you to devote some time and skill to your shaving than you've found nirvana. Being a retired guy with time on my hands the art of shaving without hurrying suits me just fine. I've owned my razor for about two weeks and have been error free except for this mornings shave. I learned from my first shave on with the R41 to use short gentle strokes when working the chin area and I guess I lost attention and wound up with my first weepr. Ouch. Lesson learned for sure. In conclusion if you are blessed with an average to heavy beard growth you could not do much better than buying this razor if shaving with a Ferrari turns you on. It does me.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Ignore the review of Wildalaska.He needs a towel to open a razor you can open by grabbing the head by the sides, just as you hold a blade by the side. To further claim that no one can get a good shave with this razor is absurd and insulting.It is also very intolerant. ESPECIALLY in this world where YMMV is more rule then exception.If you use a blade you would normally use (a mild blade) like Derby it might tug and irritate a lot. If your angle is off or steep it will scrape and you will get razor burn. If your prep or soap is not good it will let you know. However, if you what your doing this razor can be THE answer for a lot of people. I too will post a review, but feel I should for a bit longer first. I'll just put 9's now, since I got exceptionally good shaves bad 1 bad one with a Derby.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Extremely Close Shave, Well Made, Good Looking
Cons: Extremely aggressive, not for the novice
There is a bug in this web app; I select YES for would you recommend but it always displays NO. I used this razor with a Feather, and man was it ever aggressive. But it was the closest shave I have ever received. It has a nice bite to it that does not cut or burn but really pushes the envelop. You need a light hand.It's handle is a bit long, longer than a Gillette Slim Adj. I think it handles nicely. The grip is not as good as a Merkur HD, but it is still very good. I gave it a 6 for user friendly as it is not very forgiving. Blade replacement is a 9 since I would way prefer a 2 piece razor. If you want the closest shave possible, then this is the razor for you. If you want something that shaves close, but is a little more forgiving, then I would go with one of the Merkur slants. Even so, the R41 will be in my top two favs. [NOTE - I ordered mine from Great Britain which is why I got such a great price].
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: great design, well balanced, good quality shave
Cons: unforgiving
Great DE razor, a piece of art !
For first, I have a though beard and I shave at 3 days, therefore my whiskers are hard to cut. Before wet-shaving (the real one :p) I used cartridge razors and canned goo, and the N blades razor was clogged on each pass. No problem with Muhle R41. More than that, you can hear each whisker being cut.

The quality of the shave is very good, you can get a very close shave easily and a BBS in 2-3 passes. But it requires great concentration and attention, mostly under nose and on neck. If you are lazy better stick on cartridge blades.

Price: I sent $35, but it lasts for a lifetime.
Quality: at best. Nice polish, good balance
User Friendly: I gave a 10 because it is friendly if you respect it. Keep in mind that shaving is require a blade on your face, so the only friend is our hand
Grip: good grip, didn't slip until now
Ease of Blade Replacement: like any other DE razor, does not bother me
Aggressiveness: very very aggressive, unforgiving
Adjustability: N/A
Balance: great balance, perfect

In conclusion, I get great shave with R41, the only problem is on my neck. I rarely get nicks or cuts on cheeks and chin, you just have to learn it's angles.
NOT recommended for beginners or hurry shavers!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Finish, Grip (grande), price, blade exposure, fun factor
Cons: Difficult around certains areas of face, blade exposure, (lack of) weight
Wow! What a razor! I was a little hesitant about doing this because I've only been DE shaving for two months. I took my time and did a two pass shave using a Gillette Platinum blade. Normally I don't use shave oil, but this time I did. I just wanted a little extra protection. Smooth areas of my face like my cheeks, mustache and chin were pretty easy. The difficult areas were my neck and just below my nose. I had to be especially careful when first touching the blade to my skin for each pass. I could tell immediately that carelessness in in blade angle or pressure could lead to disaster. However, once underway razor did wonderfully. I appreciated the extra feedback. It was noisy, but it kept me out of trouble. I also like the action of the comb. Lather was peeled away easily and all that was left was clean skin. The downside to this is that with other razors, you can cheat and go back over an area for a touch up because there's still enough shave cream left on your face. I'm glad I purchased the Grande model. I never once thought about the razor slipping, so that allowed me to focus on my passes. I still wish it were heavier. The end results were one of the best shaves I've ever had. I didn't bother to go for a touch up because I was very happy with how smooth my face was. Just for fun, I followed up with an alcohol based after shave just to see what areas on my face were affected. No pain. Just a cooling sensation. With all of the positives about this razor, I probably won't use this as my everyday shaver. Sometimes I prefer not to have to concentrate so much. My Edwin Jagger Bulbous will probably be the one that I use daily. However, I did enjoy the adrenaline rush. This will make a fun weekend razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: well made and finished
Cons: too agressive and painful to use
I bought this razor as an addition to my main EJ89 Chatsworth and Merkur HD. I was initially considering a Merkur Slant, but decided to go this this one. The razor is finished extremely well, and the chrome is outstanding. The handle is a little on the light side but the balance of the razor is good. Using it is quite different from the regular razors. You need to have a shallower angle (flatter rather than perpendicular) as the blade has considerable more exposure than the EJ89. The mantra of no pressure is even more appropriate here as this razor is totally unforgiving. I found that I was not enjoying the shave at all, as the feel is very abrasive and uncomfortable. You may get a closer shave in fewer passes if you handle it correctly but whats the point if your face is on fire? I have used it for a week with a variety of different soaps and creams (MWF, Tabac, Palmolive, TOBs) and my three main blades (Yellows, Feathers and Derbys) but will probably be putting this back in the box.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
0.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Looks great, perfect balance, shaves fantastic
Cons: huge blade gap - take care
I tried this razor as part of a R41 pass-around. I really like this razor. If I was acquiring razors, this would be top of my list.

Price 8 - Not inexpensive, not over the top - Fair price if one shops around. I'm okay paying for quality.

Quality 10 - Beautiful. Superb build quality. Functional. Unique open comb design.

User Friendly 10 -

Grip 9 - nice handle, comfortable

Ease of Blade Replacement 10 - I like 3 piece designs

Aggressiveness 10 - Yes, this is a very aggressive razor. Huge blade gap.

Adjustability 1 - Not applicable, fixed

Balance 10 - works great for me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent quality, superb shave
Cons: Relearning technique
I bought my R41 a couple of months ago and have been using it exclusively since then, with the exception of this morning. I found that there is a re-learning curve when using this razor, a very light hand is required........ or else!! :scared: My moustache area required a complete technique rework, but all good now, just needs a bit of patience. Once I adjusted my technique I've had nothing but excellent shaves. The ongoing ingrown hair problem on my neck has disappeared for the first time ever. My skin is smoother and the stubble is kept at bay longer than with any other razor I've used. The quality of the razor is truly first class, it's beautifully chromed and well balanced, though it is quite a bit lighter than my previous favourite (Merkur 39C). This morning I went back to the 39C to get a comparison. What can I say......... alas poor Sledgehammer I knew him well. :bored: The Muhle R41 is now unquestionably the only razor I will be using in future. If you like an aggressive razor, that is of top shelf quality then this is your razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smoothness of BBS, positive reaction of the skin
Cons: Difficult learning curve
There have been many, many Muhle R41 threads on the boards over the past months, covering a wide diversity of topics. Most have gone extinct, but the B&B community has addressed many different aspects of this razor, and I really feel it deserves a comprehensive post that sums up as many aspects of it as possible. (As such, I will make an index to posts about the R41 below.) The primary intent of this thread, however, is to detail the intricacies of this razor.

The R41 truly is unlike any other razor I have ever used (and I have used plenty of others!). When I got my R41, I had to relearn how to shave my whole face, as the R41 is unforgiving of sloppy technique. Shaving with other razors, one grows accustomed to a certain amount of give-and-take. You may think you are mastering the art of the shave, but do not succumb to hubris! The razor is a mentor. The slightest error in technique and you will pay the price in blood. That being said, in my opinion, the R41 is worth it. If you stick with it for a week, you will soon learn how to handle it with no problem. The result? Redefining BBS. Now, don't get me wrong, I can get an easy BBS from my injectors. As the day wears on, the injector BBS proves much less smooth than that of the R41. After shaving 10+ hours ago with the R41, my cheeks are still nearly completely smooth.

I am gradually mastering my chin and mustache areas, and showing steady improvement. A few tips: when shaving the chin, it helps to touch only a small portion of the blade to the skin. Much like shaving with a straight, you do not want the entire blade to be touching your face at once, as that is sure to lead to cuts. As for the mustache, when shaving ATG, the physics of the razor make it nearly impossible to shave south-to-north without suffering egregious wounds. It is still possible to get a BBS shave under the nose, however, by starting the pass at the outside corner of the mouth, and shaving diagonally to the area right under the nose. (Thanks to noahpictures for this!) With the rest of the face, it is key to go slowly and take short, deliberate strokes.

In my experience, this razor shaves differently than my other DEs. I can feel a lot of feedback, almost like a tugging at the skin, very similar to a straight. The experience of most is that this razor delivers a BBS shave in fewer passes than a normal DE, but I still find myself doing the normal 3.5. Coupled with the fact that one must be more careful and slow, I find it's actually taking me longer to shave in the morning. I am sure this will improve as my familiarity grows, however, and the razor is definitely worth it. I am also finding that this razor magnifies the characteristics of the blade, making a feather all the more sharp. If you don't have luck with one blade, try a few others before giving up!

Perhaps the most gratifying thing of all is the way my skin is reacting to the closeness of the shave. I normally want to take a break after my third or fourth day of shaving, but that has not been the case with the R41. I don't know why, but somehow the aggressiveness is making my skin react positively. While the aftershave does smite a bit, my face feels positively glowing after each shave, and I feel no need to rest a day or two.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautifully Made
Cons: Irritating and Unforgiving
This is a gorgeouly made, high quality razor. Unfortunately, the design is such that it requires concentration to use and because it is less refined in the blade/skin interface, it is very irritating. The shaves are close, but one can achieve just as close a shave with a more refined razor like the EJ DE89L, and one wont get razor burned in the process. I see no advantage whatsoever in this razor over the DE89 and the like, so I do not reccomend it. I have been shaving since 1968 with all sorts of razors and this one gave me the worst burn I have ever experienced. Shaving should be an enjoyable experince and this razor makes it unenjoyable. Some users have reported excessive blade flex in this razor, and I tend to think that this design flaw is the cause of the problems that many users have reported.

The other major flaw is that the large amount of exposed, blade makes changing blades a dicey procedure. Sure, you can use a towel to rpotect your fingers, but the fact that you need to do that demonstrates that the design of this razor was prooly thought out

Just to emphasize: well made (with the exceptions noted), easy to use (if you concentrate) and gives you a good shave. However, it is extremely irritating on the skin (especially the neck) and in light of this, it is not a good razor. While some folks would have you believe that poor results from this razor come from poor technique, the simple fact is that this razor, due to its design, is very irritating. It is a poor choice for both newbies and advanced shavers, simply because there are far better razors out there that can do everything this one does without the consequences. Even its admirers report cuts, nicks and irritation. Thats not what shaving is about.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
0.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
Quite simply the best safety razor there is, if you like aggressive, then this is as good as it gets, truely the dogs bollocks in the razor world, matched up with custom handles just does not get any better.

Mühle R41 2011 razor will become a cult amongst it's users worldwide.
proxy.php
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful, ergonomic and effective
Cons: Blade selection more important than most DEs
My initial reaction to the new Muhle R41 razor was that it’s a stunning piece of craftsmanship, with flawless, shiny plating that reminded me of polished sterling or rhodium. When I picked it up for the first time, I found it lighter than the heavyweights I normally use, and with a shorter handle than my barber-poles, but with a size and heft that felt good in my hands. The balance was perfect for easy use and made holding it very pleasant.
I opened it to insert a new blade, and turned it over to examine the alignment. When I saw the blade exposure, my jaw dropped. This was not like any DE I’d ever seen before.
The new R41 appeared to be beautiful, lean and quite possibly—mean. I was surprised again when I put it to my cheek and took a few light practice strokes and heard scratching sounds as if I hadn’t shaved in a day. I had just had a fine BBS shave two hours earlier. I touched my fingers to my face and felt nothing.
I decided to do a quick shave. I was a little intimidated at first by the blade exposure. I loved the pronounced audio feedback. I relaxed after a minute or so and began to enjoy being guided as much by sound as sight. All the way through, the sound of whiskers being mowed down was a helpful guide. I took care to use only feather-light strokes. After the second pass, I stopped and cleaned up. No sting at all from my alcohol-lased Booster's aftershave, and none from the Tabac cologne that always highlights any irritation that Booster's might have missed. I developed an appreciation for the effective job the razor had done. This was an awesome shaving tool.
During the month that I’ve used it a daily, the R41 became my favorite DE razor. I am a fan of aggressive razors and sharp, smooth blades. I also prefer substantial razors with longer handles. The Muhle, while shorter and lighter than my barber-poles, felt very comfortable and well-balanced in my hands. It was significantly more nimble than the long-handled models. I was surprised that the normal blade life I usually got from Iridiums was cut by at least a third. This held true with the next five brands I tried. I finally found that Perma-Sharps and Personna Med Preps worked best for me and would give me at least three good shaves per blade.
This review is my impression of the Muhle R41 2011 after a month of daily use:
Price: The cost of this razor depends on how carefully you shop. I bought mine for $45, and I’ve seen prices ranging from $36-$61*. No matter what the price, the razor offers high value for the money. I gave it a "10".
Quality: This is a beautiful and functional piece of craftsmanship. Muhle is known for high quality manufacturing standards and Rolls-Royce quality plating. I found the R41 to excel in every dimension of quality. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it win manufacturing awards or find it displayed at the Smithsonian in Washington or Museum of Modern Art in New York.
User Friendly: I gave it a "10" because I actually prefer two- and three-piece razors for ease of cleaning. The extra few seconds it takes to replace a blade every few days I find negligible. The grip and balance contribute to great control and performance. I felt this razor made sure, close and comfortable shaves easy.
Grip: The grip and its finish are two of the R41's finest features. The texturing is attractive and provides a secure grip under slippery conditions. The handle is large enough to be well-suited to most users, but small enough to be very nimble. A "10".
Ease of Blade Replacement: Personally, I like three-piece razors, especially this one. The quality of construction is even evident in the cut of the threads that bind it together. It is so well fitted that it screws into the head as smoothly as if it were coated with grease. A "10”.
Aggressiveness: This is an aggressive and effective razor capable of giving really fine shaves. With a sharp blade like Feathers, Perma-Sharps or Personna Med Preps it is arguably in a class by itself. I own a number of razors that are considered aggressive, and I generally use adjustables at their highest settings. Other than a straight, I haven’t used anything that compares with this. One of the pictures in this review shows the blade exposure from underneath and may explain why. This razor does give really fine, close and comfortable shaves. If the rating scale went higher than "10" it would deserve it. However, it is not for everyone. I’ve seen “For Sale” offers on B/S/T from users who didn’t like it and found it too aggressive.
Adjustability: This is a non-adjustable razor. "N/A" (shows as “10” because “N/A” is no longer a rating choice and I think it’s perfect the way it is).
Balance: I like the overall weight and balance of this razor very much. It is perfectly balanced for ease of use. A "10"
Overall: I still have difficulty holding back my enthusiasm for this razor. It’s just that good. It is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and for me, shaves better than any DE or SE razor I’ve ever used.
I would hesitate, however, to recommend it to anyone who doesn’t like very aggressive razors. I also think it would be irresponsible to recommend it to a new shaver, or anyone whose shaving skills are not fairly well tuned. This is as close to a straight razor as DEs have come, at least in my experience.
I should point out the one issue I’ve had with it: it can be hard on blades. My Iridium Supers that work so well for me in the other razors in my rotation have 30-40% less life in the R41. Other owners have had similar experiences. Collectively we’ve tried many potential candidates, and for the most part agree that sharp, smooth blades seem to work best. Feathers, Personna Med Preps and Labs, Russian Perma-Sharps and Gillette Yellows work well for most of us.
I have never before come across any other DE that would deserve a perfect score.

UPDATE: The R41 2011 was modified by Mühle in 2013 to adjust blade exposure and flex. I have posted a separate review.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)