What's new

Old Spice (Generic)

Item Description

I'm not one that digs store brand knock-offs of already bargained priced brands. I don't understand the point of buying a 1.99 plastic bottle of fake Aqua Velva when there's a giant glass bottle on the shelf next to it for a dollar more. I've smelled them all, and for the most part they all pale in comparison to their slightly more expensive big brothers.

Having said that, I've been using the generic Old Spice for years. It's hard to miss; unlike real Old Spice it doesn't come boxed, and it has a prominent buoy shaped plastic bottle with embossed nautical motifs on both sides of the neck. I used to get it at Dollar General, who stopped carrying it in favor of the Barbasol line a couple of years back. I now get it at Family Dollar, but I suspect it's available at similar stores around the country. The front label reads Spice Aftershave with a logo of something called Ivy Club. I don't know if this is supposed to be a brand name or what but it's distributed by the Vi-Jon company of St. Louis.

The scent is of vintage Old Spice, not that pretender to the throne that Proctor and Gamble currently label as such. Nope, this is more akin to Schulton brand OS. It doesn't smell cheap at all, and most people would not guess that it's not genuine OS. FWIW, I can not wear genuine new stock Old Spice without smelling like what my girlfriend terms "a dirty old man". She positively loves this brand, though, and I've had no complaints- only compliments.

The only discernible difference I can note between this and regular OS is that this brand smells like it has more alcohol to it out of the bottle, but this may have to do with the overall more subdued scent in general. I can spot no difference in alcohol once it goes on the skin, its burn is no more or no less than what you would expect form real OS. The moisturizing quality is on the lower end of the spectrum. The scent doesn't last as long as genuine OS either; an hour or so, at best, is what you're looking at.

For 1.50 you can't go wrong. Try some today. If you perish the thought of having such a cheap aftershave in your shave den, transfer it to an old glass bottle of the Schulton brand. Besides, now that genuine Old Spice has gone all plastic, what's to stop you from branching out? :wink:

Latest reviews

Good stuff. Scent is great, classic old spice. I picked up mine as Fred's under the label "New Spice." I checked on the bottom and it has the Vijon logo right there.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smells Like the Original, Cheap, Readily Available
Cons: Contains either Mace or Napalm
Well for the most part I agree with all of the previous reviews. This is a a great smelling, cheap product. I am pleasantly surprised at this. The scent is just like I remember OS being when I was a kid. My only complaint with the scent is that it's gone so quickly. I guess for some that could be a good thing. My only real gripe about this was when I put it on, Holy Mary Mother of God!!! I had to check the label to make sure that it did not contain mace or capsicom. It burned that bad. It had NO cooling sensation whatsoever. Now, I will be fair in that I ALWAYS use Skin Bracer, or at least some AS that has menthol so a cooling kick is accompanied by the burn. Also I used a new razor/blade combination. The razor is something I used once before and after this I am glad I am PIFing to someone! So it may have been a combination of things, but I will say it got my eyes open and my heart going this moring. Thank God for blue ice packs!!! Bottom line is it smells like it should...period. That alone is weorth the price of admission. I'm gonna give it another go with my usualy set up to see if that improves it. If it does not I will write the makers and urge them to change the name to Dragon Urine Spice.....
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap
Cons: No staying power
This stuff does smell good; while it lasts. It is just like Old Spice without the powdery smell and what my dad always smelled like. So I really like it for those characteristics.

However the scent is GONE after 2 hours. I am not talking about faint, it is GONE. If that is what you are looking for, then it is a huge plus. I am looking for some more staying power. So for that reason alone I have to take points away.

The genuine Old Spice has the staying power that I am looking for and I find the scents to be very similar after the powder smell wafts off. I have heard that if you do 2 parts of this with 1 part genuine Old Spice it holds off the powder smell and gives you the Shulton smell with the lasting power of the P&G Old Spice.

I will use this till the bottle is empty, but most likely going to stick with only P&G Old Spice in the future.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)