What's new

Old Spice (Generic)

Good stuff. Scent is great, classic old spice. I picked up mine as Fred's under the label "New Spice." I checked on the bottom and it has the Vijon logo right there.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smells Like the Original, Cheap, Readily Available
Cons: Contains either Mace or Napalm
Well for the most part I agree with all of the previous reviews. This is a a great smelling, cheap product. I am pleasantly surprised at this. The scent is just like I remember OS being when I was a kid. My only complaint with the scent is that it's gone so quickly. I guess for some that could be a good thing. My only real gripe about this was when I put it on, Holy Mary Mother of God!!! I had to check the label to make sure that it did not contain mace or capsicom. It burned that bad. It had NO cooling sensation whatsoever. Now, I will be fair in that I ALWAYS use Skin Bracer, or at least some AS that has menthol so a cooling kick is accompanied by the burn. Also I used a new razor/blade combination. The razor is something I used once before and after this I am glad I am PIFing to someone! So it may have been a combination of things, but I will say it got my eyes open and my heart going this moring. Thank God for blue ice packs!!! Bottom line is it smells like it should...period. That alone is weorth the price of admission. I'm gonna give it another go with my usualy set up to see if that improves it. If it does not I will write the makers and urge them to change the name to Dragon Urine Spice.....
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap
Cons: No staying power
This stuff does smell good; while it lasts. It is just like Old Spice without the powdery smell and what my dad always smelled like. So I really like it for those characteristics.

However the scent is GONE after 2 hours. I am not talking about faint, it is GONE. If that is what you are looking for, then it is a huge plus. I am looking for some more staying power. So for that reason alone I have to take points away.

The genuine Old Spice has the staying power that I am looking for and I find the scents to be very similar after the powder smell wafts off. I have heard that if you do 2 parts of this with 1 part genuine Old Spice it holds off the powder smell and gives you the Shulton smell with the lasting power of the P&G Old Spice.

I will use this till the bottle is empty, but most likely going to stick with only P&G Old Spice in the future.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Everything
Cons: no cons at all
I am an Old Spice guy. My favorite shaving scent bar none. I picked up a bottle of this stuff for under $2 and its great. I use this throughout the week so I don't use up my stash of vintage Old Spice to soon. I recommend this to everyone who likes Old Spice.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Great stuff...

Smells great, cheap as dirt, only burns when I've shredded my face through technique mishaps, fights razor burn but as others have said it's no ASB, has a warming sensation instead of cooling, and also doesn't really moisturize.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
My review is basically what the others have said....

Great product that works, smells better the P&G Old Spice, and can be found at incredible (low) prices.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
It's cheap, it smells like real OS, it does what it's supposed to do. What's not to like?
The plastic bottle reminds me of the old OS conditioning aftershave bottles from the 1980s.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Well I suppose its time to fess up. My shelf contains a good number of far more upscale colognes but for those "knock around the house and/or go do chores and work up a sweat" I invariably splash on some Old Spice. I did buy a bottle of Tabac for the same purposes but found I positively could not stand the scent. A sample of Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime & Peppercorn has proved great and also serves as a change of pace to the old standard OS. When it runs out though I doubt I'll be buying more given my application and the price. I much prefer stuff like Guerlain Vetivier, Issey Miyake, Aramis, Baldessarini, Dolce & Gabbana, Envy, etc. to Bay Rums anyhow.

Having read numerous comments here about the Vi-Jon generic OS, I took advantage of being close to a Family Dollar Store while running errands and picked up a $1.60 7 ounce bottle. Everything posted here about it being a great match for the old formulation is spot on. If you have any inclinations towards Old Spice whatsoever, don't hesitate to pop for a bottle of this juice. This, along with cheap generic witch hazel, has got to be the absolute best bang for the buck in shaving... period.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
About the only realy bad thing is the bottle. When I first saw it on the shelf-I thought I was in the wrong department , looking at bottles of 2 cycle oil.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Best value, and great stuff! Smells like OS should, and did. My wife doesn't like the smell of it when I first put it on, but after a few minutes it mellows and meshes.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I am personally a big fan of Old Spice - especially the original Shulton formula version. Upon reading about this product I knew that I had to try it out. Luckily I was able to obtain two bottls with the help of a friendly US member here on B&B.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Price
This stuff is cheaper than chips. There is no excuse for not getting a bottle to try out

Quality
The aftershave itself is of a better than average quality actually - but the plastic bottle is a big turn-off

Fights Razor Burn
Not as effective than your average ASB - but not better nor worse than your average alcohol based AS

Cooling Sensation
Actually this AS has more of a warming sensation, though not as much as the P&G formula Old Spice

Scent
It's the real Old Spice - or at least close enough for me not to notice any diffrence. The scent only lingers for a few houers, but that is long enough for an AS

Efficacy
A small dose covers a large area

Moisturizing
Not really, but it doesn't dry out the skin as much as one could fear from the high alcohol content

No Alcohol Burn
It has a fair amount of alcohol burn, but nothing unplesant

Regards.

Jakob
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
It is so inexpensive, you can just keep splashing it on throughout the day to maintain the scent.
I have used this exclusively for a week now and I wish I never over looked this stuff. To me this is hands down way better than the new formula of Old Spice and only 1.60, I should be kicked for never giving this a good try. The staying power won't last as long as Old Spice but smells closer to what Old Spice use to smell like. To me this works as well as some of the more pricey A/S splashes I have. Give it a try.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Well, I was really skeptical that this would be a nice product, but I'm pleasantly surprised.
I love the scent, I wish it were stronger, but I really love it. I don't have any P&G Old Spice to compare it to - but I can say that this stuff smells great in it's own right. However, within an hour or two it's gone, which isn't really a negative. My skin feels a little sticky when I first put this on, but that goes away quickly, too.
I found mine at Family Dollar for $1.60

(I did find the Phoenix Labs stuff at another dollar store, and in my opinion these two can't be the same product - Phoenix labs bottle is cheaper looking and missing the plug with the whole that limits the product when you pour - plus phoenix labs doesn't smell as nice)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
OK! That's it! I'm going to the dollar store tomorrow!
The stuff I got was labeled "Spice for men" in a clear plastic bottle with a black twist top, made in USA by Phoenix Labs. Right next to it was the white plastic bottle with the anchors motif, and a side to side whiff confirmed what the labels hinted at: same scent, both made by Phoenix labs.

Some notes on my ratings:

• Price - how can you beat a buck a bottle?
  • Quality: For the money, outstanding. Good in it's own right, too.
  • Fights Razor Burn: It does, but it's no balm.
  • Cooling Sensation: Nope, this has a warming sensation, if anything, but I like it, so it gets a good rating anyway.
  • Scent: If you like Old Spice, then step right up!
  • Efficacy: What's that word? Seriously, it is a good splash AS.
  • Moisturizing: Not a strong point for this product.
  • No Alcohol Burn: I hate this rating. Yes it has alcohol burn, and I like alcohol burn. In fact, this has just about the right amount of alcohol burn, but if I rated it a "2" cause it DOES burn, then the overall rating suffers, so I rated it for "How close this product comes to my ideal alcohol burn". There, I go that off my chest.

This is good stuff for Old Spice fans. If P&G ever issued a retro edition of Old Spice using something really close to the Shulton formula in glass bottles, I'd spend the dough to stock up. As it is, I'd rather have the Generic than the P&G version.

Now, if only there was a generic Old Spice cologne...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I just took the plunge and got the $1.60 bottle. This stuff is great. I really prefer this over the PG version of Old Spice.
Thanks for reviewing this! I've been wondering about it for a while. I'm a BIG fan of generic skin bracer knockoffs, so I'll give this a try ASAP.
Vi-Jon makes the generic "Flag & Sail Brisk" (Skin Bracer clone) that I use.
Thanks for the review. Can you take a look at the bottle and tell me if it's manufactured in India?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)