What's new

Nice caddy, one flaw

Item Description

I purchased the Swissco “Mozart” shaving set from Drugstore.com on sale for about $85.
The kit comes with a nickel plated stand, a M3 razor, a badger brush and an 1.8 ounce cake of their Sapone Da Barba Shaving Soap.

Overall impression: All of the components are high quality stuff and with a little care they should last and look good for years. I especially like the small footprint of the stand which fits well on my small vanity.

The components:

Stand: simple but elegant design. Stable and sturdy and easy to rinse off in the sink. Nothing to rust, chip or discolor.

The M3 razor: I tried the razor and it is very nice with good balance and quality construction. I actually “drawered” the razor as I use the razor holder of the stand for my DE razor (currently a Merkur Barber Pole is being used).

Brush: This is my first Badger Brush. Wow! I was using an Omega Boar Brush which was fine but I really like the way this brush feels on my face. It is sort of like petting a dog with your face (I know that sounds weird, but it is the best example that I could think of). The brush is bushy (perhaps a bit too bushy) and stores “brush side up” which gives it a bigger bloom. The handle is metal with a flat top making it easy to stand on the counter top when shaving. All in all, a great experience.

The soap: The Sapone Da Barba bar is smallish at 1.8 ounces (50 g). It lathers well and delivers a good shave. It has a very mild but pleasant “soapy” smell.

The bowl: The bowl appears to be high quality stainless steel but it is tiny. I’m estimating about 8 ounces. Even with the small Sapone Da Barba soap you have to be very careful building lather and even then you will slosh soap out of the bowl. I tend to build lather and then complete the job on my face. With a little practice this is easy but I don’t think you could use this bowl with a normal size puck which is a huge disappointment (any suggestions?) as you are limited to buying their refills. Let’s face it; one of the fun things about wet shaving is trying different products (at least for me).

Conclusion: All in all a fine product but it is a bit pricey and the small shave bowl will definitely limit your soap choices.

Latest reviews

I purchased the Swissco “Mozart” shaving set from Drugstore.com on sale for about $85.
The kit comes with a nickel plated stand, a M3 razor, a badger brush and an 1.8 ounce cake of their Sapone Da Barba Shaving Soap.

Overall impression: All of the components are high quality stuff and with a little care they should last and look good for years. I especially like the small footprint of the stand which fits well on my small vanity.

The components:

Stand: simple but elegant design. Stable and sturdy and easy to rinse off in the sink. Nothing to rust, chip or discolor.

The M3 razor: I tried the razor and it is very nice with good balance and quality construction. I actually “drawered” the razor as I use the razor holder of the stand for my DE razor (currently a Merkur Barber Pole is being used).

Brush: This is my first Badger Brush. Wow! I was using an Omega Boar Brush which was fine but I really like the way this brush feels on my face. It is sort of like petting a dog with your face (I know that sounds weird, but it is the best example that I could think of). The brush is bushy (perhaps a bit too bushy) and stores “brush side up” which gives it a bigger bloom. The handle is metal with a flat top making it easy to stand on the counter top when shaving. All in all, a great experience.

The soap: The Sapone Da Barba bar is smallish at 1.8 ounces (50 g). It lathers well and delivers a good shave. It has a very mild but pleasant “soapy” smell.

The bowl: The bowl appears to be high quality stainless steel but it is tiny. I’m estimating about 8 ounces. Even with the small Sapone Da Barba soap you have to be very careful building lather and even then you will slosh soap out of the bowl. I tend to build lather and then complete the job on my face. With a little practice this is easy but I don’t think you could use this bowl with a normal size puck which is a huge disappointment (any suggestions?) as you are limited to buying their refills. Let’s face it; one of the fun things about wet shaving is trying different products (at least for me).

Conclusion: All in all a fine product but it is a bit pricey and the small shave bowl will definitely limit your soap choices.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)