What's new

Cyril R. Salter Luxury Shaving Cream- Sublime Citrus

Item Description

Phil from Bullgoose Shaving graciously sent ten of us on the board samples of Sublime, and Mint creams to sample.

Price: This comes in a 6.76 ounce container. TOBS comes in a 5.3 ounce container. This costs 18.00 per tub, TOBS costs 13.50 per tub. Doing the math, this costs $2.66 per ounce, and TOBS costs $2.56 per ounce. So there is a ten cent difference between the two, that being considered, this is an excellent value.

Quality: Top notch, performs at least equal to TOBS.

Scent: When I first opened this, the scent was so wonderful, I thought briefly about eating the shaving cream. It needs a warning on the label: DO NOT EAT THE SHAVING CREAM! It's a combination of grapefruit, and lemon scents.

Lather: This erupted into wonderful creamy moisturizing lather, with very minimal effort. Lather easily lasted through my 3 pass shave, with no degradation of overall quality.

Packaging: Sold in a 200 ml/ 6.76 ounce container with a double snap lid.

Overall: This is top notch shaving cream, and I would definitely not hesitate to pick up a tub, or two.....currently I have a huge stock of shaving cream, so I need to resist the temptation to buy....:lol::lol:

Latest reviews

I've been slowly using a tub of this stuff for the past month or so.

Price: At about $18 a tub, it's not the best price per tub. However, with Salter you get a 200ml tub as opposed to most other companies' 150ml tub. In this fashion, the cost per ml is similar.

Quality: Overall, quite decent.

Scent: In the hugely YMMV world of shaving, this is one of the creams that can best be described. It smells like grapefruit with a little bit of lemon oil. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy shaving with, then the scent should suit you well. I like the scent, but probably wouldn't use it as an everyday cream.

Latherability: This cream is quite thin compared to any other I've used, and as such I tend to use a good bit more of it per shave. However, once it's in the bowl the lather comes relatively quickly and easily.

Efficacy: The cream is quite slick and very cushioning. It compares favorably with the best of them. I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but after a while my skin gets a very slight tingle with this cream. I'd imagine it's because of the citrus content, but perhaps if you've got sensitive skin this won't be good for you.

Moisturizing: Never had much of a problem with this.

Packaging: The blue tub that it comes in is similar to other manufacturers tubs, but I find that this one isn't quite as good. It seems to not seal as tightly as some other brands.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Thanks to Phil! I must say this one of the most natural smelling lemon products I have ever smelled whether it be a cologne, aftershave, or shaving cream. Top notch and great value from Cyril Salter.
Based on the reviews to date I had been looking forward for my delivery from Phil at Bullgoose. I got it and yes it did smell as described by others. When I went to use it and swirled my Shavemac silvertip and then to my face it lathered but it was just OK. Nothing compared to ToBS or Trumpers or some of the less expensive creams like Ingrams. The shave itself was good. nice moisturizing properties, smooth glide of my Mercur Classic with a Lord's Platinum blade in it. So no complaints there. I guess my expectation of the latehr was that it would have been thicker and creamier. Oh well.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)