What's new

Marvy Rubber Mug

Item Description

This is a review for the Marvy Rubber Mug:

displayimage.php

Many of you may have seen this for sale at barber supply houses, on Ebay, and on Amazon.

This is an absolutely huge mug, made out of rubber, so it is unbreakable. It is nearly 4 inches high, 3.5 inches wide at the base, and 4" wide at the mouth. Should be great for lathering in, and a dream for a clumsy person like me prone to breaking ceramic mugs.

What's not apparent in most of the photos of this mug, is that there is a rubber ring in the bottom which is meant to hold a puck of soap in place. It effectively divides the bottom of the mug into two compartments.

The problem is this ring is too small, so it doesn't hold any standard sized puck of soap very well. You have to force the soap into the bottom, and hope it sits flat.

(I tried it with a puck of Vintage Williams, a puck of Modern Williams, and a puck of Godrej. Only the Godrej fit nicely, but the Godrej is smaller than a normal size puck).

This rubber ring means the mug is designed for lathering directly on the puck, which is something most of us don't usually do, as it is highly wasteful of soap.

I made a few attempts at removing this round ring from the bottom of the mug, but in the end was not successful.

My recommendation would be to avoid this mug, as it will not function well for most of us. :thumbdown:thumbdown

Latest reviews

Pros: material
Cons: width
I like this mug a lot. I'm a shower shaver and it's nice to have something that won't shatter. That being said, it's a bit inconvenient for just lathering. It would be nicer to be a bit wider and shallower. I might transplant my williams puck into it and see how that goes, but I'm not a one soap kind of guy.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
Pros: hard rubber so it won't break, big, holds the puck at the bottom
Cons: you can choose any color...as long as its green
i love this mug. i fell in love with williams soap, and after using it for awhile in a regular coffee mug, i happened across this on ebay. works great, holds my puck still so i can lather on top of it. it doesn't fit down in completely, but it holds the puck snug and you can lather just fine on it. it was a bit pricier than i expected to pay for a mug, but after figuring out i never need to buy another shave mug again, its pretty darn good.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I like this mug. I've had one for a long time, it works great for me. I use it to hold whatever hard soap I'm currently using. The ring on the bottom holds the puck up a bit so water drains off. I don't try to build lather on the puck, that never works for me, I just pick up soap in this mug and then face-lather (or maybe build lather in a bowl). Because it's heavy rubber it's practically unbreakable, and doesn't make clinking noises when you work a brush in it.

I have in the past used this mug as my lathering bowl, it works fine. In a pinch I've even used it to drink coffee (rinse it out first).

Excellent mug. My only complaint is I wish I could find a lid for it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)