What's new

Conair Hot Lather Machine

Item Description

Taken for what it is, this little machine is a solid product. If you keep in mind that nothing can compare to the lather you create in a bowl with a brush and if you don't have unrealistic expectations then you won't be disappointed. I'm a real simple guy and although I like the classic shaving experience I often reach for a brushless cream or canned creams because I don't always have the time to whip up some lather from scratch.

This machine does not produce HOT lather, it's just warm, which is not the best but it is miles and miles better than just applying cold cream to your face. Plus, for some reason I don't fully understand, the canned goo seems to leave my skin softer when it's warm.

The cream doesn't warm up a whole lot when the can is new, I suspect it has to do with the amount of cream the machine has to heat up. However, the more cream you use the warmer it gets and, after a couple of shaves, you will have nicely warmed lather.

I got this machine as a present about 5 years ago and it has served me well (and faithfully) since. Back then it was only 20 bucks, I haven't seen it at the stores recently but there is a newer model that works with both creams and gels (this one, the older model, is only for creams/foams). I believe the newer model retails for about 10 bucks these days. Sometimes it needs a wiping and cleaning and it looks like the day I got it. The cream warms up fairly fast and, quite honestly, it doesn't get any easier than this.

There are a few cons, which I will proceed to list:

1.- The cream is not HOT, it's just comfortably warm, which is not that big of a deal but it might disappoint you if you are expecting hot hot lather.

2.- The newer model has 2 interchangeable spouts so you can use foam or gel, this one can only be used with creams/foams.

3.- Installing the can is easy and quick, but you have to pry off the nozzle which might be dangerous. However, I have gone through many cans in 5 years and have not had a problem.

4.- The newer model has a temperature control dial, I don't know how well it works but it would have been a nice touch.

Bottomline: For the price, it is a nice little gadget for the busy man to have. It won't give you the same pleasure you might get from a brush and a scuttle but it does work surprisingly well those mornings you don't have the time or will to make lather from a soap.

Mine still works great and I don't expect to replace it anytime soon. Once it breaks I will probably buy the newer model that can be used wit both foam and gel, I can't comment on how well the newer one works but I suspect it might be on par with this one.

Latest reviews

I inherited one of these from my father-in-law. It's probably in the 10-15 yo range.

I was using this on and off before discovering the brush and DE shaving. I think the trick to getting hot lather was expelling the lather very slowly. Sometimes it was too hot for my hand! Expelling quickly resulted in warm lather. Either way, much better than straight out of the can cold.

Note: The hotter the lather, the less foamy it was. The heat broke it down somewhat. Still usable though. And MUCH cheaper than a Lather King for just about the same experience. After reading the glowing reviews of canned Barbasol, I'm tempted to break it out again.

Haven't used it since the brush came online, but I remember the Lather Machine fondly. Recommended.

Steve
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
3.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)
Taken for what it is, this little machine is a solid product. If you keep in mind that nothing can compare to the lather you create in a bowl with a brush and if you don't have unrealistic expectations then you won't be disappointed. I'm a real simple guy and although I like the classic shaving experience I often reach for a brushless cream or canned creams because I don't always have the time to whip up some lather from scratch.

This machine does not produce HOT lather, it's just warm, which is not the best but it is miles and miles better than just applying cold cream to your face. Plus, for some reason I don't fully understand, the canned goo seems to leave my skin softer when it's warm.

The cream doesn't warm up a whole lot when the can is new, I suspect it has to do with the amount of cream the machine has to heat up. However, the more cream you use the warmer it gets and, after a couple of shaves, you will have nicely warmed lather.

I got this machine as a present about 5 years ago and it has served me well (and faithfully) since. Back then it was only 20 bucks, I haven't seen it at the stores recently but there is a newer model that works with both creams and gels (this one, the older model, is only for creams/foams). I believe the newer model retails for about 10 bucks these days. Sometimes it needs a wiping and cleaning and it looks like the day I got it. The cream warms up fairly fast and, quite honestly, it doesn't get any easier than this.

There are a few cons, which I will proceed to list:

1.- The cream is not HOT, it's just comfortably warm, which is not that big of a deal but it might disappoint you if you are expecting hot hot lather.

2.- The newer model has 2 interchangeable spouts so you can use foam or gel, this one can only be used with creams/foams.

3.- Installing the can is easy and quick, but you have to pry off the nozzle which might be dangerous. However, I have gone through many cans in 5 years and have not had a problem.

4.- The newer model has a temperature control dial, I don't know how well it works but it would have been a nice touch.

Bottomline: For the price, it is a nice little gadget for the busy man to have. It won't give you the same pleasure you might get from a brush and a scuttle but it does work surprisingly well those mornings you don't have the time or will to make lather from a soap.

Mine still works great and I don't expect to replace it anytime soon. Once it breaks I will probably buy the newer model that can be used wit both foam and gel, I can't comment on how well the newer one works but I suspect it might be on par with this one.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)