What's new

Schick Hydro 3

Item Description

I have used a DE as my primary shaver and kept a cartridge razor in a drawer for those times when in a hurry. Recently, I made the mistake of trying a fusion and, in my opinion, it's the worst razor ever made. I haven't had a great experience with cartridge razors and thought I'd just not shave when in a hurry, but I have to admit I saw the Hydro and was curious about the gel reservoir thing and though I'd try it before saying good bye to cartridges for good.

I bought the 3 blade one because I think 5 blades is just too much and I'm glad I tried this razor, it has given me the most comfortable shaves ever. Give it an honest shot, it might not disappoint you. Here is a summary of my thoughts about the razor.

Price: Paid 8 USD for the razor, which comes with 2 cartridges, definetely won't break your bank if you decide to give it a shot. If it's not for you then it was just 8 bucks, it would suck but I'm sure some have made more expensive mistakes. a 4 pack of cartridges is 8 USD, again not bad at all considering the price of Fusion cartridges. Plus, the fact that each cartridge lasts me 2 weeks makes it a pretty sweet deal. It might not last you as long if you have a very heavy beard though.

Quality: As far as built quality, it's appropriate for this sort of thing, well made for what it is. The quality of the actual shave is, in my opinion, top notch. First, I have to say having extra lube does make a huge difference. The razor normally glides and I can get a very very comfortable shave against the grain, which is not something I can do with any other razor. I shaved against the grain for 5 days in a row and the shaves were good, no irritation.

User friendly: it's a cartridge razor

Grip: good, what else?

Ease of blade replacement: As easy and quick as any other.

Aggressivenes: This razor is not as aggressive due to the blade guards. You can get a close shave but the blade guards make it so that the blades aren't scraping your skin. You could probably get a closer shave with other razors but I find the Hydro to be a nice balance between closeness and comfort.

I know most people here aren't all that interested in cartridge razors, and I can see why. I do think, however, that this is an actual improvement over previous cartridge razors and it worked for me like no other razor. Will it work for you? I don't know, but for 8 bucks it might be worth trying.

Latest reviews

Pros: cheaper blades than Mach III and superior shave
Cons: cartridges still pricey compared to DE
I've used Mach III for years (dabbles with other schick cartridges over last 20 yrs & found them horrible), then onto Merkur HD & Slant, & ordered Feather AS.
I dabble in cartridges occasionally for convenience.
In my experience this is the best cartridge razor available!

Some explanations of scores :-
Price - cheap to buy but the usual premium price of cartridges lowers the score, but at least they are about 30% cheaper than Mach III

Quality - good for a rubbery, cheap razor
User friendly :- would have put 10 here but I did find the curvy shaped handle a little more awkward than Mach III

Grip - very good rubber handle

Ease of blade replacement - for me not quite as easy as Mach III, but OK

Agressive? - a mild shaver, but I decided make the comparison with a DE a bit more fair by pretending it was a DE - i.e. brush, soap, down with the grain, relather ATG (instead of my usual single lather multi-directions with the Mach III in the shower). What I found was an amazing baby smooth result (as smooth as my Slant gives) without any nicks or irritation.
I deliberately kept shaving with the blade daily until its performance became difficult ... I got 4 weeks out it! This means, for me, 2 weeks of pretty reliable shaving.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I have tried this razor with Tabac, VDH, and Edge goo and found it to be the most comfortable shaver I have tried.

It does seem to leave some straggler hairs on my neck, as do all cartridge blades. It may be that I have not learned a good method to deal with them as I have with the DE razor.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
I have to say that this razor is far superior to previous Schick products. I have used both the 3 and 5 blade versions over the last couple of months.

Price - This is just around 10 dollars in Canada. The price seems to be inching upward so time will tell if this changes.

Quality - Feels good and weighty in the hand, provides feedback with each stroke with a clicking sound. Seems well made, but plastic can only be so durable.

User Friendly - The easiest manual razor there is to use, IMO. I have not had an easier shave with a razor and the razor is extremely forgiving.

Grip - Great rubber grip on handle. I have not had any issues.

Ease of blade replacement - I always prefer Gillette cartridges in this regard, as I find the snapping-into-place satisfying on the Fusion and Mach 3, but this is a bit more finicky. Not bad, but not great.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)