What's new

Caswell-Massey 1752 Almond Pre-Shave Oil

Item Description

Maybe I'm totally missing the point of this product, but I think it's terrible. I picked up a 2 oz. bottle from the C-W one-day sale on a whim... sadly, I don't think they could pay me to use this stuff anymore.

The scent is average. The almond is what I'd describe as "sharp": not sweet, not overwhelming, but nutty and oily. You can almost smell the long-chain hydrocarbons in this. If you've ever taken a big whiff of cooking oil, that the context in which you get the almond...

...and that's exactly how it feels on your face. Oily. Majorly oily. Downright greasy. Its really like spilling (cold) cooking oil on your skin -- gross feeling and impossible to get off. As for lubrication, I can't really tell -- I've used it 3 times, with Taylors Almond, Trumper Almond, and Harris Almond, and got good-but-not-amazing shaves. About what I've had every other time I've used those respective creams. I don't really think the pre-shave adds anything besides a really greasy feeling.

Moisturizing? Hardly. Unless you consider oily to equal moist. This stuff seemed to make me dry out pretty fast, even after using creams that usually leave my face pretty happy in the moisture department.

Verdict: Not a fan. Not at all. Now 'scuse me while I fry up this almond-crusted tilapia.

Vitals:
Price: $9
Size: 2oz
Ingredients: Castor oil, Olive oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Chamomile Oil, Rosemary Oil, Sage Oil, BHA, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Benzaldehyde (Parfum)
"Does not contain animal ingredients, not tested on animals."
"Made in USA"

proxy.php

Latest reviews

Sorry to disagree with the naysayers but I have been using this stuff for at least four years and love it. It is not overly oily and washes off the hands easily. It is absorbed into the skin and protects the face for the shave to come. The scent is, to me, wonderful (a strong suit of Caswell-Massey), and does not last long enough to clash with the shave soap/cream I am using that day. My soaps and creams lather up beautifully (though I admit I am generally a bowl latherer) and do not deteriorate when applied to my face. Lest you think I am a Caswell-Massey fan in general, I do not particularly care for their shave soaps/creams. Quality wise and efficacy wise, this product is a winner. The only downside is the price (as with most upscale pre-shave oils). $12.00 (or even $9.00) is a ludicrous amount to pay for only 2 oz. of a product like this.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
I got this oil, just like many guys, as part of the package available at TJ Maxx. I have found the entire package a waste of money. The Oil is thick and sticky, not lubricating. The odor is less than pleasant. I really thought of rancid oil when I smelled this stuff.

Yes, it does cause water to bead up on the face, but so would Turtle Wax. The packaging rates low for me, as I prefer a dispenser or dropper for oil. WAY too much pours out of this bottle. I had to scrub my hands before shaving to prevent the razor from sliding out of my hand.

As for the other Casswell products.... the shave cream stinks, it lathers NOT at all. The aftershave balm is nice and creamy, I love the consistency. However...woohoo it stings like an alum block that doesn't stop. I will continue to try it, but probably only after a "good shave" but never to heal a "rough shave."
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
I like everything about it except it leaves your face oily!
I mean the water beads up after my third pass.
It does make the blade glide easily,but it also cuts down on the lather.
I have only used it once but so far I like it but don't love it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)