What's new

Simpson Case -- Best Badger (C1)

Item Description

Price: Picked up for a steal from Lee at LeesRazors.com. He even threw in the travel tube. Very, very pleased with the price. (I got it considerably cheaper than the ~$50 list, but it was an unpublished price, so you'll have to ask Lee for the same deal personally)

Quality: I docked the brush 2 points for losing the damn label after being used 3 times (and during this review!). The gold label that says "Simpsons - Made in England - Sterilized" appears stuck on in a fashion similar to how you put decals on a plastic model kit as a kid. Underneath, it says Simpson in bold letters similar to the ones in which the style and badger grade are stamped. Here's hoping that hangs around for a little while. Regardless, I don't mind how it looks without the little label, in fact, I kind of like it. I'd have bought it anyway. And there's another label on the travel tube. Otherwise, the brush screams quality, as you'd expect with the acclaimed Simpson line.

Density: This is a really small brush, as you can see. I don't know how they packed so much badger in such a small space. The density feels great, but it doesn't really "bloom." See the pics for a comparison with my other C&E best badger. The higher density is obvious.

Stiffness/Softness: This brush is stiff and soft in all the right places. I find it a little stiff towards the center, and nice and soft on the periphery. Just how I like it. Not floppy, of course, because the loft is so short, but a great balance between soft enough to feel a tad luxurious (even for a small brush), and stiff enough to massage your face and provide a little exfoliation with your lather.

Ergonomics: Eh, it's a small brush. And if you hold your brush like I do, the label will probably come off because that's where your fingers are. The ridge and ribs toward the bottom provide a nice placement guide for a curled ring or middle finger. Otherwise, this brush has all the pros and cons of a small brush. The weight feels great -- very solid and well-balanced.

Latherability: But this little sucker lathers like a hog. I wanted a small brush to use as a travel unit, as well as something small enough I could use for lathering directly in my small Moss Scuttle. See the pics for how well the brush fits, and how much room you get to swirl it around. People complain about how difficult it is to really get a good lather in the large Moss Scuttle, but I did quite well in the small version with my Case mini monster. The cream used in the photographs is Taylor's Almond, and as you can see, the brush sucks it up like a champ with plenty left to spare. It only took one test drive with the Case to alleviate my concerns about the lather. You also get the clear advantage of enhanced maneuverability and exfoliation once you bring it to your face.

Verdict: Charming little brush for home and travel.

Vitals:
Label: Simpson - Made in England - Sterilized (for when it stays on)
Stamping: Case, Best Badger ("Simpson" in large block slant underneath label)

Size:
Overall height: 8.4cm
Height of handle: 4.2cm
Width of handle: 3.1cm (base), 2.7 cm (narrow spot), 3.0cm (thick spot towards knot)
Width of bristles at base (knot): 1.8cm
Height of bristles: 4.2cm
Width of "bloomed" bristles: 5.5cm

Photos:
proxy.php

Next to the C&E Best Badger and my last paycheck

proxy.php

Top view of bristles (left, Simpson Case, Right C&E Best Badger)

proxy.php

Comparison (Left, Simpson Case; Right, C&E Best Badger)

proxy.php

A badger in the hand is worth two in the bush

proxy.php

Wet badger I

proxy.php

Wet Badger II

proxy.php

Simpson Case in empty small Moss Scuttle

proxy.php

~20 swirls in the scuttle after adding some Taylor's Almond

proxy.php

Taylor's all good-and-ready, lathered only in the scuttle

proxy.php

Loaded brush. The beginnings of label loss is evident. :frown:

proxy.php

Top of the loaded brush, and the scuttled leftovers

proxy.php

Squeeze your badger!

proxy.php

Bloomed brush, immediately after use and label loss, next to the handy travel tube :redface:

Latest reviews

....but for me definitely not for everyday use.

I bought this brush specifically for a week long vacation over Thanksgiving, and after attempting the "cheap" route. After receiving many suggestions from the B&B fellowship, I decided to purchase the Body Shop synthetic ($9) which I found passable but not "good enough". I then bought an even cheaper boar at the Walgreens, which I absolutely hated and tossed into the trash before even finishing my first lather.

In despair, I decided to break down and buy the Simpson Case, and what a difference! Here's my expanded break down:
Price I'm dinging the brush on price, albeit admittedly unfairly. I bought the brush at Merz Apothecary for $55.00 (after tax). I know it's cheaper online, but time was critical. I don't know enough about brushes to say whether $50.00+ is too much for a brush of this size and caliber, but by way of comparison, my Edwin Jagger Medium Best (which I purchased last Friday and received on Tuesday) cost $44.00 on westcoast, which, coincidentally, is the same price they charge for the Case.
bottom line on the price: Way more than I wanted to spend for a travel brush.

Quality I only used the brush for 10 days. It broke in quickly. It did shed a few hairs on the first day, but I would expect any brush to do that. After that, no problem. The only brush I can compare it to is my Edwin Jagger Silver Tip which is 5 years old and part of the family. That said, this little Case holds plenty of water, feels fine on the skin, and seems very well constructed. I know others have mentioned the name coming off of the handle, but I can't comment on that after my limited use.

Density Very dense bristles for such a small brush. I give it a 10. I've seen larger brushes that I assume have more bristles but are far less dense.

Bristles I'm giving this brush 9s for softness and stiffness. Again, I have to point out that I can only compare it to my silvertip. The brush feels just about right when lathering. There was no prickliness to the bristles, even on the first shave.

Ergonomic Unfortunately, using this brush aggravates my arthritis (in my latherin' wrist. I believe the small size of the handle is problematic for me. People with smaller hands and healthy fingers/wrists may like the ergonomics more than me.

Latherability Meh. It seemed to build lather ok, but does not hold much of the lather. I found that I had to swirl the brush in my lathering bowl fairly often. Again, the size was probably a factor.

Bottom line: I like this brush for traveling, and look forward to not having to resort to brushless application during my future travels, but the brush, for me is too small for everyday use.

*This is my first review on these boards. I appreciate any feedback.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Price: Picked up for a steal from Lee at LeesRazors.com. He even threw in the travel tube. Very, very pleased with the price. (I got it considerably cheaper than the ~$50 list, but it was an unpublished price, so you'll have to ask Lee for the same deal personally)

Quality: I docked the brush 2 points for losing the damn label after being used 3 times (and during this review!). The gold label that says "Simpsons - Made in England - Sterilized" appears stuck on in a fashion similar to how you put decals on a plastic model kit as a kid. Underneath, it says Simpson in bold letters similar to the ones in which the style and badger grade are stamped. Here's hoping that hangs around for a little while. Regardless, I don't mind how it looks without the little label, in fact, I kind of like it. I'd have bought it anyway. And there's another label on the travel tube. Otherwise, the brush screams quality, as you'd expect with the acclaimed Simpson line.

Density: This is a really small brush, as you can see. I don't know how they packed so much badger in such a small space. The density feels great, but it doesn't really "bloom." See the pics for a comparison with my other C&E best badger. The higher density is obvious.

Stiffness/Softness: This brush is stiff and soft in all the right places. I find it a little stiff towards the center, and nice and soft on the periphery. Just how I like it. Not floppy, of course, because the loft is so short, but a great balance between soft enough to feel a tad luxurious (even for a small brush), and stiff enough to massage your face and provide a little exfoliation with your lather.

Ergonomics: Eh, it's a small brush. And if you hold your brush like I do, the label will probably come off because that's where your fingers are. The ridge and ribs toward the bottom provide a nice placement guide for a curled ring or middle finger. Otherwise, this brush has all the pros and cons of a small brush. The weight feels great -- very solid and well-balanced.

Latherability: But this little sucker lathers like a hog. I wanted a small brush to use as a travel unit, as well as something small enough I could use for lathering directly in my small Moss Scuttle. See the pics for how well the brush fits, and how much room you get to swirl it around. People complain about how difficult it is to really get a good lather in the large Moss Scuttle, but I did quite well in the small version with my Case mini monster. The cream used in the photographs is Taylor's Almond, and as you can see, the brush sucks it up like a champ with plenty left to spare. It only took one test drive with the Case to alleviate my concerns about the lather. You also get the clear advantage of enhanced maneuverability and exfoliation once you bring it to your face.

Verdict: Charming little brush for home and travel.

Vitals:
Label: Simpson - Made in England - Sterilized (for when it stays on)
Stamping: Case, Best Badger ("Simpson" in large block slant underneath label)

Size:
Overall height: 8.4cm
Height of handle: 4.2cm
Width of handle: 3.1cm (base), 2.7 cm (narrow spot), 3.0cm (thick spot towards knot)
Width of bristles at base (knot): 1.8cm
Height of bristles: 4.2cm
Width of "bloomed" bristles: 5.5cm

Photos:
proxy.php

Next to the C&E Best Badger and my last paycheck

proxy.php

Top view of bristles (left, Simpson Case, Right C&E Best Badger)

proxy.php

Comparison (Left, Simpson Case; Right, C&E Best Badger)

proxy.php

A badger in the hand is worth two in the bush

proxy.php

Wet badger I

proxy.php

Wet Badger II

proxy.php

Simpson Case in empty small Moss Scuttle

proxy.php

~20 swirls in the scuttle after adding some Taylor's Almond

proxy.php

Taylor's all good-and-ready, lathered only in the scuttle

proxy.php

Loaded brush. The beginnings of label loss is evident. :frown:

proxy.php

Top of the loaded brush, and the scuttled leftovers

proxy.php

Squeeze your badger!

proxy.php

Bloomed brush, immediately after use and label loss, next to the handy travel tube :redface:

Item information

Added by
castlecraver
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Shaving Brushes (Reviews)

More from castlecraver

Top Bottom