What's new

Trumper's Rose

Item Description

Price: $16/2.5oz tube, $29/6.7oz tub. More expensive than Taylors, not quite as much as T&H.

Quality: I've been continually impressed with the quality of Trumper's creams. The packaging is quality, as is what's contained within. The cream isn't too runny, well formulated, and does the job well. No complaints.

Scent: Olfactory delight. If you like Trumper's Violet, you'll like Trumper's Rose. I've found the Trumper's to be sweeter and stronger than some, particularly the T&H floral scents. Some people don't like it, but I find it particularly nice. The scent is definitely flowery, but not like a funeral. It's more of a sweet rose, without any of the powdery smell. Imagine the Coral Skin Food, without the glycerin-y undertone.

Latherability: Trumper's Rose has always given me a "soft" lather... almost borderline wet. Its not as thick as some other brands, but its still satisfying to me. The rosepetal scent fits in well with how it feels on your face. It also holds temperature well. The lather in the picture was produced with ~30 swirls by a medium sized brush in a large cereal bowl.

Efficacy: But this cream gets the job done. I get superlative shaves from Trumper's Rose. It's become #2 on my go-to list, behind Salter Citrus. I find it to shave close, lubricate pretty well, but not too glycerin-y or soapy. I'm always pleased with the performance of this cream.

Moisturizing: I love the way the Rose leaves my skin feeling. Soft, smooth, and clean. This stuff really makes my skin feel soft, and although I wouldn't necessarily describe the feeling as "moisturized," I love it. Just soft enough without being oily or too tender.

Packaging: I bought this cream in a tube, as the tubs don't fit as well in my medicine cabinet. This is the upside of spending a little more per oz. My evaluation is based on the thick foil tube with the quality, easy-to-open cap. The tube comes attractively boxed and looks very nice on its own.

Verdict: Great cream, worthy of a try. If you like Trumper's Violet (one of the more popular creams in wet-shavedom, to quote Scotto), you'll like Trumper's Rose. Overall, the whole experience with this cream from initial whiff to the final rinse gives me that awesome "pampered" feeling through and through.

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Perfume (fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 16035 (D&C Red #33)

Photos:
proxy.php

Above: Trumper's Rose, Tube

proxy.php

Above: "Almond-sized" squirt of cream

proxy.php

Above: 10 swirls with wet brush

proxy.php

Above: 20 Swirls with wet brush

proxy.php

Above: 30 swirls

proxy.php

Above: Loaded brush after ~30 swirls

proxy.php

Above: Requisite Lather-on-arm shot :biggrin:

Latest reviews

Pros: Great cream overall
Cons: A little pricey
This is the first cream I ever bought and boy am I glad it was! It really has the ideal consistency, a great rose scent (so relaxing) and good glide. The moisturizing isn't incredible but it's not bad either. This is the standard by which I judge all the other creams.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I was thoroughly underwhelmed with this cream. I have many top shelf products from other manufacturers so I am by no means put off by a high price, or expecting miracles. Yet, despite realistic expectations, I honestly find this cream lacking in every category. It does not provide much protection when shaving, it is fussy to lather, does not adequately moisturize the face (but doesn't dry it either), and it does not provide adequate lubrication for the blade to glide.

It was, in fact, a very mediocre product. I will not be purchasing it again.

Although the scent was heavenly, and I like the pink coloring, the actual work end of this cream was lacking in every single important respect. I enjoy shaving with Proraso infinitely more than this cream, and don't even get me started with DR. Harris soaps or MWF.

In my book a definite :thumbdown
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
The scent was a deal killer for me. I wanted to like this but the smell was very strong. Also, it did not lather near as well as my go-to TOBS avocado cream. Not sure this makes sense but the lather seemed to be thin even with very little water. I guess it was okay but certainly not great (for me).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)