Items by Alan1SC

Alan1SC
0.27 star(s) 15 ratings
Views
Reviews
A while back, in a search for a good pre-shave oil, I found this. I searched for a review here on B&B for it, but couldn't turn one up, which was surprising. If I missed one, please forgive me. When this came, and I looked at the tiny little bottle, I wondered what the heck I'd spent $30 for! On first examination, I figured it might last me a few weeks. But now, perhaps 6 weeks later, using it 2/3 of the time as my pre-shave, I was wrong. When ClassicShaving recommended using an amount...
I don't think this particular Shavemac has been reviewed yet. I ordered mine, a 25mm knot, standing 110mm tall, from VintageBlades.com, with their faux horn handle. I prefer knots in the 24 - 26mm sizing, as I don't whip lather on my face, and usually use creams. Some brushes in that knot size are fine for creams, but come up short (to me) when I switch to a cake soap. I hoped that this one would bridge the gap, as reviews of Shavemacs here and elsewhere have given them high marks in the...
I might be introducing some of you folks to a "new" custom brush maker, but I'm also sure that some of you know of Ed Schisler's brushes, and own some. I had to post this. My shaving guru, Ted, (stogieiv) was the one who first turned me on to Ed's brushes. I was all excited, waiting for a new Shavemac to come, and told Ted. He e-mailed me to say that Shavemacs are good and all, but that until I owned a brush from Ed, I wouldn't know the best. I really didn't fully believe him, (sorry, Ted!)...
This is my first strop from Tony, and was recommended to me by my friend Stogieiv. I went to his site, wanting this model, but in horsehide. I have an older Illinois horsehide strop, and another strop that's cowhide, and thought that if I was going to pay this kind of money, I might as well get the best, horsehide. I got an e-mail back from Tony, informing me that until further notice, he had no supply of horsehide, and recommended the Red Latigo model. Honest truth, guys, I was a little...
Alan1SC
1.00 star(s) 5 ratings
Views
Reviews
I'm curious as to whether you folks will agree with me on this razor. I ordered mine from VintageBlades, as it was hard to find this model. The pictures of it looked beautiful, with the circular swirls etched onto both sides of the blade, and I wondered if it would look as good when I got it. Man...the pictures didn't do this razor full justice. It's beautiful. The Micarta scales are thicker and also rounder than I've been used to, but they yield great purchase and are super comfortable. It...
Alan1SC
0.83 star(s) 6 ratings
Views
Reviews
Okay, this is an alcohol-based product, but for what it is, it works really well. There's the initial burn, then a nice cooling sensation. The initial hit of fragrance is really nice...citrusy and woody. Over time, as it settles out, what remains is - to me - a very pleasant scent. My fiance loves it too. It contains enough essential oils to smooth your skin, and the company says that it also contains herbs for healing and toning. As alcohol-based aftershaves go, this is one of my very...
Being somewhat new to the wonderful world of wet shaving, I've bought a few brushes, all of which had their strengths and weaknesses. One thing I found was that large knots, like a 30mm size, just seemed too unwieldy for me. I went on the ClassicShaving website, and spent a fair amount of time searching for that one brush that would offer the best of all worlds to me. Eventually, I selected the Vulfix 2234, and since it has come, I've decided that it's an amazingly good value. The handle...
Top Bottom