What's new

Vulfix 2234

this is my second brush. the first i had was the van der hagen boar brush. this brush is much softer and more luxurious than the boar. i agree with other reviews that say this is not a very dense brush and it is pretty floppy. however, i have used this brush with soaps and creams, and it works just fine with both. for the price, this is a great brush, but im sure there are much better brushes out there.
Dennis;371600 said:
This was my first shaving brush. I hate it. This brush is the definition of floppy: the loft is long, the badger hair has zero backbone. If you stick this brush under running water, the badger hairs will practically fall down to the handle. It feels like a wet mop on the face. The density on this brush is about nothing - it seems like they forgot to put the the other half of the badger hair in the knot. Everything, as I later learned, I dislike in a brush. The upsides? It is a quality brush, mine has not shed at all, handle feels great, and it is well made. It works better for creams than soaps but can work for either with much effort - you need to "support" the bristles by choking up on them and holding them at the base. You can do much better than this brush for a first one - the Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger for $35, and for a few bucks more practically any Saville Row.

When I wet the brush, the badger hair will splay out out to the sides very severely. I need a better picture than this old one. I stand by my comments.

I have to agree with Dennis on this. I don't think my brush could be any more floppy. If you are a face-latherer this brush is a terrible choice. For bowl lathering it is adequate. IMHO.
Price : I received this brush several months ago (no cost) from my brother who did not care for the way it lathered. I believe the cost is approimately $60 USD.

Quality: My brush is well made with no hair loss. Blooms fully when dry and is aescetically pleasing to the eye

Density: For where this falls in the Vulfix price lineup I suspect the density is where they intend it to be. While I prefer a brush with more density I would not categorize it as a "flopper".

Stiffness of Tips: Softest brush I own

Softness of Tips: Soft

Ergonomics: Easy to hold and manuever and I like the style

Latherability: Lathers up soaps/creams with no problem, takes just a tad more effort with soaps

Nothing to write home about however for my use it is a good, dependable all around brush and a regular part of my brush rotation.

dmpomeroy
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
This Vulfix holds a special place in my heart, as it was my first brush after the Tweezerman.

Price: IMHO, the price tag on this brush is one of the selling points. For $60, you're getting great quality that won't make you go broke.

Quality: I was really impressed with the quality feel of this brush. It feels like it is very well made (which it is), and I've noticed very little hair loss after an initial "break in" period that lasted about a week.

Density: I don't have much to compare it to, but I do wish the hair was more densely packed. That said, the hair isn't exactly thin, but it could be packed tighter.

Stiffness/Softness: This is always a tricky evaluation point, and it will depend largely on brushes you have used in the past. When compared to the Tweezerman, the tips on this brush are extremely soft. However, they are stiff enough that I can use it with soaps, and I get a nice scrubby feeling on my face when I'm lathering.

Ergonomic: Not much to be said here...the brush fits nicely in your hands with no issues.

Latherability: This, in my mind, is where the Vulfix 2234 really shines. When I first got it, I was using creams pretty much every day. Because I was using a cheaper brush, I was using a lot more cream than I should, and this became evident when the Vulfix whipped up about 6 times more lather than I needed for a shave. The same is true with soaps...I generally have no problem producing heaps of lather with this thing.

Bottom line...is it the best brush in the world? For me, right now, yes. Is it great for everyone? Of course not. As always, YMMV. If you're in the position where you want to upgrade from a cheap badger or boar brush, this very well may be the perfect brush for you. I can see myself upgrading to a Simpson or a Shavemac in the future, but for now I look forward to the Vulfix every morning and I am rarely disappointed.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I have a Vulfix 2285 and I love it. I use mostly Trumper creams and a floppy brush works perfectly with them. What I like best about my Vulfix is that when I softly brush the warm lather on my face it feels like the gentle caress of a gorgeous woman who is wholy enchanted with the pleasure of pleasing me.

My Shavemac 220 and Rooney Stubby are more like going to an amusement park. They do the job but I do not get the same feeling of love with them. My Vulfix is getting a bit old now so I think I will order another just so I don't wake up some morning with the feeling I am alone. And by the way, none of those brushes lost any significant amounts of hair. They are all excellent in their respective ways.
D
This is my second brush. My first was a Col. Conk Pure Badger, so that is my benchmark brush. The Col. Conk Pure Badger brush was too harsh on my face. I needed something with softer tips so I went with the 2234. It's been a couple weeks now and I am very happy with the brush. It's soft enough for my wussy skin. It's shed maybe 2 hairs so far. I have no complaints with the 2234.

I've read concerns with the 2234's density and floppiness. It is noticeably floppier than my Col. Conk Pure Badger brush and it appears to be less dense too. But...it creates a lot more lather faster than the Col. Conk brush (I use Proraso cream). The 2234 is a substantial step up.

I originally intended to buy the Shavemac Finest Badger 2 but I just couldn't get over paying the $16 shipping rate for a $58 brush. So the Shavemac will have to wait until I upgrade to a Silver Tip.
This was my first shaving brush. I hate it. This brush is the definition of floppy: the loft is long, the badger hair has zero backbone. If you stick this brush under running water, the badger hairs will practically fall down to the handle. It feels like a wet mop on the face. The density on this brush is about nothing - it seems like they forgot to put the the other half of the badger hair in the knot. Everything, as I later learned, I dislike in a brush. The upsides? It is a quality brush, mine has not shed at all, handle feels great, and it is well made. It works better for creams than soaps but can work for either with much effort - you need to "support" the bristles by choking up on them and holding them at the base. You can do much better than this brush for a first one - the Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger for $35, and for a few bucks more practically any Saville Row.

Alan1SC;382724 said:
Dennis, you exaggerated a tad, saying that it's so floppy that the bristles fall down on the handle. Not even close.

When I wet the brush, the badger hair will splay out out to the sides very severely. I need a better picture than this old one. I stand by my comments.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
A fairly floppy brush, but still works with soaps and creams. This is a good brush, as I used one for over fours years. Moving up to a Shavemac 177 for $40 more is a great alternative.

A decent brush that will not win any awards, but will work well for years. Overall I would rate this brush as a 5 out of 10. I would say after using one daily for 4 years, that I have some experience with it. :biggrin:
Being somewhat new to the wonderful world of wet shaving, I've bought a few brushes, all of which had their strengths and weaknesses. One thing I found was that large knots, like a 30mm size, just seemed too unwieldy for me. I went on the ClassicShaving website, and spent a fair amount of time searching for that one brush that would offer the best of all worlds to me. Eventually, I selected the Vulfix 2234, and since it has come, I've decided that it's an amazingly good value. The handle, formed of faux ivory and lathe-turned, is beautifully made and very ergonomically friendly. It stands 50mm high; as do the Super Badger bristles. The total height of 100mm makes it long enough to reach nicely into any shaving bowl/scuttle, yet it remains very manageable. I was a little worried about the 22mm knot width, but have come to love it. This brush holds moisture beautifully, lathers better than any brush I've owned yet, and holds its shape very well. All in all, for around $60, this is an extraordinary value.

Thanks for the comments, fellows. And yes, I will agree - this isn't exactly a stiff brush. But that's one of the very reasons why I bought it, and love it. Having said that, this morning, I used a Shavemac 22579, which I'll use for certain of my creams that require a stiffer brush. Today, for instance, I used Castle and Forbes Lavender, which has the thickest viscosity of any creams that I own. I wouldn't try the Vulfix on that. As well, for those of you who like to whip lather up on your face, no - this isn't the brush for that. But, on days when I feel like using Taylor's Lemon and Lime cream, this #2234 is pure luxury to whip that in a bowl, and to apply. Dennis, you exaggerated a tad, saying that it's so floppy that the bristles fall down on the handle. Not even close. But, this has its place and my review stands. I have other Vulfix brushes that are stiffer, and I own other brushes that aren't as stiff as this one is. Thanks, though - I'll have to try a Crabtree and Evelyn brush one day.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)