What's new

1930 NEW style open comb

Pros: nice weight
Cons: short handle
A nice razor, not too aggressive for an open comb. I don't like the short handled Gillettes very much and this was the same length as a tech. They are always weighted nicely and have a good balance. A very good razor for the price.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: simple design, positive feel
Cons: I can't think of any
I own many razors and stopped using them all after I first used my New. I get a very controlled shave. Especially since I learned to use it on the different areas of my neck and face. I can honestly say that this is the only DE in my rotation.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Simple; mild but efficient
Cons: tarnished, thin handle
I was lucky to snag a nicer than expected razor on Etsy. For an old razoe it's in pretty good shape and I like it enough that I may get it replated and swap in a meatier handle. I find it mild, but efficient. With an average blade like an Astra it's pretty much bulletproof for me, but with a Feather I can have some problems if I get sloppy. It's not as pretty as my Ikon OC, but it shaves just as well if not better.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Classic, unique, aggressive
Cons: Very old, can clog with hair.
I inherited two of these from my great-grandfather, both of the hollow shaft variety. I started out with an open comb, long handled Merkur (forget the model number). I was a very good razor and forgiving. Then I started using The NEW and found that I could get a closer shave in fewer passes without any irritation. Then I switched from Feather to Astra blades and found my ideal combination. If I'm careless, I can get weepers on the back of the neck, but other than that it's a very good combination of aggressiveness and smoothness. I find that where the Merkur was vague feeling and not aggressive enough, the Gillette NEW is precise and lets you know exactly what's going on during your shave. I dropped one on the floor, and one of the teeth bent inwards. I tried to bend it back, but it proved too difficult. This doesn't effect the shave in any way, but it does show the softness of the metal used to make the head, which is probably brass. Some of the finish has worn off, but once again no effect on the shave. I'll use this razor for the rest of my life. I still have another one on reserve at my parent's house if my apartment should burn down again. Take that Gillette.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have been shaving with a lighter version (47g) with a hollow smaller handle. Amazing that even after all these years it still works like a charm. Aggressive yet light shaving performance have not received any nicks so far (fingers crossed). If you are engaged in manual labor and have to maintain the functionality of your wrists for long periods of time this would be a great thing to have in the cupboard.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth and effective
Cons: Vintage, not adjustable
I was looking for another razor in my closet and found this English Empire set. Decided to try it again.
I was pleasantly surprised. With a Thai Super Thin blade I had a very good shave. The shave was very smooth, and effective. 4 hours after the shave I can not feel any stubble, which means the shave will easily last 6 hours. Which makes it a good/very good razor in my book. Balance and weight are fine (I have the solid handle), changing blades is as easy as with any other 3 piece razor. After some 80 years this razor still looks like new. For me it is clear: when it comes to DE shaving I will stick with vintage :thumbup:. Recommended.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Outstanding shaver and good appearance
Cons: None
The Gillette NEW is a highly recommend vintage razor from the Great Depression years of the 1930's. It was manufactured in 1929-1940. If using a super sharp blade such as a Feather, one might receive an occasional nick or weeper. But paired with a slightly milder blade, the shaves are outstanding with my moderately coarse beard. My razor has the more common and slightly thicker hollow handle, which I prefer. The engineering and the build quality of the Gillette NEW are remarkable.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)