What's new

Reloading 32-20

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Ideally, the OP should buy a much better cast iron frame press, but if unable or unwilling to pay up for one, then so be it. The beginning premise of the OP was how inexpensively he could get into reloading. At least we got away from a hand held press.

The Lee hand press is IMO, no good at all for anything other than straight wall handgun cartridges. Yes, I do own one, and have used it quite a bit for resizing/depriming handgun brass or expanding case mouths. I have used it to load test ammo at the range once or twice. Lyman used to make a hand press that could also be bench mounted....it was a much sturdier tool. Sadly, it was discontinued. Huntington's used to carry another brand of hand press similar to the Lyman, but it cost as much or more as some of the more expensive bench mount single stages. I couldn't find it on their website a minute ago, so it may also be discontinued.

For a quick to put away solution, Lee(and I'm not recommending buying it) has a slide in and lock quick mount system. It would be very easy to duplicate yourself. I've also seen a lot of guys with small spaces mount their stuff on a rolling toolbox. They roll it out when they want to load, then roll it back into a closet when they are done.

Redding #5 Powder Trickler - MPN: 05000

Best manual trickler on the market and not much more expensive than the cheapest.

Lyman Electronic Scale Powder Funnel Pan - MPN: 7752433

Must have for use of above with any scale, IMHO.

Hornady G2-1500 Electronic Powder Scale 1500 Grain - MPN: 050106

I cannot attest to the quality or longevity of this scale, but at this price, it's probably worth considering if your budget is really tight.

I started reloading back in 1963. I got a Redding single stage press and one of the little oil dampened power scales. I was loading 30-06 only so speed was not a big concern. I wanted to adjust charges in the pan easier than trying to add or remove a few grains at a time, so made a powder trickler myself. I took a piece of copper tubing with flanged end for a compression fitting, with the female fitting and soldered it all together on a 2x2x 1/8 steel plate. I drilled a hole at angle through the copper tube for a piece of brass rod or heavy walled tube, cannot remember, then filed a slot so I had 2-3 inches on each side of the slot. Then on one end soldered an old acorn nut for a handle to grip better and finally took an old spring and adjusted the length and soldered it against toe acorn nut( this was simply a space to keep the slot inside the copper tube when all assembled. It works fine and I am still using it 55 years later and have never seen the need to purchase a commercial mode.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While it is true that one may not "need" a well made trickler and all sorts of improvised methods can be rigged by those who are handy and so inclined, The Redding works well, looks good and has sufficient weight to "stay put" during use. I have certainly improvised all sorts of gadgets and means of doing things reloading related and amateur gunsmithing over the years. My reloading benches are cluttered, but now I'm at a point where they are cluttered with more gadgets that are nicer in quality than they are with homespun expediencies. But the latter still abounds!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
…. I've also seen a lot of guys with small spaces mount their stuff on a rolling toolbox. They roll it out when they want to load, then roll it back into a closet when they are done.

This is certainly a viable option worthy of a solid, well made, cast iron press for those with limited space. I don't know if the OP is willing or able to make that kind of investment.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@PhillyB , yes, that would be far superior to the flimsy Lee alternatives. The heavier the press, the better.This is also something that you could keep as a second press if in the future you decide that you want something bigger/more sophisticated down the line. In general, it is a false economy to scrimp on reloading equipment unless there is absolutely no alternative. Buy the best that you can afford and it can last a lifetime. If and when you start to reload rifle cartridges, you will appreciate a heavy press with better leverage. Lightweight flimsy equipment becomes tiresome and frustrating very quickly, even if it works initially. I mentioned mounting a press to a board that you could C-clamp to a table or countertop for temporary use. That may or may not work for you. As @machinisttx mentioned, a rolling tool box would be a great option for an apartment dweller. It would give you storage for all of your reloading supplies and come moving day, every thing is already packed up.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Read the customer reviews on Midway as you consider what to buy, you may end up talking yourself into buying better equipment, making a better investment.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Philly, when I began researching 32-20 dies, I kept hearing/reading good things about Lyman’s 3-die set (& specifically, their 2-step neck expander M die, which is very friendly to those thin 32-20 necks & equates to more reloads) & RCBS’s Cowboy 3-die set. I went with the former & have been happy with them.

Regarding brass, as mentioned, it’s tough to beat Starline, whose 32-20 necks are slightly stouter than others.

While I like & use Beartooth & Montana Bullet Works offerings, my go-to 32-20 bullets are Acme’s RNFP, Hi-Tek-coated 115 grainers ... they perform well & at $8.50 per 100/$34.00 per 500, are priced right.
Acme link: 32-20

Regarding powder, definitely adhere to those listed in your chosen reloading manuals ... that said, I use Trail Boss (get a trickler!) for my softer S&W 3rd-change Hand Ejector loads & Hodgdon HP-38 for my warmer Colt Army Special loads.

BTW, that is one fine-looking 4th-change 32-20 Hand Ejector you have!

Ok, update! I got myself a press at the local gun store, and secured space in my dad's workshop in the garage.

Thoughts on my new acquisition?
IMG_20190105_133219281.jpg
IMG_20190105_133538715.jpg

Also, turns out I managed to snag a few things from my grandpa's house before it went to auction after he passed.
IMG_20190105_150437081.jpg
IMG_20190105_150046995.jpg
IMG_20190105_143540740.jpg

I will second the Lyman "M" dies. They are a very worthwhile investment, especially for loading cast bullets. I have several of them.

The Lee Perfect Powder measure is one of the very few things they make that I like. The one I have is more consistent than the much more expensive RCBS Uniflow which I also have. The singular downside I have seen with the Lee measure is that it is absolutely terrible with ball/spherical powder. The grains get between the drum and the stand...and then it becomes nearly impossible to turn. Otherwise, it is an excellent bit of gear at a very good price.

I doubt that it is handmade, I remember seeing pictures/advertisements of similar presses back in the 70's. I think it is an old CH press. I prefer the newer types like the Lyman shown earlier, or the RCBS Rock Chucker types, that offer compound leaverage, which makes resizing much easer. On my old c press which had leaverage similar to that one if you got a case that needed a lot of sizing, the force required could be significant. Can you prime on that press if not you will need a priming tool.

The M die is a necessity for loading cast bullets, it bells the case mouth just a little so the bullet can be seated without shaving lead.

That powder measure is one of the better "mass produced"models, there are some out there such as the Harrel measures that are much more accurate and consistent, but are needed only if you are into precision shooting such as bench rest matches, and you would not be using a 32-20 for that. Loading for most pistol calibers, especially smaller ones, and include 32-20 in that category and especially if you are using fast burning powders you should have a pistol metering chamber for the measure, as compared to the larger rifle/universal metering chamber. The only difference is the diameter of the chamber, allowing for much greater accuracy when adjusting for small charges.

Never used the Lee dies, so cannot comment on those. and have no idea if that priming unit will work on that press, reading their description it probably will.

The scale is a good basic scale, nothing fancy. I also have a larger RCBS 1010 scale, I got mainly because all the parts, pan beam ect store in the base and are covered when not in use. You do want to keep the scale very clean for accurate results.

@jkingrph I'd never seen this press type before, but that is definitely the same design type. However, there are no manufacturers markings anywhere on the press and when you get up close there's very obvious machine marks. No paint, kinda sharp edges, and a flat bottom base with little to no finish work. Hence my "probably hand made" statement.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is a case trimmer. It is probably going to be a must have, especially if you use the M dies. Keeping the cases the same length will prevent the cases from buckling due to excess crimp, and in the use of the M die, prevents too much flare from being applied.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on getting a pistol metering chamber for the RCBS Powder Measure. There is also the option of using a micrometer adjustment screw. NOTE there are different models depending on when your measure was made. Yours looks NIB, but you would have to determine which will fit it.
RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure Micrometer Adjustment Screw - MPN: 98902
Will make life easier for sure. An option to getting a case trimmer would be a trim die for each bottle neck cartridge caliber, use with a file and then de-burr with a de-burring tool. There's always something else to buy, eventually.

Top Bottom