What's new

How to lose a customer for $32

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The most logical response is to buy a 30 Super Carry chambered firearm.

I mistakenly bought a bunch of .22 Shorts a while back. Only firearm I had was a Rem 597, will not shoot the shorts. I didn’t even consider returning them because for 1) I knew I couldn’t and 2) I’ve always wanted a Henry Repeating Rifle. So I kept them. Ammo doesn’t expire. I now have a Henry Golden Boy and a bunch of ammo.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That reminds me... Cousin mistakenly bought a box of 45 Super.

🤔 How many of you were even aware of this round?

I need to trade him for regular 45 ACP before he shoots it in a 1911.

Can shoot that in my Ruger Blackhawk convertible mo' safer.

AA

I once bought a chew toy for our dog from a national chain pet store. It was labeled as being for super chewers. Within a hour he was pulling chunks off of it. I did know that they had a policy of not taking returns on chew toys. I tried to return it based on what I would call false advertising, but they wouldn't take it back. I have never bought anything else from them again.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The most logical response is to buy a 30 Super Carry chambered firearm.

I mistakenly bought a bunch of .22 Shorts a while back. Only firearm I had was a Rem 597, will not shoot the shorts. I didn’t even consider returning them because for 1) I knew I couldn’t and 2) I’ve always wanted a Henry Repeating Rifle. So I kept them. Ammo doesn’t expire. I now have a Henry Golden Boy and a bunch of ammo.
Ah yes, the stock B&B answer- spend more money :lol: Bunch of enablers, all of youse. :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I once bought a chew toy for our dog from a national chain pet store. It was labeled as being for super chewers. Within a hour he was pulling chunks off of it. I did know that they had a policy of not taking returns on chew toys. I tried to return it based on what I would call false advertising, but they wouldn't take it back. I have never bought anything else from them again.
Yeah, I hear you and sympathize. I've got an English Mastiff and their bite force is 556 PSI, that's twice the bite force of a Pit Bull, and only less than 5 other breeds on the planet. She goes through "chew proof" toys in a matter of hours.
I understand some of these no return policies without necessarily agreeing with all of them.
I always try to make sure that before I set my item in front of the register that I have checked several times to make sure that what I grabbed is what I want. I hate making returns, and this habit has saved me heartburn many many times.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I constantly use emoji’s here. But don’t let that fool ya, I’m an assh, uhm, I mean jerk.

:)
Well, I still want to meet you.

I wanna see if you are as big of an..... Uh, JERK as everyone sez!

LoL, sometimes I crack myself up! I am headed south this winter, and I'm running out of friends in Missouri and Florida....so.....

Sorry, my response seemed a lot harsher than was intended. I was jokingly calling myself a jerk- sorry for the confusion. Should have put an emoji in.
Ha! Haven’t we all! Both rhetorically referred to ourselves in a less-than-flattering light and bought something by mistake we couldn’t return. And I’m confident we here all hate making mistakes which cost us money.

It’s a common misconception that ammunition falls under the same guidelines as “other goods” when it comes to return policy. Whether it is big box retailers or some small Mom and Pop, the liability is the same; all the way back to the manufacturer. But I’ve read some alternative suggestions here that are solid. Trade it to a friend or a member of your gun club. Post it for Private Sale on GunBroker or one of the other gun/ammunition friendly websites or forums. By all means, buy another gun! We gun manufacturers love both new customers and repeat business!!!

Good luck on your decision!

Curly

P.S. New guns are cool.

Quality customer service does indeed seem to be a thing of the past, and I certainly appreciate it when Encountered.
But as the fellows say above, this is strictly a liability issue.
as someone who spent well over 20 years in customer service, Quality Customer Service does NOT include violating corporate policy to make a customer happy. the old fallacy "the customer is always right" is a fraking myth. the quality customer service is tell ing the customer they are out of their mind, and it ain't gonna happen without them losing their sh*t. I saw a post recently about a guy who ordered chipoltle online. at the wrong store. he got it resolved and got a couple free meals out of that.

sure he "won" but that's pretty crappy customer service, especially from the business POV. making sure the order at the correct store would be great CS and not have a even greater impact n the bottom line. it a policy is clearly posted, and i know my local academy has signs stating ammo sales are final, and you make a mistake, suck it up, buttercup.

"great customer service" should never be a violation of policy, and the entitlement mentality some customers show to a store needs a swift kick in the pants.

If you had purchased the ammo at a locally owned gun shop, they might have been more open to exchanging the ammo. Large chains with multiple stores have to have strict policies that are consistent from one store to the next.

We used to have a Gander Mountain store about a mile and a half from my house. I had made many purchases there. I went in one day to purchase a shotgun. They had trigger locks on all the firearms. I requested that the lock be removed so I could evaluate the trigger pull on the gun. The store manager refused, so I went to a small gun shop that handed me an unloaded gun and allowed me to inspect it thoroughly. I made the purchase. I would have taken it home with me, but I live in Illinois and had to come back 24 hours later to pick it up. We also have the infamous FOID cards here (Firearm Owners ID).

I wrote a scathing review of the Gander Mountain store and never visited there again. A few months later, the entire Gander Mountain chain filed for bankruptcy. I doubt my review had anything to do with it, but I suspect store policies had a lot to do with their deteriorating business.
I bought two rifles from the old Gander Mountain, but it was in the days when long gun racks were customer accessible and you could pick up and handle the guns. One was a big CZ 550 Safari American in .375 H&H, and the other was out on the floor in one one of those little revolving racks I thought was for used guns but this one was a new little Marlin 1894CL in 32-20. A year or so after my last purchase they put counters in front of the wall racks and locked everything up so no handling. Can't really say that I blame them, I cannot imagine having to wipe down all those guns daily for all the handling they received.

Top Bottom