What's new

How to lose a customer for $32

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Guess I’m a jerk. Thanks for the input.

No, we've all done it. Looked at one can of soup and bought the other.

🤔 Wife bought non diet 2liter of soda. I did try to drink it, yuck.

I'd pull the slugs and powder, personally. Collet bullet puller.

AA

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This is how I started reading this thread:

[read title] How to loose a customer for $32
[thinks, hmmm that’s a bummer for just 30 bucks]

[then reads the first 3 words and immediate next thought…]

Stopped by Academy
Yeah….they don’t care.

You can just assume that any large corporate chain retailer does not give a single blankety blank about ”I’ll never shop here again” customers or the “you just lost a $1200 sale!” customers. We got those customers routinely when we would not alter our corporate return policy to meet their demands and we know one of 2 things (sometimes both) about them. 1. They were never going to spend that much money regardless. And/or 2. More often than not they DO come back.

I particularly loved the “do you know how much money I spend here!” customers. Because guess what….we can easily find out. How bout I look up your transactions with your credit card you used. Ohh you’re a cash only customer? Well surely you have our rewards card if you spend so much money here and I can quickly look up your previous transactions with that. Ohh you don’t have the rewards card? Well that’s no problem because a manager has to approve transactions over $500 I can just pull all those up and see if they are yours or I can look at the cameras because surely you are in here all the time spending so much money. Ya know…I’m here about 55 hours every week and the store is only open about 80 hours a week…Surely I would recognize someone that spends so much money here.

Sorry, I just love threads like this :lol:

Having said that , how I would have handled it - sympathize and kindly explain the return policy and the liability associated with returning ammo. “I can’t return this BUT, here is what I can do for you”….Find some type of coupon code or discount to give off next purchase to soothe the burn. Typically most retailers have SOMETHING they can do to appease angry customers. A lot of times I would just take a few bucks off an item if need be. No one wants to purposefully loose a customer. But if they are being unreasonable then it’s best to just count your looses and move on.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No, we've all done it. Looked at one can of soup and bought the other.

🤔 Wife bought non diet 2liter of soda. I did try to drink it, yuck.

I'd pull the slugs and powder, personally. Collet bullet puller.

AA
When I call myself a dummkopf, I hear it in Herr Becker’s (my HS German teacher) voice.
This is how I started reading this thread:

[read title] How to loose a customer for $32
[thinks, hmmm that’s a bummer for just 30 bucks]

[then reads the first 3 words and immediate next thought…]

Yeah….they don’t care.

You can just assume that any large corporate chain retailer does not give a single blankety blank about ”I’ll never shop here again” customers or the “you just lost a $1200 sale!” customers. We got those customers routinely when we would not alter our corporate return policy to meet their demands and we know one of 2 things (sometimes both) about them. 1. They were never going to spend that much money regardless. And/or 2. More often than not they DO come back.

I particularly loved the “do you know how much money I spend here!” customers. Because guess what….we can easily find out. How bout I look up your transactions with your credit card you used. Ohh you’re a cash only customer? Well surely you have our rewards card if you spend so much money here and I can quickly look up your previous transactions with that. Ohh you don’t have the rewards card? Well that’s no problem because a manager has to approve transactions over $500 I can just pull all those up and see if they are yours or I can look at the cameras because surely you are in here all the time spending so much money. Ya know…I’m here about 55 hours every week and the store is only open about 80 hours a week…Surely I would recognize someone that spends so much money here.

Sorry, I just love threads like this :lol:

Having said that , how I would have handled it - sympathize and kindly explain the return policy and the liability associated with returning ammo. “I can’t return this BUT, here is what I can do for you”….Find some type of coupon code or discount to give off next purchase to soothe the burn. Typically most retailers have SOMETHING they can do to appease angry customers. A lot of times I would just take a few bucks off an item if need be. No one wants to purposefully loose a customer. But if they are being unreasonable then it’s best to just count your looses and move on.
I worked retail for many years, so I didn’t pull any shenanigans- just said “oh, okay” and went on my way. I like to mull things over for a day or two before taking action. In this case, the wait allowed my to realize I’m a knucklehead, and learn from my mistake. I’ve gotten over myself :)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I shop the local Mom and Pop shops...as much as I can...those that haven't been run out of business.

SWMBO went to Home Depot for some lumber for a raised bed garden thingy. She had some problems, so I told her to go to the local lumber yard, that has been around here for decades, and they would cut it to specs. and load it for you. And they will pull it out of stock, and you won't be pushing around a cart with several pieces of framing timbers on it. Full meal deal.

She did and they did. A couple of days later she needed some more stuff and went back to the local lumber yard.

YMMV

And yes...ammo return is usually a no no.

Last edited:
I ordered 38spl +P from Cabelas years ago, got Super 38 instead......called and they just sent me the one I ordered and said to keep the other. I tried to give it away at work but no one had one..... Now last week I read you can actually shoot them out of some 357mags.....might try it

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I ordered 38spl +P from Cabelas years ago, got Super 38 instead......called and they just sent me the one I ordered and said to keep the other. I tried to give it away at work but no one had one..... Now last week I read you can actually shoot them out of some 357mags.....might try it
You sure about this?? 38 Super is for semis, and 357 mag is for revolver. The cartridges are not interchangeable between the two.

.38 Super is rimless. You probably can fire it out of a .38spl/.357 cylinder, but extraction will be done using a wooden or brass dowel. I have a cylinder reamed for multi-calibers, using moon clips, so it is possible.

If you had purchased the ammo at a locally owned gun shop, they might have been more open to exchanging the ammo. Large chains with multiple stores have to have strict policies that are consistent from one store to the next.

We used to have a Gander Mountain store about a mile and a half from my house. I had made many purchases there. I went in one day to purchase a shotgun. They had trigger locks on all the firearms. I requested that the lock be removed so I could evaluate the trigger pull on the gun. The store manager refused, so I went to a small gun shop that handed me an unloaded gun and allowed me to inspect it thoroughly. I made the purchase. I would have taken it home with me, but I live in Illinois and had to come back 24 hours later to pick it up. We also have the infamous FOID cards here (Firearm Owners ID).

I wrote a scathing review of the Gander Mountain store and never visited there again. A few months later, the entire Gander Mountain chain filed for bankruptcy. I doubt my review had anything to do with it, but I suspect store policies had a lot to do with their deteriorating business.

We used to have nearby in Tyler, Tx. For several years after they opened all the long guns were on open racks, not behind a counter so a customer could just go up, pick one up and look it over. I purchased two rifles because of that policy. One was on one of the revolving racks sitting out in the middle of the floor,which I thought had used guns but, no, new. The one I picked up was a little Marlin 1894cl in 32-20 and I could not get it to the check out counter quick enough. The other on the long wall rack was a CZ 550 safari American in .375 H&H, along with one each in .458 Lott and .416 Rigby. The Rigby tempted me but I went for the .375 for two reasons, I figured I could afford to shoot it more, and the wood on it was fantastic where the other two were extremely plain. I had it at range a few weeks later and a man and his wife came along and spotted it and said he wondered where it went.. He had seen in and planned on going back to buy it but I beat him to it. I actually had gone home and thought it over and had them put it back for me to come back a couple of days later, and they helped. Also at the time they had some kind of instore specials going on, and as I remember I got about $150 off the price of the CZ.

Even after they moved the long guns back behind the counter so we could no longer easily access them, I never had a problem with a clerk getting one down for me to look over. Your problem must have been a bad manager.

I did see one problem though, then never had any ammo for any of the guns I bought, the 32-20 or .375 H&H, and I rather doubt any of the other uncommon calibers as the .458 Lott and .416 Rigby.

That location is now a Gander Outdoors and firearms selection is really bad, it looks too me like they are more in the business of trying to sell travel trailers.

You sure about this?? 38 Super is for semis, and 357 mag is for revolver. The cartridges are not interchangeable between the two.

Found this over on the Smith & Wesson forum

I heard this years ago, so I gave it a try. The .38 Super cartridge will fit in some .357 Magnum chambers, but not all. The chambers in a Colt Python were a little too tight, but the chambers in Model 19 were just fine. It depends on the gun. The bullets are a little undersized for a .357, so I suspect the accuracy to be somewhat poor.

consensis is that it may work, I have never seen a .38 super cart. so don't have any plans of trying it.

Found this over on the Smith & Wesson forum

I heard this years ago, so I gave it a try. The .38 Super cartridge will fit in some .357 Magnum chambers, but not all. The chambers in a Colt Python were a little too tight, but the chambers in Model 19 were just fine. It depends on the gun. The bullets are a little undersized for a .357, so I suspect the accuracy to be somewhat poor.

consensis is that it may work, I have never seen a .38 super cart. so don't have any plans of trying it.
Common misconception- .38Spl/.357 Mag/.38 Super/9mm Luger/Largo/Kurz are all nominally .356 diameter. Manufacturer runs are between .355 and .357.

I don’t think that policy is limited to big chain stores. My buddy bought ammo from a local store and asked the clerk for 9mm and the guy gave him 40. He didn’t realize it till he was home, he was back at the store within a hour but they still didn’t give him an exchange with a receipt.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don’t think that policy is limited to big chain stores. My buddy bought ammo from a local store and asked the clerk for 9mm and the guy gave him 40. He didn’t realize it till he was home, he was back at the store within a hour but they still didn’t give him an exchange with a receipt.
Yeah..... I'd definitely have to count to ten AND bite my tongue so as to not ruin my Testimony in that scenario.

Top Bottom