What's new

Squirrel guns

I use an air rifle, mainly because it's quiet. I live on a lake in cottage country. I find CCI quiets in 22lr accurate and deadly, but they ricochet terribly at the sedate 700 fps they run at. High velocity pellets (1000 fps with .177) slow down really fast (think badminton shuttlecocks), but are deadly up to 20 meters, and those lightweight pellets don't ricochet much. Most shots on squirrels here are at 15-20 meters. Body shots usually don't result in drt. Head shots always do. Since ranges are short, I always go for head shots. That dime-sized target isn't an easy offhand shot at 15 meters, particularly when it won't stand still.
While it's legal to discharge firearms where I live, I don't out of deference to my neighbours. There's a gravel pit 5 km down the road where I can shoot my boomers.

6E3667E6-806B-4E9C-9D69-27012D5628A9.jpeg
E21D1314-8C42-4B06-A386-A52E9436530F.jpeg

Two best squirrel rifles I have used in some time. Lights out from 50 yards and in. Got two this morning by breakfast with the Hatsan AT 44 (.25 caliber)-top.
That and the Benjamin Discovery (.22 caliber)-bottom are the scourge of the local squirrel community. No real need for anything else.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The (surviving) local house-eaters call my Henry .22 lever, "the maker of empty nests."

They tell stories about it on Squirreloween.

AA :a51:

I always used a 12 with puff load 7s. Never an issue with mangling them. Farms were too close to shoot up with a 22.

I use my 17 hmr when I’m not worried about range issues. Head shots are preferred with a 17. A 22 would be better, but I love my 17!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I always used a 12 with puff load 7s. Never an issue with mangling them. Farms were too close to shoot up with a 22.

I use my 17 hmr when I’m not worried about range issues. Head shots are preferred with a 17. A 22 would be better, but I love my 17!
My only problem is that when I aim for the head I hit the tail. If I aim for the tail I hit the game warden. So I obviously need another gun.

My wife didn't buy that argument either. She just offered to do the shooting. And as she is a better shot with a long gun, I never argue with her, unless it's at close quarters, since I'm better with a revolver, and she rarely carries.

Yes, love has kept us together, but mutual destruction hasn't hurt either for the past 30 years!

My only problem is that when I aim for the head I hit the tail. If I aim for the tail I hit the game warden. So I obviously need another gun.

My wife didn't buy that argument either. She just offered to do the shooting. And as she is a better shot with a long gun, I never argue with her, unless it's at close quarters, since I'm better with a revolver, and she rarely carries.

Yes, love has kept us together, but mutual destruction hasn't hurt either for the past 30 years!
Lol

Well, the 870 turkey gun is quite heavy to pack (of course),but it worked a treat on Mr.Squirrel on Saturday. I just finished making some tasty bbq pulled squirrel in the crock pot for tonight's dinner. Meat wasn't shot up too badly, and not full of pellets either - the no. 6 game loads exited pretty cleanly (yes, I left my turkey choke screwed in).

Saturday taught me, don't be afraid to pack a tight-choked 12 gauge into the squirrel woods. The damage isn't too bad to the meat at all, unless you are probably shooting point blank or something (I'm not stealthy enough to get within point blank range of a squirrel anyway).

Another nice sign: squirrels in my area are indeed fat and happy this Spring, no signs of warbles (yet anyway). I will try it again next weekend and probably a few evenings after work this week. I am still looking for a cheap single shot shotgun, but it certainly isn't a necessity.

For those of you who live in states with Spring squirrel seasons, I suggest you give it a try. I had a blast on Saturday.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Eliminated four more of the rare & dangerous, 'Striped Ground Squirrel's' from the property the last two nights with my Gamo .177 'Bone Collector.' Took this particular one, at about 25 yds with a 'Gamo PBA Raptor.' Entry was just below the left ear, exiting just above the right rear hind leg.

IMG_0264.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, an option used here for out-of-season House-Eaters is simply a Havahart trap … load it with peanut butter and you'll have your property-gnawing criminal shortly.

I make certain to take them more than three miles away, usually across a long bridge or *very* busy highway.

AA

Fall squirrel season is right around the corner. I will either stick with the shotgun for heavy foliage, and after the leaves start dropping I will switch to a scoped .22 - probably a Browning BL-22 lever rifle.

Looking forward to getting back in the woods.

Fall squirrel season is right around the corner. I will either stick with the shotgun for heavy foliage, and after the leaves start dropping I will switch to a scoped .22 - probably a Browning BL-22 lever rifle.

Looking forward to getting back in the woods.
Those Browning levers are beautiful.

Top Bottom