What's new

Calling hunters and long range shooters, I need a new scope

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The only problem with Leupold is their outdated reticle designs. If you' re good with the old standby duplex reticle, they're great. But you won't find a reticle similar to the Vortex Viper PST's in Leupold's line up. I have a nice Leupold with the Boone & Crocket BDC reticle on my Remington Model 7 carbine, but I'm not likely to be making long distance shots with it.

I live, and hunt, in Scandinavia where we have a different view regarding scopes. My Leupold scopes have served me well, but they have been much more expensive here during the last years and I have switched to Zeiss scopes, reticle 4 and never been disappointed. Our shooting distances are commonly around 50-80 yards, sometimes with a stretch to 150-170 yards. Common over here are variable magnifications in the range 1-8x.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As a variation on the "point blank range" concept, most modern deer cartridges if zeroed to about 1.5 inches high at 100 yds., will be about right on at 200 yds. But of course this all varies with your cartridge/ gun combination. Bottom line is that you need to know your exact ballistics in order to apply this info. So if you only have access to a 100 yd. range, if you know your ballistic table, you'll know how high to zero your gun at 100 to be on at 200. Of course you should ideally confirm all of this at other ranges if possible, but if not, you should be in the ball park. Now if you are trying to shoot small groups for score or hit a ground hog in the eye, you'll need to be more exact with your sighting in.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have really enjoyed this conversation and I have been learning. I am sorry I have nothing to add but I have enjoyed it. I love hog hunting and deer hunting but I know nothing about the scopes mentioned.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
100 to 200 yards, look into SWFA. If you are a +/- 100 yards hunter, google SWFA 6x scope. They are well in your price range, do little research they have a cult like following.
SWFA has been having "issues" the few years. Seems like most everything is on perpetual backorder.
Vortex has an extensive line up from budget friendly to high end. Lifetime warranty, lots of choices in reticles. They tend to be a bit heavy because they are built like a tank.
This! Just bite the bullet and get the Viper PST Gen II in MOA and don't look back! EuroOptic can hook you up with a showroom Demo for $869.99.

The beauty of it all is if there is ANY thing wrong with it Vortex with fix it. Matters not if you bought it second hand, showroom demo, or new! Their VIP warranty is amazing and I have used it because of something dumb I did. Had the scope back in a week!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
As a variation on the "point blank range" concept, most modern deer cartridges if zeroed to about 1.5 inches high at 100 yds., will be about right on at 200 yds. But of course this all varies with your cartridge/ gun combination. Bottom line is that you need to know your exact ballistics in order to apply this info. So if you only have access to a 100 yd. range, if you know your ballistic table, you'll know how high to zero your gun at 100 to be on at 200. Of course you should ideally confirm all of this at other ranges if possible, but if not, you should be in the ball park. Now if you are trying to shoot small groups for score or hit a ground hog in the eye, you'll need to be more exact with your sighting in.
I usually sight in 3inches high at 100yds, gets me “minute of Deer” out to about 250. Looking at others posts here I’m realizing my biggest gripe is with Nikon’s BDC more than anything.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The good thing about Leupold's B&C reticle is that it's very simple.
The bad thing about Leupold's B&C reticle is that it's very simple.

The maddening aspect is that the hold over hash marks are 2.2, 4.8, 6.3 and 7.8 MOA. Why didn't they make them at 2, 4, 6 and 8 MOA????

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

The maddening aspect is that the hold over hash marks are 2.2, 4.8, 6.3 and 7.8 MOA. Why didn't they make them at 2, 4, 6 and 8 MOA????

Cuz that would make sense.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game

Yeah... That makes ZERO sense! And weponized math is even easier!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Here's what I went with.

With the 15% off the price was right at $800 with shipping.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here's what I went with.

With the 15% off the price was right at $800 with shipping.
Glad you found what you wanted.
All I could suggest was don't get this one.
Rifle_scope_recoils.gif

I’ve got a REM 700 in .243 that was my grandfathers scoped with a Leupold. That rifle is probably close to 40yrs old and the scope is still rocking right along. They’re good scopes for sure.
When I finished high school in 1963, dad won a Win mod 70 featherweight in 30-06 in a sales contest and gave it to me. I wanted a scope, so down to the local dealer. I was looking at a Weaver K model when I was handed a Leupold 4x and quickly said this is the one. We put it in a Weaver pivot mount. Still have that rifle, scope, and mount combo 60 years later.

Top Bottom