What's new

Proraso: 10 good reasons to love it!

Oh dear, that picture actually scares me a bit because that barber looks a lot like Terry Jones from Monty Python, and I can't imagine that shave ending well. :p

not to worry, the guy being shaved is only the star of the play!

anyway, if you look closely, there appears to be no blade in that Feather Japanese style shavette!

Ron, because I shaved recently with Cella that was my question too. "Far better"?? Ok, maybe there are some products, but for the price, Cella is wonderful. Do you know many creams that have tallow inside and perform like Cella? I don't. Slickness top class, cushion was there, scent ymmv but I liked it.

I agree, in my opinion Cella is as good as it gets performance wise. It lather incredibly, has great slickness, cushion and scent. I personally put it on par with Tabac and possibly above D.R. Harris soaps. Too bad for some that it irritates their face. I've never had this with any cream or soap.

Yes, cella is better than DR Harris soaps that dry the skin and don't offer very good slickness in my opinion. It also lathers more easily than Harris hard puck. And is far cheaper.

Fully agreed.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A superb "all Proraso" set-up and shave today. :thumbup:

Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Cream: Proraso Wood & Spice
Aftershave: Alum Block + Proraso Red
Cologne: Proraso Wood & Spice

I simply combined together my favourite Proraso products for each category and got a GREAT, CLOSE, AMAZING shave!! :001_wub:

P.S. Just for reference, I bowl lathered the cream with a Simpson Duke 3 Best brush in my Omega Via Barberia ceramic bowl. The razor was a Merkur 42C 1904 loaded with a US Personna blade (1).

You have found 'far better' creams than Cella? I know everyone has favorites and ymmv in DE shaving. But which soaps/creams perform 'better' than Cella in your view?

Since you asked, the following soaps and creams I like better than Cella (YMMV, of course). XPEC Unscented, SMN V3, ADP, Esbjerg, C&S, Valoubra hard soaps, MDC, I Coloniali, MWF/Haslinger/Kent, Tabac, Tabula Rasa, MT soaps and pastes, Klar Seifen, SDM, Alvarez Gomez, Baume.be, SV, AOS tallow soaps, DR Harris soaps, BP 1924, Nuavia (blu, rossa, verde), Savon des Volcans Bon Berger, St James, Musgo Real, etc, etc.

Ok agreed on Xpec, MDC, Tabac, Klar, Nuavia, St James.

But don't forget the price difference....

Because Cella is cheap doesn't mean it doesn't offer great shaves...

Just tried the Proraso Green Eucalytus & Menthol tube. Great stuff!!! Got it on sale for $8. Prior to that I used Truefitt & Hill and some other high priced creams. Think I will stay with the Proraso since it is such a good value.

the green is my to-go paste. don't forget to rinse your face with some ice-cold water after the shave for the coolest sensation ever

Proraso is great, I especially love the green. That said, my Truefitt & Hill Almond is a superior cream. I'd love to try another scent, especially the 1805. Sorry, I realize this is a Proraso thread and I do love it!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My feelings are that the standard Proraso creams are very good performers and they do represent an excellent value for the money. I would put them just a little step below the finest creams available.

The Single Blade creams by Proraso are unquestionably a better product. I would put them at the exact same high level of the very best creams on the market (3 T's included).

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A quick update for my B&B friends: all the Single Blade creams will have their own dedicated pre-shave cream! This is an absolute novelty by Proraso! :thumbup:

Hey Marco, used Proraso Single Blade Cypress & Vetyver yesterday. Indeed a good cream. Lathers excellent and it is very slick. Better than my Blue Proraso. The scent is between the Green & Blue standard Proraso.

I’m not the biggest fan of Proraso but I find myself stopping in to read the OP because @Marco has a certain elegance and style to his writing that is just terrific. Well done. Cheers.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I’m not the biggest fan of Proraso but I find myself stopping in to read the OP because @Marco has a certain elegance and style to his writing that is just terrific. Well done. Cheers.

Sir, thank you for the nice words of appreciation. My hat is off. :euro:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso is great, I especially love the green. That said, my Truefitt & Hill Almond is a superior cream. I'd love to try another scent, especially the 1805. Sorry, I realize this is a Proraso thread and I do love it!

Sir, the 1805 is IMHO the greatest scent by the legendary T&H. It is exactly how I imagine the fine English Gentlemen smelling during the Victorian Age. :001_cool:

I suppose there is no need to underline once again that I truly love Proraso, too. :001_wub:

I got my first safety razor, brush, and soap in August 2014 but didn't really start using it regularly and diving into wet shaving until around December 2014. Since then I've gone through many razors, creams, soaps, blades, etc, which included trying soaps and creams from the Proraso Green, white, red, and blue lines. I always enjoyed them but never was "blown away" by them. I do love and regularly use the green splash. I liked the green and white enough to keep a tub or tube of one of them in rotation.

Fast forward to this past Christmas and my wife bought me a shaving related gift for the first time and it was the proraso green gift tin. She saw I had a tub of green soap and a barber bottle of green splash and Google lead her to the gift tin. I thought it was super cool and vowed to really give proraso a good shot.

I live in Florida where even now in January it's warm during the day so the green line is very nice and cooling. I've consistently been using the proraso green pre cream and shave cream together with my Omega synth and my 37c with Astra SP. I usually finish with the green splash but occasionally Dr Jon's classic. I have been getting the best shaves I've had consistently. And that is key, consistency. An occasional good shave is a fluke but consistent stellar shaves is an art, an art for which I believe proraso will be my instrument moving forward.

Cheers gents

I got my first safety razor, brush, and soap in August 2014 but didn't really start using it regularly and diving into wet shaving until around December 2014. Since then I've gone through many razors, creams, soaps, blades, etc, which included trying soaps and creams from the Proraso Green, white, red, and blue lines. I always enjoyed them but never was "blown away" by them. I do love and regularly use the green splash. I liked the green and white enough to keep a tub or tube of one of them in rotation.

Fast forward to this past Christmas and my wife bought me a shaving related gift for the first time and it was the proraso green gift tin. She saw I had a tub of green soap and a barber bottle of green splash and Google lead her to the gift tin. I thought it was super cool and vowed to really give proraso a good shot.

I live in Florida where even now in January it's warm during the day so the green line is very nice and cooling. I've consistently been using the proraso green pre cream and shave cream together with my Omega synth and my 37c with Astra SP. I usually finish with the green splash but occasionally Dr Jon's classic. I have been getting the best shaves I've had consistently. And that is key, consistency. An occasional good shave is a fluke but consistent stellar shaves is an art, an art for which I believe proraso will be my instrument moving forward.

Cheers gents
Since you are living in Florida I would like to share this with you...
When I am in Miami , using Exactly like you 37c and Astra SP , Proraso green , I am having the most fantastic shave ,,, could never replicate when not in Florida :)....is this the water the weather , my soul my happiness to be there ...:))) the mojo ??
Seriously speaking I do not know...

Tam

For ME, proraso white cream is the best thing I've ever used. Beats my nuavia, MWF, Haslinger, Fine, Tabac, MDC. The green cream is nearly but not quite as good for me. I'm very surprised! Perhaps as I don't need post-shave properties as I live in the semi tropics, so dry skin is not an issue here. My A/S and WH is plenty good enough on that front. Moving to London soon so will see how things go there in winter! Must also get me some of the new proraso lines too

Top Bottom