What's new

Are natural hair brushes days NUMBERED?

Having used badger brushes almost exclusively for years, I prefer their touch, feel and performance. I'll use a synthetic only when traveling and have insufficient time between shaves to properly allow for a badger to completely dry. This is the only situation I have found the synthetic superior to the badger.

I've recently rekindled my love for boar brushes. I love synthetics because they are consistent and lather easily every time. However, broken-in boar brushes, in terms of face feel, are in a league of their own. So soft with natural scrub.... I just lose myself in the relaxing experience whenever I lather with a well broken-in boar brush

I've recently rekindled my love for boar brushes. I love synthetics because they are consistent and lather easily every time. However, broken-in boar brushes, in terms of face feel, are in a league of their own. So soft with natural scrub.... I just lose myself in the relaxing experience whenever I lather with a well broken-in boar brush
Boar brushes rule!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Boar brushes rule!
Before I can fully agree my friend, I need to use my only Badger brush more. T'was a gift, and I have not given it the time it deserves..... Perhaps I should use it exclusively in Tabactober and OCtober?

I could definitely do werser, and I wouldn't have to think much.....

Ok @shavefan , I know what you and @KeenDogg are thinking. I do TOO think a lot.....and NOT just of myself!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Before I can fully agree my friend, I need to use my only Badger brush more. T'was a gift, and I have not given it the time it deserves..... Perhaps I should use it exclusively in Tabactober and OCtober?

I could definitely do werser, and I wouldn't have to think much.....

Ok @shavefan , I know what you and @KeenDogg are thinking. I do TOO think a lot.....and NOT just of myself!
What kind of Badger do you have, Dave?

I'm sure the synthetic brushes appeal to many people and most likely quite a few badger users have been converted, however, I don't see it replacing some of the top quality natural hair (boar/badger) brushes by any means. There is a certain feel when you are using a natural hair brush compared to a synthetic especially if you are using a brush to face lather...well that's what I have noticed over the years of shaving
:straight:

No doubt synthetics have come a long way since the days when they were made of what felt like nylon fishing filament designed to take giant tarpon or sharks. I own a bunch of synths, including some pricey Simpsons, and I really like them, as part of a rotation.

But in May/June as I awaited the arrival of my Beagle brushes from Germany I started the 'Synthetic Summer' thread where I invited members to join me in using synths exclusively until the Beagles arrived. From that experience I learned that while incorporating synthetics into a rotation of brushes can be enjoyable, using nothing but synths for a month or more makes me want to grow a beard. I didn't enjoy it.

On another note, a few years ago Joe from Italian Barber ('Razorock') told me that inexpensive synthetic brushes have all but destroyed the market for boar brushes. I forget the exact figure, but I seem to recall that he said his boar sales were down over 70%. That was in 2017 or 2018. Probably even worse today.
Hi Owen, Interesting statistic from Italian Barber. I've found that a good Boar Brush (e.g. Razorock Blondie/Zenith 80N or Omega 10049) an ideal compliment to the synthetic. The stiffer Boar works best on hard triple milled soap (Williams in my case) with the synthetic (Razorock Monster in my case) preferred for my slightly softer blends and Proraso croap. While I don't own a badger my sense, from reviews, is that the synthetics generally attempt to emulate a badger brush experience. This is especially true for Razorock where all their synthetics use their plissoft knots that are nothing like a good scritchy boar brush such as those above. Based on synth lathering characteristics one might have expected some cannibalization of the lower end badger brushes.

Implication, at least for Italian Barber, is that most of it's pre-synth Boar business was driven by more price sensitive customers who, while they prefer a softer brush, did not want to shift from $10-20 boars to Italian Barbers' $35+ badgers. Once quality under $20 synthetic options were available (Razorock synths have a price range that is similar to that of their boar brushes) that provided this different "more badger like" experience these customers made the jump. Makes sense given how many DE shavers come in from cartridges with the goal of realizing significant cost savings.

Probably some opportunity for education. My return to DE 2+ years ago started with a basic Vanderhagen boar that fell apart after a few months. The Plissoft Monster brush was a big upgrade and initially I never thought of acquiring another boar due to poor perception from that first experience. Thanks to all the excellent dialogue from fellow B&B members I became better educated on the benefits of a quality boar and added the Blondie boar to my holiday season order. Glad I did because of how it compliments my synthetic and now I rotate between the two based on the shave soap used. Given the price points ($9 each on sale), there is no reason why a synth needs to cannibalize a boar for any but the most price sensitive shaver. Per an earlier post on the ideal starter set my view is that at this type of price point new DE shavers should start with one of each to better figure out what works best for them and go from there. Bottom line I don't see the days of natural brushes (at least the boar brushes I'm familiar with) as numbered.

What do others think?

Semogue 1800 Boar - very happy with it and I doubt I would go to synthetics. Maybe silvertip badger might become rarer as synthetics improve, but if anything we should all be using less plastics... Also, I would suspect that we are at pretty much a steady state of the market here. People who are looking for a cheaper shave than disposables and people who are looking for a classic shave are the two ends of this hobby...

I've used nothing but Muhle synthetics since about 2015/16. I unloaded all of my natural hair brushes because of maintenance challenges imposed by climate. When humidity is always high and torrential rains comprise 5 months of the year, hair and bristle take forever to dry. Mold/fungus is a real risk and I didn't want to keep spending time fussing over 8 silvertips. The STFs proved to be robust and truly wash and wear.

Do I think synthetics will make natural hair brushes extinct? No. As others have said, these products appeal to very distinct segments of an admittedly niche market. I do believe that synthetics together with less expensive razors, creams, and blades will make it easier for the curious to jump in and try. Should demand spike, it's a lot easier to produce more fibre than grow enough pigs or badgers to match such trends.

Having said all that, I do miss the feel and performance of badger. As I've not bought a new brush in close to 8 years, I figure I might get a 2-band silvertip to use for Sunday shaves.

If you figure how many years, Days, Shaves better things in life to worry about. BTW just enjoyed a great Shave with my Simpsons Chubby 2 Lathered with Tallow Soap, After that Bacon and Eggs over medium It's great to be at the Top of the Food Chain. Ny Strip for Dinner what a Life.

It’s been quite a few years since I purchased or tried a synthetic, it performed ok, but I felt like the brush had no soul to it. Not sure even as I write this, what the hell that means, but it just never felt right in my hand.

Last edited:
Yup, "no soul" nails it! I've acquired all of the APShave G5 series this winter and have enjoyed exploring their abilities. I prefer a nice short lofted boar, but there are some soaps that are nothing but a battle with anything but a synth. So, keeping the things that actually matter in life in perspective, I use synthetics for some of those soaps in order to enjoy the great scents that they offer. Shave on!

Top Bottom