What's new

Help me choose a new Bay Rum

So I cycled through and finished a bottle of Clubman VIBR not too long ago, I got to thinking today that I want another Bay Rum. Here's my list of possible suspects. Any and all feedback on the following would be greatly and immensely appreciated. FYI.....I did the same thing when it came to Lavender and you boys nailed it.

Not in any order either

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
PAA Classico Bay Rum
PAA Boomtown Bay Rum
Clubman VIBR -this would be my second stint with it
Blackship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Blackship Grooming Black Beard

And I'm certainly open to other options, so fire away!

I wish I could help - the only one that I was familiar with was St Johns (my dad wore it), but it's expensive and there are a lot of reviews that dislike it. "formula change" seems to be the biggest complaint. But that got me looking and now I have a bottle coming from etsy in a week or so. Fairly expensive at $12 for 1 oz. But it's been a long time since I've smelled a Bay Rum.

Thanks for giving me that itch to scratch. ;)

-jim

so many bay rums to choose from.

bay rums.jpg

Try an Ogallala bay rum sampler
4 different bay rums, twice as much juice and cheaper than any other choice listed.
As an added bonus, it feels great going on the skin and dries to a smooth finish. It is a great aftershave in both scent and feel, highly recommended.

The only two on your list that I have are PAA Atomic Age and Classico. I have several others, including Cat o’ Nine Tails (which has an awesome face feel), and a bunch of Captain’s Choice samplers. Atomic Age is my overall favorite.

Alright so I’ve got a general direction to go in here, so what smells close then to the Clubman VIBR and is that the bay rum in which all bay rums are measured?

My personal favorites (Not in order)

1. Captain's choice Lime
2. Captain's choice Bay Rum
3. Vintage Avon Bay Rum
4. Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
5. Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum

Ogallala is too swee for me

Try an Ogallala bay rum sampler
4 different bay rums, twice as much juice and cheaper than any other choice listed.
As an added bonus, it feels great going on the skin and dries to a smooth finish. It is a great aftershave in both scent and feel, highly recommended.

+1! Excellent products! I especially enjoyed the version with limes and peppercorns. :a14: :a14: :a14:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
OK - at the risk of being ridiculed I will offer you a different option. I have tried a few Bay Rum scents and my favourite is Pashana American Bay Rum Hair Tonic. Yes I know, it is a hair tonic, but.... it smells great. I regularly use it as an aftershave and it is fantastic! If like me you enjoy a post shave burn then you will certainly get it with this!

I recommend
1- VIBR that you already have used
2-Bootlegger's Bay Rum
3- Royall BayRhum
4- Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails

Does any one here have any experience with the suavecito bay rum? And does anyone know if it has alcohol in it? I can’t find an ingredients list anywhere

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Does any one here have any experience with the suavecito bay rum? And does anyone know if it has alcohol in it? I can’t find an ingredients list anywhere

It does have alcohol. I like Sauvecito Bay Rum, but it is very short lived as most bay rums are.

So I cycled through and finished a bottle of Clubman VIBR not too long ago, I got to thinking today that I want another Bay Rum. Here's my list of possible suspects. Any and all feedback on the following would be greatly and immensely appreciated. FYI.....I did the same thing when it came to Lavender and you boys nailed it.

Not in any order either

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
PAA Classico Bay Rum
PAA Boomtown Bay Rum
Clubman VIBR -this would be my second stint with it
Blackship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Blackship Grooming Black Beard

And I'm certainly open to other options, so fire away!

I'm not a fan of Bay Rum so I can't lend much experience with any of these except be aware that PAA has a Bay Rum they use in some of their offerings which is WITHOUT CLOVES. I don't know about the ones you mentioned, offhand, but you can check their description of each.

I actually like it more the usual Bay Rum as I think it may be the cloves that I hate after all? I have a sample of their Pineapple Bay Rum and (apart from the pineapple) it smells hugely leathery, like the smell around horses at the track. That's not a put-down, I kind of like it. If you've ever been in a "Tack Room" where they have saddles and horse liniment and whatever, it smells just like that.

You can get 99 cent samples on the PAA stuff and shaving soap samples on the Blackship Grooming so you don't have to risk much money on something you may not like. Try the Pineapple Bay Rum too, there's not much of a pineapple note, mainly the no-clove Bay Rum (which I'm sampling again this very moment and liking it more and more...)

A lot of thumbs up here then for the PAA atomic age bay rum, looks like that’s what i might be getting then.

That one has no clove like the Pineapple BR I was talking about. The horsey-smell I was describing only seems to last a little while. Then it should just be straight BR without the cloves, but if it's the clove scent that you LIKE about BR, then you may be disappointed? I would just order a bunch of samples first, including that one, so you can be sure?

Top Bottom