What's new

Car buying time!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How about a Pontiac G8?

Awesome car. Made by Holden in Australia. A G8 GT and GXP will hang with pretty much anything on the road.

The Audi A8 is a great car too. Make sure to have the cooling system inspected by someone you trust before buying. Cooling system issues are usually what lead to head gasket and intake gasket failure.

Head Gasket Failure - AudiWorld Forums

If you're looking at that level, you might also have a look at the AMG 63/65. Theres a tire shredding monster under that hood.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thats sad news. No more HSV Maloo's. I wonder what will become of HSV.

GM just closed the Oshawa Plant here.

Oshawa GM plant closure to cost Durham more than 5,000 jobs: union president

The 1967 Chevelle SS 396 I had was built there.

Both Holden and Ford have recently stop manufacturing in Aussie, so the Aussie ute is history.

I'm currently driving a Holden 2013 SV6 Z series sportwagon. It may be my last Holden.
If I'm going to buy a Germany car, I'm not sure I would pick a Opel rebadged Holden.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Both Holden and Ford have recently stop manufacturing in Aussie, so the Aussie ute is history.

Thats the end of an icon.

The friend of mine in Motueka had several ute's. I cant remember which years they were.

Ford left, Holden right.
Ford v's Holden.JPG

2006_0521(002).JPG Bobb_3.JPG Dorothy & Brutis.jpg

This one eventually had a full resto job with a Chevy 350 stroked to 383ci's.

Dorothy april 04.JPG Dorothy & Bobb 2004.JPG

Awesome car. Made by Holden in Australia. A G8 GT and GXP will hang with pretty much anything on the road.

The Audi A8 is a great car too. Make sure to have the cooling system inspected by someone you trust before buying. Cooling system issues are usually what lead to head gasket and intake gasket failure.

Head Gasket Failure - AudiWorld Forums

If you're looking at that level, you might also have a look at the AMG 63/65. Theres a tire shredding monster under that hood.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Audi cooling system. As much as I like Audi, a lot of S8's are modded. I found one that was modded to 700hp!!! I'll have to find an AMG 63/65 to test drive. The good thing about the Alpina's is that, while few are available, the are mostly pretty low mileage cars.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the heads-up on the Audi cooling system. As much as I like Audi, a lot of S8's are modded. I found one that was modded to 700hp!!! I'll have to find an AMG 63/65 to test drive. The good thing about the Alpina's is that, while few are available, the are mostly pretty low mileage cars.

Last summer we took a drive 4 hours north to Tobermory Ontario. On the way there I was playing with various BMW's, one was a 7 series, two entry level Audi's, a Subaru WRX that I finally got by at 110mph, and an AMG 65. We were all having fun and the BMW's and Audi's for the most part walked away from me, but when I was going to pass the AMG at 70mph, he punched it and left rubber on the road. The AMG modded engines are really something.

A friends shop around the corner from me does a lot of work on imports, mostly drift cars, but when I was in last they were working a BMW M4. I said, jokingly, "Wheres the key?" He said "You dont want to drive it, its 1100hp."

What they're doing with some of these newer cars is amazing. Turbo technology has increased in leaps and bounds the last few years.

I've taken a Cadillac CTS in my current BMW (7 series). I like the Alpina because it's 540hp stock (probably all my silly self needs). I think the S8's are the same, but with a lighter body, so they are slightly faster. If I were considering a modded engine vehicle, I would want the name of the shop that did the work (lot of garage mods around here).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was content with 500hp in my Chevelle, but I have to admit the built 427 my friend put in it after he bought it is more fun lol. The older cars arent really for me. They're great corner to corner, but most are seriously lacking on the highway and as 'drivers' cars.

Yeah, who does the work and the parts used are important to know. Like I said earlier, they might like what they did to their car, but will you? Better to start with a clean slate if you're going to make any improvements.

I have the thought (and I might be wrong) that modern cars are a lot more complicated to mod than older cars. I read about a guy who was able to tune the Alpina to a little over 600hp and loved it be felt that the additional HP was putting a strain on other systems. I think that I would be very happy with 540hp!

proxy.php

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I find some of the best deals are on 3 year old higher end cars at the end of their lease. I don't imagine a great deal of these would have mods.

I don't know your budget, but the best deal I found was an Audi A6 with less than 30,000 miles for almost half price.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
BMW drive trains are pretty strong, especially the M class. So are Mercedes. Thats one reason AMG does engine modifications to some Mercedes models, their built with overkill in mind. Because they are strong enough to stand up to the added stresses, AMG takes advantage of that.

Alpina is to BMW what AMG is to Mercedes.

Top Bottom