What's new

Car buying time!

I'm in the market for a "personal car". Not something for the family, but something just for me to enjoy. I have been driving my current "personal car" since 1997 and it's time to upgrade. I'm not planning on brand new, but something about 4 years old with fairly low mileage and good maintenance records. In the past when buying used cars, I have avoided cars that have mods (engine, aftermarket wheels, sound systems, etc). Erring on the side of caution I tend to be more comfortable with cars that are bone stock. Some of the cars that I have looked at have a lot of mods and without some background on who did the mods, I think that I should stay away from them. Am I being irrational? Am I missing out on some great cars? What say you?

I do not think you are being irrational. Although I suspect it is easy enough to check on the quality of the wheels and sound system mods. In particular, I assume that if the sound system sounds and works okay, and is from a reasonable brand, it is okay. I personally would stay away from engine mods for the reason you gave, for fear a mod might void a warranty or something like that, and for fear an engine mod would indicate a propensity on the part of the first owner to run the car hard. Also, I suspect engine mods cut the resale value. One might even say that about the wheels/tires. What do I know, though, I drive a 2018 RAV4 hybrid.

Thanks. My problem with wheels and tires is that I have seen them cause suspension issues. You are right about the sound system. Don't sleep on that Toyota. My Sequoia has 300k miles and is still running strong!

Bolt-on mods (i.e., those that just get installed without major mechanical changes) like cold air intakes, suspension parts, better brakes, exhaust systems, etc. are pretty safe and typically won't void any warranty. Cam upgrades, gear modifications, fuel system upgrades, superchargers, turbos, etc. likely will void them. As far as being "driven hard" due to modifications, well all those parts are designed so the car can be driven hard. I'd imagine it's better for the car to be driven hard with great aftermarket mods.

Buy a Miata and it'll be fun to drive without any mods, I'm sure.

My .02, Lexus makes a fine automobile. Sporty sedans with great stock wheels,tires, and sound. Basic features are great. As you know from owning Toyota, they are reliable. I love my is250, 2015, AWD. The AWD makes driving in slick conditions and light snow great. I park her when there is deep snow, so low to the road.
B8671168-E288-4294-A993-6964EF9AC545.jpeg

You are right to have concern for cars that have been modified and you dont know who did the work. Often, when you do even simple mods, it can have serious long-term effects.
Also, chances are that if a car has been lowered, has bigger wheels or has been modified for more performance; it was owned by a younger person who probably abused it.

You are right to have concern for cars that have been modified and you dont know who did the work. Often, when you do even simple mods, it can have serious long-term effects.
Also, chances are that if a car has been lowered, has bigger wheels or has been modified for more performance; it was owned by a younger person who probably abused it.

I've seen some issues others have with modified cars. Had a buddy that bought a Lexus and the original owner had big wheels and tires on it prior to sale. It cost some money to get the suspension right. I'm a little fearful because this car will have to last me for a long time before I can buy another. I really like to get my money's worth out of a car.

Thanks. My problem with wheels and tires is that I have seen them cause suspension issues. You are right about the sound system. Don't sleep on that Toyota. My Sequoia has 300k miles and is still running strong!

Good point re wheels and tires causing suspension issues. I am sure one could research whether certain wheels and tires should not cause any issues, but that is a lot of effort and who knows whether the result of research is accurate. I think keeping to stock sends the right message to me about a former owner.

I am real happy with what I read about Toyota and Lexus' reliability, and so far so good on both marks based on my family's experiences. <this car will have to last me for a long time before I can buy another.> I buy my cars to keep them, too. It is a lot of work buying a car, even if on buys new.

A brother-in-law bought a pre-owned Lexus sedan hybrid a couple years back from a Lexus dealer. It was sitting on their lot, filthy inside and out. He told the dealer he might be interested if it could be cleaned up, and the dealer told him to come back in a couple of hours. When he went back, the car was spotless and he bought it. He said they made him an offer he couldn't refuse to get it off the lot and he swears that it's the best car he's ever owned. Like me, he's been driving since 1963. His wife's been driving a pre-owned Lexus 350 SUV for years and loves it.

I don't even know the number of cars and makes my wife and I have owned going on 50 years of marriage. At this point I don't see us owning anything but a Honda or Toyota (wish we could afford a Lexus) going forward. We just sold my wife's 2005 Odyssey and she's now driving a 2018 Rav4. I still drive a 2004 Honda Accord which runs fine. I can tell you one thing, I would never buy a car made in Mexico. We made that mistake once in the 1990's. The car and trunk leaked and smelled like mold and mildew. The head gasket went at 30k. Once repaired under warranty, we got rid of it. Never another Dodge or car from Mexico for us.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Some of the cars that I have looked at have a lot of mods and without some background on who did the mods, I think that I should stay away from them. Am I being irrational? Am I missing out on some great cars? What say you?

Modifications are made, mostly, for personal reasons. Unless you see the same reasons for them as they did, I'd pass. You're guessing at the quality of parts and work done.

A really great car that gets looked at little and noticed less is a late model Pontiac Grand Prix. The OEM suspension is good, comfortable yet firm enough for enthusiastic driving. The supercharged 3800 Series III is a fantastic engine thats been around in its base form since 1962 and makes for a surprisingly fast and quick car. Its also very reliable. The V8 model is shockingly quick, but can pose a higher expense at repair time. Simply changing the spark plugs can be expensive if you dont do it yourself.

I've been driving my 2006 GT supercharged for 4 years now. The only weak point it has is brakes. The rotors are too small and they can overheat and warp, but these are also OEM parts, not upgraded aftermarket. The aftermarket has slotted ceramic rotors and ceramic pads.

Heated power leather seats, dual climate control, AC cold enough you need a sweatshirt in August and the power to play with mid range BMW's and Mercedes. The V8 version has paddle shifters on the wheel and a heads up display that I also had in my 1999 GTP and miss. It will play with BMW M Series, AMG's and Corvettes.

On my last trip, a 12 hour highway drive each way, I averaged 28.2mpg on the way there. On the way back, 28.5mpg avg. The speed limit here is 62mph or 100k/h. I rarely drive the speed limit.

I have it drip oil sprayed every other year because of the salt on the roads here through the winter. Its garage kept and there isnt the tiniest bit of rust on it anywhere. Being FWD with traction control and ABS, neither it or my 1999 GTP, has ever been stuck in the snow.

I think it has 197,000 miles on it now and its been the most trouble free car I've owned. A friends wifes Buick had to be replaced a couple years ago because of rust. That engine, a non supercharged Series II V6, had 525,000 miles on it, ran fine and still passed emissions testing.

The second generation Buick LaCrosse with the 3.6L V6 is another very nice car, also with a HUD. All the luxury with enough sport for most if you're so inclined. Its a Caddilac CTS in disguise for considerably less cost.

I have driven a BMW since 1997. For the most part is has been a good car, but it's getting long in the tooth. I'm a fan of big German sedan. I also considered a diesel truck but everything I read is pretty scary!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just get a 2015 or so Beetle, put some number 53 stickers and racing stripes on it, and you're good for several years.

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Although I suspect it is easy enough to check on the quality of the wheels and sound system mods. In particular, I assume that if the sound system sounds and works okay, and is from a reasonable brand, it is okay.

The problem with aftermarket sound system upgrades is, they rarely upgrade the charging system. Running a powerful car stereo puts huge stresses on the charging system. A fire isnt even out of the question.

In my 1984 GMC pickup I had a massive stereo system. I swapped the OEM 45amp alternator for a 140amp, upgraded the battery to a 925CCA ACDelco and installed an isolated secondary deep cycle marine battery. With that stereo running at half volume at night, my headlights would dim with the bass notes.

If a car has an aftermarket system in it, make sure the charging system is up to it or you might be into a whole world of charging issues. My 06 GP has a 140amp alternator in it stock because it needs it for the headlights, climate control, power windows, power heated seats, rear defogger etc. Add an aftermarket sound system to that without upgrading the rest is a recipe for disaster when you least expect it.

You want to buy a used car driven by someone who does not even know about modifications. Cruise the medical center, social security office, senior citizen complex, and VFW hall, look for a vehicle with a compass on the dashboard. Leave a note under the wiper.

:)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You want to buy a used car driven by someone who does not even know about modifications. Cruise the medical center, social security office, senior citizen complex, and VFW hall, look for a vehicle with a compass on the dashboard. Leave a note under the wiper.

:)

A friend of mine is almost that bad about car buying lol. He buys a new used car every 5 years. Hes constantly scanning the for sale ad's looking for the little old ladies in small towns that dont drive very far, and finds them lol.

His cars are usually in mint condition with low miles, meticulously maintained and bought for a song.

Right now he's driving an 07 Grand Prix GT. His car before that was a 2000 Grand Prix GXP we had to drive 2 1/2 hours to get lol.

A friend of mine is almost that bad about car buying lol. He buys a new used car every 5 years. Hes constantly scanning the for sale ad's looking for the little old ladies in small towns that dont drive very far, and finds them lol.

His cars are usually in mint condition with low miles, meticulously maintained and bought for a song.

Right now he's driving an 07 Grand Prix GT. His car before that was a 2000 Grand Prix GXP we had to drive 2 1/2 hours to get lol.

Little old ladies usually don't drive Grand Prix GTs; look for Buick four door sedans, Toyota Camrys.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Little old ladies usually don't drive Grand Prix GTs; look for Buick four door sedans, Toyota Camrys.

One did. She was a retired GM employee too. Thats why she bought the GXP option package with larger wheels, lower profile tires, K&N intake and RamAir hood lol.

The Buick Park Avenue from 1997-2005 was a superb car. My 2003 was charcoal gray over cream, had almost all the bells and whistles available, rode more like a Mercedes S-Class than like a Bingo Night Express, and got 30 mpg on the highway on regular. Very little repair cost and only basic maintenance.

Most of those are long gone, but a Gen. 2 LaCrosse is probably good. And don't discount the Chrysler 300 sedan, especially the more recent upgrade with a nicer grille, 2015 and later. I'm thinking about one myself. (Just had a dream the other night about buying and driving a brand new 2018 LaCrosse convertible, white over cream, with a black convertible top that closed automatically when it detected rain. Too bad Buick doesn't make a LaCrosse convertible.)

Top Bottom