What's new

Car buying time!

How about a Pontiac G8?
I just sold my '09 G8 GT to a friend. I had a Stryker Blue one, 1 of 1,111 made. Rotofab CAI, Corsa catback, Kooks LT headers, FE3 suspension, Vector Motorsports ECU tune and Stage 2 TCM tune, AFM tuned off. Car was fun to drive and handled well too; not just a straight line car like some Chrysler cars in its class. Was a super fun car and surprised/embarassed a lot of drivers.

He plans on cam upgrade, stall converter, underdrive pulley, gear ratios, and big brake kit to start; all the things I wanted to do but didn't because I sold it to him. He wants to add a Magnacharger too.

Why would you want to buy an American car? That would support jobs for Americans -- shocking! Better to buy foreign, support jobs outside the US, and wreak havoc on the USA'sbalance of payments. That way we can wind up with no cash and worn-out cars.

While it is true that there is no such thing as 100% American made nowadays, there IS an index maintained by the prestigious Kogod School of Business at American University in Washington DC. It provides an index number to track how much American value exists in a car -- using component values for R&D, major components, final assembly, where do profits go, etc. Check it out at Auto Index

Why would you want to buy an American car? That would support jobs for Americans -- shocking!

Great question. I had bikes when I wanted to go fast, and we have a Toyota for family. American cars never had much of a reputation for being efficient or reliable, and they're way more expensive here in Thailand anyway...

2009-2012 Mercedes C-300. AWD, not good kid haulers, not exceptionally horsepowered. Prices are low because people like to buy new when it comes to a Mercedes.

I'm at the point where I don't need a kid hauler. I would like to have some horsepower to have fun with. I also want something that looks really nice for when I take the wife out on the town.

I like Aston's. They are beautiful cars, but my desire is for a sedan rather than a coupe. I have had bad luck in the past with Cadillac's so now I tend to not look at them. Now if I could find an Aston Martin Rapide in my price range I would be as happy as a pig in slop!

These are pretty saucy

7EB5BBE1-BF14-46E9-9201-68CC2DED7624.png

Interesting for all of us I’m sure. So, there’s not a whole lot of fun American sedans so I’m thinking it’s the German route for you.

Yeah. I already drive an older 7 series (1997). I rebuilt the front suspension a few years ago and it is just as fun to drive as ever. Even repairs have been pretty minimal over the life of the car.

The Panamera is a supercar, but unfortunately too small for me. In the BMW lineup, I really like the Alpina's (B6 and B7). I won't buy a new BMW because the depreciation on them is staggering. The new Jags are also exciting.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The new Jags are also exciting.

The F Type is a nice car, although a coupe, but imagine listening to one on a highway drive for a few hours.

Even my friends 2000 Grand Prix GXP became monotonous after an hour. After 3 hours you need to stop to let the ringing in your ears subside. That car had a cat back system and a K&N cold air intake with a fiberglass ram air hood. Even driving with the cruise control on, it was loud. Therefore the stereo needed to be louder to be heard and you needed to talk louder. All of that becomes very tiring if you're driving any distance.

I prefer cars that are very well behaved and nothing like that noticed until its time to not behave lol.

I was driving back from Toronto one afternoon and a V8 Maserati Quattroporte came by me in the center lane. Naturally I had to speed up a bit :001_tt1:, but what I noticed about it was, the same as the AMG CLK63/65, they're very docile until they step on the gas. Those Italian engines sure do sing a sweet song though. The engines are also designed and assembled by Ferrari. Driving behind the AMG I couldnt even hear it until I came out to pass. The whole world came to life then though lol.

Top Bottom